Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for cabinet-hanging hardware

I'm looking for some hardware to hang a cabinet. What I need is
somthing like this:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50426&ap=4

except horizontal instead of vertical. That is, the plate would be
attached horizontally to the cabinet, but the keyhole would still be
vertical.

I've been googling around and haven't been able to come up with
anything. Does anyone know of a source?

Reply-to address is real
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

You might just make a cleat solution, like shown here
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remo...-solution.html

or

Get a keyhole router bit and don't use a plate, just cut the slot in
the wood. http://www.toolbarn.com/bits/router/bits/keyhole.html

somthing like this:http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3,40914,5...

except horizontal instead of vertical. *That is, the plate would be
attached horizontally to the cabinet, but the keyhole would still be
vertical.

I've been googling around and haven't been able to come up with
anything. *Does anyone know of a source?

Reply-to address is real
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:25:31 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

You might just make a cleat solution, like shown here
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remo...-solution.html

or

Get a keyhole router bit and don't use a plate, just cut the slot in
the wood. http://www.toolbarn.com/bits/router/bits/keyhole.html

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat.

The keyhole bit might work but it would be an awkward cut.

(This isn't my project. A friend bought a cabinet and expected it to
have a mounting plate like the one I described because a previous one
he bought did, but this one didn't. So he's looking for one.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply-to address is real
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote:

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat.

A French cleat should solve that problem.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"John" wrote:

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat.

A French cleat should solve that problem.

?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote:

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat.

A French cleat should solve that problem.

?

It is called a Freedom Cleat now.
HTH

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
A French cleat should solve that problem.

Some places they're called z clips.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41308

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"John" wrote:

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat.

A French cleat should solve that problem.

Lew

If the back of the cabinet is not inset and the cabinet must be flush with
the wall, then a French cleat will not solve the problem unless the owner is
willing to modify the cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LD" wrote:

If the back of the cabinet is not inset and the cabinet must be
flush with the wall, then a French cleat will not solve the problem
unless the owner is willing to modify the cabinet.

Agreed; however, my guess is that if you picked up the cabinet and
held it against the wall, there would still be some gaps since the
wall and/or the cabinet back are not totally flat.

My guess this is much to do about little.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remo...08/10/a-cabine...

or

Get a keyhole router bit and don't use a plate, just cut the slot in
the wood.http://www.toolbarn.com/bits/router/bits/keyhole.html

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat. *

The keyhole bit might work but it would be an awkward cut.

(This isn't my project. *A friend bought a cabinet and expected it to
have a mounting plate like the one I described because a previous one
he bought did, but this one didn't. *So he's looking for one.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply-to address is real
John

What material is the back? How is it mounted to the cabinet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You might just make a cleat solution, like shown here
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remo...08/10/a-cabine...

or

Get a keyhole router bit and don't use a plate, just cut the slot in
the wood.http://www.toolbarn.com/bits/router/bits/keyhole.html

The cleat wouldn't work because the cabinet has to sit flush against
the wall and the back isn't recessed to allow an inset cleat. *

The keyhole bit might work but it would be an awkward cut.

(This isn't my project. *A friend bought a cabinet and expected it to
have a mounting plate like the one I described because a previous one
he bought did, but this one didn't. *So he's looking for one.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply-to address is real
John

What material is the back? How is it mounted to the cabinet?

I don't know. Like I said above, this isn't my project, but a
friend's. From the sound of it he was expecting the cabinet to have
the sort of hardware that I described so he prepared the wall
accordingly with a horizontal 2x4 into which he'd drive the screws to
hang it on. When the cabinet arrived without the mounting brackets, I
figured they'd be easy enough to find so I didn't ask about whether he
could screw through the cabinet back and into the wall. I guess
that's the next thing for him to consider.

Reply-to address is real
John

Cabinet hanging stand? Just Joshin Home Repair 9 July 9th 07 12:58 AM
Hanging outdoor lamp hardware [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 8th 07 11:40 PM
cabinet hardware Renata Woodworking 9 September 11th 06 07:08 PM
CABINET HARDWARE J T Woodworking 2 October 20th 05 02:30 PM
removable cabinet hanging Rewsta Woodworking 9 October 4th 05 04:58 PM