DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DeWalt 735 planer (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/284307-dewalt-735-planer.html)

Joe Bleau August 11th 09 02:55 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. Reading
reviews of the Dewalt 735. One reviewer claims he liked everything
but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost
immediately. Anyone here had similar experience. Lowes has them now
for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

Doug Miller August 11th 09 03:23 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

In article , Joe Bleau wrote:
I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. Reading
reviews of the Dewalt 735. One reviewer claims he liked everything
but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost
immediately. Anyone here had similar experience. Lowes has them now
for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

Hard to see what the thickness of the blade would have to do with how long it
holds an edge. In any event, I've had a 735 for about five years now, and that
has not been my experience; I wonder what that reviewer was running through
his planer...

krw[_5_] August 11th 09 04:24 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:23:40 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Joe Bleau wrote:
I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. Reading
reviews of the Dewalt 735. One reviewer claims he liked everything
but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost
immediately. Anyone here had similar experience. Lowes has them now
for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

Hard to see what the thickness of the blade would have to do with how long it
holds an edge. In any event, I've had a 735 for about five years now, and that
has not been my experience; I wonder what that reviewer was running through
his planer...

I bought a 735 last year[*] and though I don't need them, noticed the
blades are more expensive than those for the 734.
[*] paid about $425 at Lowes then

Leon[_6_] August 11th 09 05:15 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. Reading
reviews of the Dewalt 735. One reviewer claims he liked everything
but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost
immediately. Anyone here had similar experience. Lowes has them now
for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

OK, you have a valid concern. You have a portable now that apparently is
not fulfilling your needs or wishes. Now you are considering the purchase
of another portable that will probably follow in those foot steps. Portable
plainers have gone the route of todays printers. The printers are cheap,
the replacement ink cartridges are expensive and don't last. My old AP10
portable has the same blades it came with, the old fashoned style, the ones
you can resharpen over and over. You cannot do that with most any of the
portables these days.

You want to up grade and you seem to justify the $600 for the new
"portable". You probably want to use the new planer more. How much more
are you going to spend on new blades when they get dull? You have a planer
now so you really don't need a replacement unless you want more capacity. I
suggest you do what I did several years ago and buy your last new planer.
Get a full sized one with blades that can be resharpened and basically run
circles around any protable.

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

Doug Miller August 11th 09 01:01 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

In article , krw wrote:

I bought a 735 last year[*] and though I don't need them, noticed the
blades are more expensive than those for the 734.

The 735 uses three blades. Doesn't the 734 have only two?

Doug Miller August 11th 09 01:06 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

In article , "Leon" wrote:

OK, you have a valid concern. You have a portable now that apparently is
not fulfilling your needs or wishes. Now you are considering the purchase
of another portable that will probably follow in those foot steps. Portable
plainers have gone the route of todays printers. The printers are cheap,
the replacement ink cartridges are expensive and don't last.

I don't think the comparison is valid, Leon. It's not unusual for a set of
replacement ink cartridges to exceed 75% of the cost of a new printer, but it
*is* unusual for a set of replacement planer blades to exceed 10-15% of the
cost of the planer.

My old AP10
portable has the same blades it came with, the old fashoned style, the ones
you can resharpen over and over. You cannot do that with most any of the
portables these days.

As I've noted repeatedly, the blades on the DW735 *can* be resharpened
(perhaps "honed" is a better word) several times before they need to be
discarded.

You want to up grade and you seem to justify the $600 for the new
"portable". You probably want to use the new planer more. How much more
are you going to spend on new blades when they get dull?

Nothing, if he buys a DW735. By the third or fourth time that the blades get
dull, then he has to spend about sixty bucks on a new set.

You have a planer
now so you really don't need a replacement unless you want more capacity. I
suggest you do what I did several years ago and buy your last new planer.
Get a full sized one with blades that can be resharpened and basically run
circles around any protable.

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

That extra $350 will buy five or six sets of blades for a DW735, which should
last for several years at least.

krw[_5_] August 12th 09 01:19 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:01:10 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , krw wrote:

I bought a 735 last year[*] and though I don't need them, noticed the
blades are more expensive than those for the 734.

The 735 uses three blades. Doesn't the 734 have only two?

According to this the 734 also has three blades:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5934

bumhead August 12th 09 02:17 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

DW734 12 and 1/2 inch wide, 3 blades, one speed. appx $400

DW735 13 inches wide, 3 blades, two speeds. appx $600

Leon[_6_] August 12th 09 03:01 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

OK, you have a valid concern. You have a portable now that apparently is
not fulfilling your needs or wishes. Now you are considering the purchase
of another portable that will probably follow in those foot steps.
Portable
plainers have gone the route of todays printers. The printers are cheap,
the replacement ink cartridges are expensive and don't last.

I don't think the comparison is valid, Leon. It's not unusual for a set of
replacement ink cartridges to exceed 75% of the cost of a new printer, but
it
*is* unusual for a set of replacement planer blades to exceed 10-15% of
the
cost of the planer.

I think the compairison is very valid. When the portables first came out
the blades were not disposable and lasted a very long time and they cost
about as much ase the disposables. In th old days printers were more
expensive and the replace ink cartridges were cheap.

My old AP10
portable has the same blades it came with, the old fashoned style, the
ones
you can resharpen over and over. You cannot do that with most any of the
portables these days.

As I've noted repeatedly, the blades on the DW735 *can* be resharpened
(perhaps "honed" is a better word) several times before they need to be
discarded.

Regardless can you hone/shapren your disposable blades down 1/4"

You want to up grade and you seem to justify the $600 for the new
"portable". You probably want to use the new planer more. How much more
are you going to spend on new blades when they get dull?

Nothing, if he buys a DW735. By the third or fourth time that the blades
get
dull, then he has to spend about sixty bucks on a new set.

If you baby the blades.

You have a planer
now so you really don't need a replacement unless you want more capacity.
suggest you do what I did several years ago and buy your last new planer.
Get a full sized one with blades that can be resharpened and basically run
circles around any protable.

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a
little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

That extra $350 will buy five or six sets of blades for a DW735, which
should
last for several years at least.

The blades on the Griz probably would out last the DeWalt planer.

Doug Miller August 12th 09 03:57 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

wrote:

[...]

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I guess.

My old AP10
portable has the same blades it came with, the old fashoned style, the ones
you can resharpen over and over. You cannot do that with most any of the
portables these days.

As I've noted repeatedly, the blades on the DW735 *can* be resharpened
(perhaps "honed" is a better word) several times before they need to be
discarded.

Regardless can you hone/shapren your disposable blades down 1/4"

No, not that far, I'll admit -- my point is only that it's not necessary to
discard the blades as soon as they become dull.

You want to up grade and you seem to justify the $600 for the new
"portable". You probably want to use the new planer more. How much more
are you going to spend on new blades when they get dull?

Nothing, if he buys a DW735. By the third or fourth time that the blades get
dull, then he has to spend about sixty bucks on a new set.

If you baby the blades.

If you hone the blades when they get dull.

You have a planer
now so you really don't need a replacement unless you want more capacity. I
suggest you do what I did several years ago and buy your last new planer.
Get a full sized one with blades that can be resharpened and basically run
circles around any protable.

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

That extra $350 will buy five or six sets of blades for a DW735, which should
last for several years at least.

The blades on the Griz probably would out last the DeWalt planer.

Probably so -- but I imagine five or six sets of blades would too, if they're
rehoned when they get dull. Bottom line is that if the OP is doing enough
planing to run through a set of DW735 blades -- including rehoning when dull
-- in a year or less, he's probably a *lot* better off taking your advice than
taking mine. But if his usage is lighter, to the point that a set of blades,
including rehoning, lasts for three or four years, then he may be better off
taking my advice than yours. :-)

RonB[_2_] August 12th 09 03:58 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Aug 10, 11:15*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Joe Bleau" wrote in message

I have been thinking about replacing my portable 12" planer. *Reading
reviews of the Dewalt 735. *One reviewer claims he liked everything
but the blades which he claims are so thin that they dull almost
immediately. *Anyone here had similar experience. *Lowes has them now
for $599 vs. $649 everywhere else on the web.

My old Ryobi is wearing down and I also have been looking at planers.
I saw several bad reviews on the 735 and many were regarding fast-
dulling blades. Some others chain failure. However, many of the bad
news reviews came from early days right after its release. Later
reviews seem more positive. The blade issue might be left over from
early experience. Current users who post here seem to like theirs.

LEON Wrote:
If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. *And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the
machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and
loves it.

Do you own one?

The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have
grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the
big boy candy store!

Leon[_6_] August 12th 09 05:21 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

..

The blades on the Griz probably would out last the DeWalt planer.

Probably so -- but I imagine five or six sets of blades would too, if
they're
rehoned when they get dull. Bottom line is that if the OP is doing enough
planing to run through a set of DW735 blades -- including rehoning when
dull
-- in a year or less, he's probably a *lot* better off taking your advice
than
taking mine. But if his usage is lighter, to the point that a set of
blades,
including rehoning, lasts for three or four years, then he may be better
off
taking my advice than yours. :-)

I was coming from the stand point that he already has a portable planer that
he wants to upgrade from. IMHO $600 gets him another portable, 50% more and
he has a lifetime unit with much higher capicity.

Leon[_6_] August 12th 09 05:29 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

"RonB" wrote in message
LEON Wrote:
If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a
little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the
machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and
loves it.

Do you own one?

No! I own the Delta 15" stationary planer.
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=17887
I do see a distince advantage that this particular Griz design has over the
Delta that I have. The motor is on the lower side of the machine. The
advantage here is that the elevation crank does not have to lift the heavy
motor and cutter head assembly, it only has to lift the table, and the motor
does not have to be moved to change blades. OTOH the table on the Griz
moves up and down which could be a disadvantage if you use an auxillary
infeed or outfeed platform.

The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have
grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the
big boy candy store!

I'd be on that like a duck on'a June bug.

Steve Turner[_3_] August 12th 09 12:06 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

RonB wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the
machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and
loves it.

Do you own one?

The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have
grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the
big boy candy store!

I have the G0453. Very nice machine; go for it.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Doug Miller August 12th 09 12:14 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

In article , "Leon" wrote:

I was coming from the stand point that he already has a portable planer that
he wants to upgrade from. IMHO $600 gets him another portable, 50% more and
he has a lifetime unit with much higher capicity.

And I don't disagree. If he has the budget, he may well be better off that
way. I just wanted to point out that the "disposable" blades are, in my
experience, much longer-lived than many people seem to think.

Tanus August 12th 09 11:27 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Leon wrote:

I'd be on that like a duck on'a June bug.

Gotta love the Texans. Round here we use "be on that like a fat kid on a
Smartie"

Kevin August 13th 09 04:04 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:15:32 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

Of course there's the little matter of the thing weighing 650 lbs. I
don't think the mobile base will help too much getting it down the
stairs into the shop... That's not going to be an issue for some
people, but 650 lbs instead of ~65 lbs is a big difference.

-Kevin

Leon[_6_] August 13th 09 05:03 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

wrote:

If you can justify spending $600 for an upgrade surely yu can save a
little
longer and get a permanent upgrade for $350 more, shipped. And it will do
15" and has a built in mobile base.

http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

Of course there's the little matter of the thing weighing 650 lbs. I
don't think the mobile base will help too much getting it down the
stairs into the shop... That's not going to be an issue for some
people, but 650 lbs instead of ~65 lbs is a big difference.

-Kevin

where there is a will there is a way.

dpb August 13th 09 05:23 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Jack Stein wrote:
Steve, I'm thinking of buying this sucker, and am wondering about the
delivery. Grizzly says I'm responsible for getting it off the truck
with no help from the driver. I would think the truck would have a lift
gate to get the sucker off the truck? Does it come in one piece? How
much trouble was it to get this thing off the truck?

Lift gate service is normally extra fee and you'll tell 'em when you
purchase and arrange the shipping if go that route.

Regular truck all the driver is responsible for is to get it to the back
door for access w/ forklift.

I look at the more local lines for delivery most will have dock pickup
at their terminal available for either free into your truck or less than
most liftgate service charges. Of course, if you don't have truck or
way to get off the pickup...

Jack Stein August 13th 09 06:20 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Steve Turner wrote:

Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://jbstein.com

krw[_5_] August 14th 09 02:27 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:20:38 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:
RonB wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the
machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and
loves it.

Do you own one?

The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have
grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the
big boy candy store!

I have the G0453. Very nice machine; go for it.

Steve, I'm thinking of buying this sucker, and am wondering about the
delivery. Grizzly says I'm responsible for getting it off the truck
with no help from the driver. I would think the truck would have a lift
gate to get the sucker off the truck? Does it come in one piece? How
much trouble was it to get this thing off the truck?

I was worried about that when I bought my Unisaw but they did deliver
it with a lift-gate truck. The driver was nice enough to help me up
the driveway (using his hand jack) with it too. He didn't have to,
YMMV, may cause abdominal bleeding...

Leon[_6_] August 14th 09 03:48 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Jack Stein" wrote in message

I have a truck but still no easy way to get 700 lbs off of it any more
than their truck. Not sure I would want a $1000 machine weighing that
much on my tail gate anyway.

Aw come on, that would just be like 3 slightly bigger than guys setting on
your tail gate.

Leon[_6_] August 14th 09 03:51 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Jack Stein" wrote in message

That would make sense. Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff to
consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off the
truck? I have a truck and normally haul my own purchases, but I have had
stuff delivered and not only did they off load it, but brought it in the
house. I once had a refrigerator delivered and they took the door off of
it to get it up the steps. Off the top of my head, I would think if
something is "delivered" it would mean at a minimum, sitting on my
property? Sitting on their truck doesn't get it. Most homes don't have a
fork lift handy:-)

The big difference here is that you are dealing with a 3rd party freight
company. Your refrigerator probably was delivered from a local warehouse or
store by a hot shot service or company owned vehicle.

dpb August 14th 09 03:52 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Jack Stein wrote:
... Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff
to consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off
the truck? I have a truck and normally haul my own purchases, but I
have had stuff delivered and not only did they off load it, but brought
it in the house. I once had a refrigerator delivered and they took the
door off of it to get it up the steps. Off the top of my head, I would
think if something is "delivered" it would mean at a minimum, sitting on
my property? Sitting on their truck doesn't get it. Most homes don't
have a fork lift handy:-)

Shipping isn't a retail business -- you're dealing w/ the trucking
company, not a merchant.

They have the offload service (well, at least some do) but it is an
extra-charge service.

Grizzly has good reputation for using trucking companies that are more
home-delivery-friendly than some of the major lines that really are only
set up for offloading at terminal facilities.

Again, you simply have to be sure when dealing w/ such shipments to get
delivery by the level of service you require. As others have noted it's
not unheard of for driver to help beyond what is actually required to do
but that's a result you can't rely on; you've got to be able to take
delivery based on the specifics of what you request/pay for. If you
need lift gate be sure they vendor knows it to use the proper shipper.

Again, since Griz sells a lot to homeowners who don't have the
facilities they have good contacts for the situation; just have to be
particularly careful if dealing w/ outfits that normally don't serve the
market.

Jack Stein August 14th 09 04:28 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:
RonB wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Got Change: America === Amerika
http://jbstein.com

Kevin August 14th 09 04:45 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:28:37 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

That would make sense. Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff
to consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off
the truck? I have a truck and normally haul my own purchases, but I
have had stuff delivered and not only did they off load it, but brought
it in the house. I once had a refrigerator delivered and they took the
door off of it to get it up the steps. Off the top of my head, I would
think if something is "delivered" it would mean at a minimum, sitting on
my property? Sitting on their truck doesn't get it. Most homes don't
have a fork lift handy:-)

When I've bought from Amazon and it was actually shipping by Amazon,
they have always shown up with a lift gate or two guys, or both, and
they bring it to the door. And that's with free shipping. Guess
where I always look first?

My Jet jointer ordered through Woodcraft was delivered by Jet and
there was a lift gate though I didn't pay for one, and to my shock the
driver just kept on going with it on the pallet jack right up my steep
driveway, and turned down my offer to help once I picked my jaw up,
and I had to pick it up again. But now Woodcraft spells out delivery
options with some hefty fees on Jet items, so I guess those days are
over.

With my Grizzly edge sander the truck did not have a lift gate, but
the driver did help getting it off. Once it was off the truck he was
outta there. But the edge sander wasn't that heavy, about 250 or so.

The trucking company is always going to call you to arrange the
delivery, and I strongly suspect they aren't going to show up at a
residential address with a 700 lb crate without working out how it's
getting off the truck ahead of time.

-Kevin

RonB[_2_] August 14th 09 04:49 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:
RonB wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

When I bought my 1023S cabinet saw from Grizzly I had the shipper hold
it at the trucking terminal which was only about 8 miles from the
house. I had called them earlier and they were very accommodating
with helping me get the carton onto my pickup at no cost. From there
I used some ramps and a couple of beefy neighbors to unload it into my
garage. With the wings and fence separate it was pretty easy to get
off.

I believe the G0453 is still being shipped free; so local lift-gate
service might not amount to a horrible shipping cost.

The G053 comes with its own, built in mobile base and I believe the
one I saw in the warehouse at the Springfield was mounted on a
pallet. BUT I WOULD NOT count on using the mobile base to unload it
from a pickup truck unless you have several helpers. I have had to
move my 450-500 pound cabinet saw a couple of times during the past
year. Even with a low trailer, the bottom of the base/saw got high
centered at the edge of the trailer and we had to help it along with a
pry-bar. When it got past the friction-point it was "Ready to
Roll!!!" Three of us controlled it but it didn't weigh 600+ pounds.
If that thing tipped it could be a really bad day.

Swingman August 15th 09 02:36 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

Leon wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
That would make sense. Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff to
consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off the
truck?

Just took delivery of $9K + worth of 5 1/2" reclaimed pine flooring
(from a tobacco shed in NC), bought directly from a retail flooring
company, and had to pay both shipping, and for someone to unload it off
the 18 wheeler on the construction site. It is rare that long haul
drivers are equipped otherwise.

Granted, had I been in on the original negotiation, things may have been
a bit different, but the client decided to act on her own ... and paid
the price.

That notwithstanding, it happens more often than you think ... :(

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Lee Michaels August 15th 09 03:37 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
That would make sense. Hard to imagine a retail company selling stuff
to consumers and making it the consumers responsibility to get it off
the truck?

Just took delivery of $9K + worth of 5 1/2" reclaimed pine flooring (from
a tobacco shed in NC), bought directly from a retail flooring company, and
had to pay both shipping, and for someone to unload it off the 18 wheeler
on the construction site. It is rare that long haul drivers are equipped
otherwise.

Granted, had I been in on the original negotiation, things may have been a
bit different, but the client decided to act on her own ... and paid the
price.

That notwithstanding, it happens more often than you think ... :(

--

My dad was known in a small town as a wiz with a forklift. He was hired out
all over town often to offload verious loads. The sand and gravel company

bumhead August 15th 09 05:07 AM

DeWalt 735 planer

Just had a Grizzly table saw delivered by SAIA freight. GO444, but it
only weighed 291lbs. Delivery driver helped me slide it down my "home
build ramp" from his truck into my truck. Then two of my neighbors
helped me unload it into my shop. I didn't see any kind of lift gate
or any dollies or anything to unload on the delivery truck.. I would
plan no help from the delivery company. GO453...A LOT OF WEIGHT AND
MONEY TO BE COUNTING ON THE DRIVER TO UNLOAD.

George (aka Bumhead)

wrote:

Steve Turner[_3_] August 15th 09 08:10 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
RonB wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:15 pm, "Leon" wrote:
http://www.grizzley.com/products/15-Planer/G0453

LEON - You seem to be suggesting the G0453. That is exactly the
machine I am settling in on. My son-in-law has an earlier version and
loves it.

Do you own one?

The Grizzly store is only about 2+ hours away and we have
grandchildren just south of the route. What an excuse to go to the
big boy candy store!

I have the G0453. Very nice machine; go for it.

Steve, I'm thinking of buying this sucker, and am wondering about the
delivery. Grizzly says I'm responsible for getting it off the truck
with no help from the driver. I would think the truck would have a lift
gate to get the sucker off the truck? Does it come in one piece? How
much trouble was it to get this thing off the truck?

I've ordered two large machines from Grizzly in the last year (the
aforementioned planer and a big cyclone dust collector) and both times
the freight company (SAIA - http://www.saia.com) brought a truck that
had a lift gate, and the driver helped me push the containers up my
driveway (on a 5-degree incline!) and into my garage. Gave the fellow a
nice tip, and I expect he'll give me the same service next time I order
a big machine. I can't guarantee you'll be so lucky, but as somebody
else mentioned, I doubt the freight company would send a truck without
at least leaving themselves a way to get the containers off the truck.

dpb August 15th 09 08:27 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Steve Turner wrote:
else mentioned, I doubt the freight company would send a truck without
at least leaving themselves a way to get the containers off the truck.

That's a naive assumption at best unless they were notified a priori.

How much to expect is highly dependent on the carrier; fortunately the
Griz is pretty hip to the fact that most of their machines don't go to
commercial locations; but if the shipper uses one of the major
cross-country carriers they generally only deliver to facilities that
have the provisions and they'll expect the same thing wherever they're
told to deliver.

Again, it's just to make sure up front what's needed is going to be
provided that's important.

While there are many stories of the great assistance drivers have given,
there are others where the truck didn't have lift gate/whatever and the
driver isn't so amenable. On a route/truck of that type it's his job to
get it to the rear of the truck and anything past that is purely a
volunteer effort on his part. Just have to be prepared for it if it
happens; hence the previous admonition... :)

Steve Turner[_3_] August 15th 09 09:38 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
else mentioned, I doubt the freight company would send a truck without
at least leaving themselves a way to get the containers off the truck.

That's a naive assumption at best unless they were notified a priori.

For the past twenty years (or more) my homes have been in residential
neighborhoods, and I've had plenty of freight items delivered
(woodworking and otherwise). In no case did a shipper ever send a truck
that didn't have a way to get the freight unloaded, and I didn't have to
call any of them ahead of time to explain that my address was in a
residential neighborhood, and that I didn't own a fork lift. I've had
plenty of them call *me* with that assumption already made, and to
verify it was true; if I ran a shipping company I'd probably do the same
to avoid wasting everybody's time. That said, I'm sure there are plenty
of stories to the contrary (particularly for you guys out in the
sticks), and I would never advocate "assuming" anything, except perhaps
the worst case scenario already pointed out by Grizzly to the customer
at the original time of purchase.

Jack asked what my experience was and I told him. The End.

dpb August 15th 09 11:03 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

Steve Turner wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
else mentioned, I doubt the freight company would send a truck
without at least leaving themselves a way to get the containers off
the truck.

That's a naive assumption at best unless they were notified a priori.

Jack asked what my experience was and I told him. The End.

I didn't say it wasn't your experience; I simply reiterated the point
The Griz made to Jack that it's his responsibility and to assume his
experience will be yours w/o verifying isn't 100% guaranteed...

One can hope trucking companies would do what seems obvious; my
experience has not been nearly as salubrious as yours apparently has
been[1] and that is highly dependent on the company.

Finis.... :) (And, again, I wasn't after you...)

[1] I've even had the experience of specifically ordering and being
billed for lift gate service and the over-the-road truck showed up w/
Bubba's larger (and less bright and more belligerent) brother as the
driver...fortunately, I did have the frontend loader on the tractor at
the time and it was something I could handle with it instead of
requiring a forklift. Given _my_ range of experiences, I'm probably
excessively cautious any more... :(

Jack Stein August 17th 09 03:53 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

I appreciate all the responses on this. I'd guess the type of service
you get would be different in different locales, and would also guess
Grizzly is pretty good at getting things right for you, being a retail
business dependent on retail on-line and mail orders rather than in
store sales. If I go this route, I'll make certain delivery
arrangements are somehow made clear ahead of time. Never dealt with
Grizzly before so it would be a new experience for me, but certainly not
for Griz.

Bill August 17th 09 05:43 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Jack,

I was thinking about ordering from Grizzly and I don't have any special
garage/workshop which has a short, straight, concrete driveway), so I hope
you will share the results of your delivery experience.

Bill

RonB[_2_] August 17th 09 06:33 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

On Aug 17, 9:53*am, Jack Stein wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

I don't know where you live but the delivery of my 1023S cabinet saw
was very fast. I placed the internet order one evening and about 36
hours later I got a call from the local truck depot wanting to arrange
pickup. At that time we lived in Wichita, Ks which is about 250 miles
from the Springfield store.

Ron

Bill August 17th 09 08:47 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

That's the same TS I was thinking about ordering! I may make an overnight
trip to one of their showrooms (MS, I think).

Bill

Bill August 17th 09 11:25 PM

DeWalt 735 planer

"Bill" wrote in message
That's the same TS I was thinking about ordering! I may make an
overnight trip to one of their showrooms (MS, I think).

Oops, I mean MO (Springfield). Gotta get those state abbreviations down...