Conan the Librarian

Default Mark Shafer's oil/beeswax gel finish

Wooddorkers,

Mark sent me a sample of his product as he promised. I have only
had the opportunity to sample it on a scrap piece of curly koa so far,
and I must say, it looks nice. It has a nice thick consistency,
smells good and goes on very smoothly. It popped the grain on the koa
as well as expected. I will give it another coat tomorrow to see how
it looks.

I will need to try it on some real projects to see how it covers,
and what it looks like after it has aged a bit, but so far so good. I
looks like it would work especially nicely for bowls and such. I am a
big fan of the Tried & True finishes, so that will be my point of
comparison.

I know he basically spammed the newsgroup with his product
announcement, but it looks like he has come up with a nice finish.
I'll post again when I have had the chance to experiment some more.

Chuck Vance
Conan the Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

What about fingerprints? That has always been my biggest
gripe about beeswax finishes. They never buff well enough
to keep from showing fingerprints and hand smears. That's
why I opted for the T&T Varnish Oil instead of their beez
original finish.

Hmmm ... I've never noticed a problem with fingerprints. I've used
T&T's original on several bowls and other small carvings with no
problems (and these are the sorts of things that beg to be handled).
Heck, I even used the stuff on my workbench.

Are you sure you're following the directions correctly, Lar? :-)

Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:32:30 -0500, Nova
brought forth from the murky depths:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 23 Feb 2004 17:09:44 -0800, (Conan the Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

--beeswaxy product snippage--
What about fingerprints?

snip

Larry, if you'd pay for the pieces you wouldn't have to worry about fingerprints.
;-)

Aw, c'mon, Yack. You're no fun.

This just in:
http://www.theonion.com/news.php?i=1&n=1
Doesn't Tawm live in Massatwo****s? What'll he do?

--== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:30:29 GMT, Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 23 Feb 2004 17:09:44 -0800, (Conan the Librarian)
brought forth from the murky depths:

--beeswaxy product snippage--
What about fingerprints?

snip

Larry, if you'd pay for the pieces you wouldn't have to worry about fingerprints.
;-)

Aw, c'mon, Yack. You're no fun.

This just in:
http://www.theonion.com/news.php?i=1&n=1
Doesn't Tawm live in Massatwo****s? What'll he do?

Addendum:
I just realized he lives in Pennsyltuckey, but all those
eastern states look alike to me from here. Sest lavvy.