Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS

A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

Posted to rec.woodworking

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

..

The one with the best value will be the one that cuts the most accurately,
effeciently and easy to use regardless of what kind of casters it has. A
saw that is a PIA to use but easy to roll around is worthless.

According to Google and the Hitachi web sites there is no C11FL saw, there
is a C10 FL however.

Peraonally I would steer away from a saw with a 2 piece front rail fence
guide as is the case with the Hitachi.

My choice would be the Griz.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

The better value is the one that makes you happy; not knowing the prices I
have no clue. The casters are nice to have if you must move the saw. As
for including the saw blade, don't let that be a consideration. The blade
they give you is worth about $10 retail and is suitable for cutting a 2 x 4,
not real woodworking. The first thing you should do is invest in a good
combination blade from Infinity, Ridge Carbide, Forrest, etc.

I'd get the saw with the better fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

.

The one with the best value will be the one that cuts the most accurately,
effeciently and easy to use regardless of what kind of casters it has. A
saw that is a PIA to use but easy to roll around is worthless.

According to Google and the Hitachi web sites there is no C11FL saw, there
is a C10 FL however.

Probably one of those cases where the model number and some trivial item are
modified for Lowe's (or HD, or other large retailer) so that there cannot be
a competitive match... nobody else sells "the same item."

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas,

There have been several negative comments on the Hitachi saws on the
sawmillcreek discussion board.

cm

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

Posted to rec.woodworking

A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

I have about a month's experience with the G0444Z and it was very
good.

I have owned a Grizzly G1023S cabinet saw for about eight years and
couldn't be happier with it. Solid Saw, good power and the Shop Fox
Classic fence is a very effective Biesemeyer clone that actually
scored as well as the Bies in some recent reviews. About three years
ago our son built his owned house in SW Missouri and we spent 3-4
weeks down there helping him trim it. He had access to many tools but
I told him he would have to acquire a good table saw. He drove up to
Springfield and picked up the Z. The first thing I noticed was it had
the new aluminum version of the Shop Fox Classic fence , and I found
it to be lighter but functionally very similar to the classic. The Z
also comes with cast iron tables very similar to my 1023S. The 2hp
motor seemed nearly as strong as my 3HP. I was able to get used to
using the machine with very little trouble.

If you are leaning toward the Griz product I might suggest you drop
the extra $100 for a Z. The value you get with the cast iron wings
and larger motor is well worth it. Be aware though that the Z version
is a 220v machine. If 220 is a problem, I'm sure the basic machine
will serve you well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was interrupted.

A final note -- I ended up assembling this 10444Z saw. The sheet
metal legs and cross-supports are very substantial on the G0444Z, far
exceeding the Craftsman table saw I owned years ago. We put a Shop-
Fox mobile base under it which makes moving the machine very easy.
The miter gauge was, well a miter gauge. I believe it was the same as
my 1023S which I thought would be replaced by now with an aftermarket
gauge. I guess the fact that I'm still using it says it's OK.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

A couple years ago, I did much research on contractor saws, ($500 range) my
conclusion was the Griz 444Z looked to be the best deal going. Things
changed, bought nothing for a year, now have Griz 1023.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Any reason you're avoiding the Ridgid TS3660 or R4511?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and

Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Any reason you're avoiding the Ridgid TS3660 or R4511?

It doesn't look like HD carries the TS3660 any longer. They've got the
new granite top version, and it's lacking on fit and finish. Sad to see
such a value go.

It might be different at the OP's HD, but if you want one you'll probably
have to call around.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts,
now I have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444
and the Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better
buy as it includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both
Grizzly and Hitachi equipment, and am looking for feed back on
which is the better value.

Any reason you're avoiding the Ridgid TS3660 or R4511?

It doesn't look like HD carries the TS3660 any longer. They've got
the new granite top version, and it's lacking on fit and finish. Sad
to see such a value go.

It might be different at the OP's HD, but if you want one you'll
probably have to call around.

I'd say that it's worth calling around for a 3660. I haven't seen the
granite topped saw personally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

*I haven't seen the granite topped saw personally.

I have seen it. Very uninspiring.

I guess I just don't get it. Why granite?

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
I haven't seen the granite topped saw personally.

I have seen it. Very uninspiring.

I guess I just don't get it. Why granite?

Doesn't rust.

I'm curious--what shortcomings do you observe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 1:54*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
RonB wrote:
I haven't seen the granite topped saw personally.

I have seen it. *Very uninspiring.

I guess I just don't get it. *Why granite?

Doesn't rust.

I'm curious--what shortcomings do you observe?

It does chip, break, stain and other assorted things. Granite
requires maintenance in the Kitchen and my shop is maybe a little
tougher environment that that.

I occasionally drop things.

Why does this, too, remind me of Craftsman of the mid-70's?

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 2:14*pm, RonB wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:54*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

RonB wrote:
I haven't seen the granite topped saw personally.

I have seen it. *Very uninspiring.

I guess I just don't get it. *Why granite?

Doesn't rust.

I'm curious--what shortcomings do you observe?

It does chip, break, stain and other assorted things. *Granite
requires maintenance in the Kitchen and my shop is maybe a little
tougher environment that that.

I occasionally drop things.

Why does this, too, remind me of Craftsman of the mid-70's?

RonB

I have the Griz, and it has been a good saw. It came with a blade,
but that was only good for firewood. Get a WW2 or equivelant for
actual woodworking. I was amazed at the difference between a new
"factory" blade and the Forrest WW2. Run 220vac if you can.

Hope this helps.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 1, 6:12*am, (THOMAS CLEVELAND) wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I
have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the
Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it
includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi
equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

I have the cheapest of the Hitachi TS's. While I have to say that I
got good value for the $200, I'd never buy it again. Too many little
details were wrong with it out of the box, and it's braking down after
3 yrs of light/moderate use. I'm willing to bet that the higher models
have the same problems.
Get anything but....

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

Follow up on previous post.

I was in Lowes yesterday and saw their CF10 table saw. In my humble
opinion, the fence and rail are no close match for the Grizzly fence
and rail - too lightweight and the fence seemed weak. The machine on
the floor didn't have table extensions mounted yet so I don't know if
they are sheet metal or cast. the rest of the machine looked OK and
the built in casters are kinda nice.

I'd still go with the Griz.

Ron