Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ebony Wood Where Are You?

Both of my local yards don't carry ebony wood. Woodcraft carries it,
but it costs an arm and a leg. Anyone know of a good mail order for
it?

I need a few 8" strips for some inlay. And a few 1/4" square plugs.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Both of my local yards don't carry ebony wood. Woodcraft carries it,
but it costs an arm and a leg. Anyone know of a good mail order for
it?

I need a few 8" strips for some inlay. And a few 1/4" square plugs.

Thanks

You might also consider Blackwood.

Consider looking at pen blanks. IIRC I bought a dozen Blackwood pen blanks
for about $20.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You may want to look for some persimmon, also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon
Page down to the bottom of the link for a few "wood" specifics.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 23, 8:06*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Both of my local yards don't carry ebony wood. *Woodcraft carries it,
but it costs an arm and a leg.

When has ebony not cost an arm a leg? Maybe before the ancient
Egyptians started using it? :-)

A crowbar to the wallet is needed for ebony.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
I need a few 8" strips for some inlay. And a few 1/4" square plugs.

Not sure exactly what you need, but Lee Valley carries some.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43217
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43217

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 23, 11:06*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Both of my local yards don't carry ebony wood. *Woodcraft carries it,
but it costs an arm and a leg. *Anyone know of a good mail order for
it?

I need a few 8" strips for some inlay. And a few 1/4" square plugs.

Thanks

http://www.amwoodinc.com/

It's pricey stuff. Wowsers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Both of my local yards don't carry ebony wood. Woodcraft carries it,
but it costs an arm and a leg. Anyone know of a good mail order for
it?

I need a few 8" strips for some inlay. And a few 1/4" square plugs.

Thanks

Clarks Hardwood Lumber in Houston. They had quite a bit today, probably in
excess of a hyndred bf.

http://clarkshardwoodlumber.com/index.php

They will be pricey, but worth a call.

Posted to rec.woodworking

West Penn Hardwoods has anything you want and smoe woods you never
heard of. Their site is http://westpennhardwoods.com/

My ebony doesn't look like ebony... mark Woodworking 10 April 3rd 08 06:16 PM
What's with my ebony?! Toller Woodturning 5 March 3rd 07 01:57 PM
Best ebony dye? W Canaday Woodturning 17 April 9th 06 11:37 PM
ebony cracking John O'Toole Woodturning 7 July 10th 03 09:21 PM