Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Better way to cut a mortise in a post?

I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

Use a drawbored joint and allow a bit of slop in the mortise?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, jtpr wrote:
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. *I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. *The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. *Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

Probably a little late now, but you could have built up the posts out
of 1x or 5/4x and left out sections for the mortises.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well... usually the piece with the tenon has a shoulder for two
reasons.

1. To add racking and push in strength to the joint.
2. To hide the edges of the mortise.

In fact, I'll usually chamfer the edges the mortise to capture any
squeeze out.

Also, many people back cut the shoulder into the tenon for the same
reason (squeeze out capture) and so the outer edge of the shoulder has
unimpeded contact with the face of the post.

Also, as I just noted in another thread, if you mark the mortise shape
using a knife to cut the lines, then the chisel will be more accurate.

On Jul 14, 8:52*am, jtpr wrote:
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. *I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. *The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. *Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

You could cut about 1" deep with a router (using some sort of guide). This
would remove all but the corners down to the reach of your router bit.
Continue as before, but now you have a nice reference surface for your
chisel.

-S

"jtpr" wrote in message
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote:

I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4
slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit
and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

The Pat Barber method.

A plunge router, a homemade router jig for M/T joints and a 3/8"
spiral upcut router bit.

Break the tenon corners to fit.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your method will work..but here is a much faster
method:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/...mortising-jig/

jtpr wrote:
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 7/14/2009 11:52 AM (ET) jtpr wrote the following:
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

Others have mentioned using a router. I don't know what kind of tools
you have available (other than a drill and chisel).
The fastest and easiest way is with a table saw, or radial arm saw, with
a dado blade set.
If you don't have either, maybe a friend or neighbor has the tools you need.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
I am building an out door shower out of Meranti and cedar posts. I'm
putting tongue and groove boards between 2 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 slotted
stock that has about 2" on each end left to stick into a receiving
hole in the posts.

I am using a 1" forstner bit to cut the bulk out and then a chisel to
remove the rest. The problem is I'm trying to get a nice snug fit and
it is a bear chisling out these holes. Does anybody have a more
clever way to chip away the walls on the holes to fit?

-Jim

I don't know if your posts are milled lumber or not. If you can get a jig
saw blade long enough, you might drill holes at the ends of the slot in the
post and cut the remaining wood between the holes with the jig saw. A
sawzall might work also.

I've made mortises in fence posts by defining the mortises with a router
and finishing with a chisel.

That being said, I would just chop the mortises with one of my 2" chisels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

on 7/16/2009 9:46 AM (ET) willshak wrote the following:
[...]

Sorry about the above. I was going in another direction. The wrong one.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Pictures. To post or not to post. Musing about the option. Arch Woodturning 4 July 23rd 06 12:56 PM
Mortise Bit reviews Russ Stanton Woodworking 9 January 31st 06 02:26 AM
Mortise jig RVH Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:08 PM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM