Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update on end table project

It's about time to demonstrate that I am still doing some woodworking.
The end table carcases are pretty much complete (they are not glued up in
the pictures shown, but are dry fit to allow me to fit the drawers.

www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndTables.html

home page: www.mklange.cnc.net

I've spent just about the last 3 months (at a moderately low level of
weekend time) working on getting the Leigh jig to produce as near gap-free
dovetail joints as possible. At this point, I've given up and have ordered
an Akeda jig. If that pans out, the Leigh jig is most likely going on
Craig's list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 11, 1:46*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
* It's about time to demonstrate that I am still doing some woodworking..
The end table carcases are pretty much complete (they are not glued up in
the pictures shown, but are dry fit to allow me to fit the drawers.

www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndTables.html

home page: www.mklange.cnc.net

* I've spent just about the last 3 months (at a moderately low level of
weekend time) working on getting the Leigh jig to produce as near gap-free
dovetail joints as possible. *At this point, I've given up and have ordered
an Akeda jig. *If that pans out, the Leigh jig is most likely going on
Craig's list.

Fabulous looking cherry. *drools*
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndT

Awesome! Finish really highlights the figure in the wood.

Please post a follow-up on the Akeda jig. I'm about ready to
purchase one and another positive review would make me feel
better.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndT

Awesome! Finish really highlights the figure in the wood.

Please post a follow-up on the Akeda jig. I'm about ready to
purchase one and another positive review would make me feel
better.

Larry

Will do. Placed the order Wednesday, should have shipped Thursday. Just
be aware that the "C" kit is only partially available. They are currently
shipping all but the bit box (I can live with that), the 14 degree dovetail
bit (I ordered a separate one), and the standard size guide bushing (one
comes with the jig).

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Larry wrote:

Please post a follow-up on the Akeda jig. ...

I guess I'd be interested in a short summary of the issues w/
Leigh--they were supposed to be A-1 I thunk???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 10:46*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
* It's about time to demonstrate that I am still doing some woodworking..
www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndTables.html

nice work Mark!

* I've spent just about the last 3 months (at a moderately low level of
weekend time) working on getting the Leigh jig to produce as near gap-free
dovetail joints as possible. *At this point, I've given up and have ordered
an Akeda jig. *If that pans out, the Leigh jig is most likely going on
Craig's list.

That's weird. I think it's the first negative thing I've seen on the
Leigh jig in the wreck, other than it's too complicated. Could you
elaborate for us contemplating a purchase. Inquiring minds want to
know.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

--

I posted a series of issues I was having with mine a month or so ago,
check on Google for the full story as well as a bunch of very helpful
advice from people on this board. Bottom line: I have been unable to get
gapless half-blind joints. On past projects, I spent inordinate amounts of
time with test cuts, setup adjustments, etc and finally got to where I
would "settle" for a result and go into production with that setup. On
this project, I decided I was done "settling" and was going to probe into
the problem until I got the joins I wanted. I now know more about the
leigh jig than I have ever wanted to know, have probed and identified
pretty much every possible source of error and still am not getting gapless
joints -- there are just too many possible sources of error. IMO, one of
the primary contributors is the fact that the router has no front support
for the router this provides significant potential for tipping when moving
from finger to finger. Another strong source of error is the support
structure for the bars and fingers doubling as support for router and being
constructed such that torquing and twisting of that structure is possible,
even when using a backer board. Finally, even though the infinitely
variable width adjustments of the fingers is a nice feature, the
implementation allows for misalignment when tightening the fingers allowing
slight mis-matches of the tail and pin cuts.

I bought the Leigh because it is supposed to be A-1. After 3 major
projects easily over 20 hours on each project trying to get gapless 1/2
blind joints. I've swapped fingers, bits, tried multiple techniques and am
still not getting there, I've finally decided, "no mas" -- I'm going to
replace the Leigh with a jig that addresses the issues I've observed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 12:07*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
dpb wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

I really like the look of those end tables and renderings. The curves
are very nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

karmstrn wrote:

.... snip

I really like the look of those end tables and renderings. The curves
are very nice.

Thanks.