Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Horses And Drinking Water

The following appeared in my old home town newspaper.

Sort of puts thing in perspective.

Enjoy

Lew
======================================

Horses can get water again in Wooster

By BRYAN SCHAAF

Staff Writer

WOOSTER -- A collaboration between the city and county will afford

Amish visitors to the city the chance to keep horses hydrated.

Councilman Ed Schuch, D-Ward 1, told administration that horses no

longer had a place to get water since the closure of the county's

Discipline & Rehabilitation Center on South Street.

Schuch said he was contacted by the owner of Advertising Ideas on

South Market Street about the problem, as that business also featured
an

outdoor drinking facility that was going to be turned off soon.

"The Amish don't spend a lot of money in Wooster, but they do bring a

considerable amount of money in through tourism," Schuch said. "I
think

it's inhumane to say their horses are out of luck. Legally, we don't
have to

provide those horses water, but I think morally we do."

Mike Sigg, director of administration for the city, said he spoke with

Wayne County Commissioner Jim Carmichael about the potential of

having the water turned back on at the county-owned DRC.

Sigg said Carmichael told him the county could turn the water back on,

but it would only pay for the water used, and not the minimum bill,
which,

for a facility with a meter the size of the DRC's, would be more than
$100

a month.

"Honestly, we weren't aware that the Amish ever watered their horses

there before," Carmichael said. "They'd just go in, get it and it was
never

a problem. So I called Sigg to see if we could get the water turned
back

on. ... We're sorry for any inconvenience that the Amish incurred.
None of

us were aware that we'd caused a problem."

Sigg said the city agreed to waive the minimum charge on the water
bill

for the DRC, and expects to have the facility turned back on by the

weekend.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" writes:

The following appeared in my old home town newspaper.

Sort of puts thing in perspective.

Enjoy

Lew
======================================

Horses can get water again in Wooster

Reposted in a more readable format

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" writes:

The following appeared in my old home town newspaper.

Sort of puts thing in perspective.

Enjoy

Lew
======================================

Horses can get water again in Wooster

Reposted in a more readable format

By BRYAN SCHAAF
Staff Writer

WOOSTER -- A collaboration between the city and county will afford
Amish visitors to the city the chance to keep horses hydrated.
Councilman Ed Schuch, D-Ward 1, told administration that horses no
longer had a place to get water since the closure of the county's
Discipline & Rehabilitation Center on South Street. Schuch said he
was contacted by the owner of Advertising Ideas on South Market Street
about the problem, as that business also featured an outdoor drinking
facility that was going to be turned off soon.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do in support of commerce. However, one
has to ask, what exactly is a "Discipline and Rehabilitation Center"?
Sounds vaguely kinky. If it's what I think it is, wouldn't the word "jail"
be a whole lot more clear?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:51:41 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

You can lead a horticulture, but ya can't make her think...

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 11, 10:31*am, mac davis wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, a Dorothy Parker fan. Got to love that wit. I haven't raised a
drink to DP for a while.... it is time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:51:41 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

You can lead a horticulture, but ya can't make her think...

You can drive a horse to drink but you can't make him water.
?
(something like that??)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You can lead a horticulture, but ya can't make her think...

You can drive a horse to drink but you can't make him water.

But if you get enough drink down a horse the watering part will pretty much
take care of itself.