Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Co-op (Santa Monica)

A group of us in the Santa Monica area (recreational woodworkers) are
trying to start a cooperative, where people in the community (after
safety training) can come in and work on their own projects (and
possibly participate in some workshops).

We are looking for business models to follow, particularly in terms of
financial sustainability and liability issues. If anyone has any
knowledge or leads in these areas, please contact me! Also, if you
know of any woodshops (i.e. at a high school) that may be available
for use/rent, I'd also like to know!

Many thanks,
-Brian

We started another Google Group:
http://groups.google.com/group/santamonica-woodworking
Posted to rec.woodworking

In the Emmeryville, Berkely and Oakland California there are several
co-ops. They all list open space on Craigslist.

Here is what is listed today. These guys could probably answer some of
your Q's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/off/1260461026.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/off/1259016295.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/off/1251471641.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/off/1251169400.html

Also, near my home they have a city sponsored shop in the community
senior center. You don't have to be a senior, just complete a training
\saftey\certification class which includes building a little project.
Then you can rent shop hours real cheap for non-commercial projects.
Maybe a local city councilmans office would be willing to help with
some space from the city, etc.

On Jul 9, 5:42*pm, bceezy wrote:
A group of us in the Santa Monica area (recreational woodworkers) are
trying to start a cooperative, where people in the community (after
safety training) can come in and work on their own projects (and
possibly participate in some workshops).

We are looking for business models to follow, particularly in terms of
financial sustainability and liability issues. *If anyone has any
knowledge or leads in these areas, please contact me! *Also, if you
know of any woodshops (i.e. at a high school) that may be available
for use/rent, I'd also like to know!

Many thanks,
-Brian

We started another Google Group:http://groups.google.com/group/santamonica-woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bceezy" wrote in message
A group of us in the Santa Monica area (recreational woodworkers) are
trying to start a cooperative, where people in the community (after
safety training) can come in and work on their own projects (and
possibly participate in some workshops).

We are looking for business models to follow, particularly in terms of
financial sustainability and liability issues. If anyone has any
knowledge or leads in these areas, please contact me! Also, if you
know of any woodshops (i.e. at a high school) that may be available
for use/rent, I'd also like to know!

Many thanks,
-Brian

sun city west just west of phoenix has very large and well equiped wood and
metal shops. they are available to anyone in the community for about
$25/year in dues.

http://www.scwmetalclub.com/
http://www.scwclubs.com/Clubs/CT20/f...id=294&posts=1

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
sun city west

Posted to rec.woodworking

bceezy wrote:

A group of us in the Santa Monica area (recreational woodworkers) are
trying to start a cooperative, where people in the community (after
safety training) can come in and work on their own projects (and
possibly participate in some workshops).

We are looking for business models to follow, particularly in terms of
financial sustainability and liability issues. If anyone has any
knowledge or leads in these areas, please contact me! Also, if you
know of any woodshops (i.e. at a high school) that may be available
for use/rent, I'd also like to know!

Many thanks,
-Brian

We started another Google Group:
http://groups.google.com/group/santamonica-woodworking

Wanted to do this years ago and was turned off by the insurance costs and
getting OSHA approval every year.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you guys ever form a group? I'm looking for a wood working shop to use. Thanks!