Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter's Bed

Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Good job. Porter has the nicest looking bed in town!

I like the design.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Really nice work. Make sure to leave the curtains open to let that
Cherry start to darken. You can even just leave it outside on a sunny
and you'll see darkening.

On Jul 7, 7:44*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter.

Nice, Porter has a winner.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks everyone! I really wanted that "P" in the slat, but it looked
junky. Can anyone recomend a good resource for learning inlay?

Thanks
Brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Very nicely done!

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 7, 9:44*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Thanks for posting that. It looks great - it's good to see pictures of
the finished product after seeing the plans from your previous post.
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of
the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was
able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats.
The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really
appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished
with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some
abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

Very nice -- nice clean design

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a machine guy. After seeing my buddy do some inlay using his laser
to cut the bed and the inlay I decided to never learn. But I would say
it is probably like doing hand cut dovetails... practice.

http://www.alohacabinetry.com/gallery2.htm you can see some (not to
close up) pictures here, click the images at the bottom left and
bottom right.

On Jul 7, 2:11*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Thanks everyone! *I really wanted that "P" in the slat, but it looked
junky. Can anyone recomend a good resource for learning inlay?

Thanks
Brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 1:00*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I'm a machine guy. After seeing my buddy do some inlay using his laser
to cut the bed and the inlay I decided to never learn. But I would say
it is probably like doing hand cut dovetails... practice.

http://www.alohacabinetry.com/gallery2.htmyou can see some (not to
close up) pictures here, click the images at the bottom left and
bottom right.

Thanks for the link. My inlay didn't fit very well and out of
frustration I smacked it into place with a mallet. It broke in three
places, but suprisingly it went in. I applied glue to the cracks and
made flush. It didn't look too bad, but not good enough. I think your
right, it just takes practice.