Scott

Default Pictures of first furniture project

Finally wrapped up my "mission style" coffee table; now it's time for
something with drawers, such as a desk ..... Below are a few links to
some pictures. I used "Golden Brown" Trans-Tint dye diluted in
isopropyl alcohol as a stain, followed by several coats of tung oil.
All in all a good learning experience, and a great excuse to buy new
tools!

Cheers,

Scott

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Test-Fit-2-480.jpg

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table3-480.jpg

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table6-480.jpg

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table4-480.jpg

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table5-480.jpg
Morris Dovey

Scott wrote:

Finally wrapped up my "mission style" coffee table; now it's time for
something with drawers, such as a desk ..... Below are a few links to
some pictures. I used "Golden Brown" Trans-Tint dye diluted in
isopropyl alcohol as a stain, followed by several coats of tung oil.
All in all a good learning experience, and a great excuse to buy new
tools!

Nice job!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
Finally wrapped up my "mission style" coffee table; now it's time for
something with drawers, such as a desk ..... Below are a few links to
some pictures. I used "Golden Brown" Trans-Tint dye diluted in
isopropyl alcohol as a stain,

Nice dye job. I've never used dyes, but obviously I've been missing out.
Good job on the wood too.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Swingman

"Scott" wrote in message
Finally wrapped up my "mission style" coffee table; now it's time for
something with drawers, such as a desk ..... Below are a few links to
some pictures. I used "Golden Brown" Trans-Tint dye diluted in
isopropyl alcohol as a stain, followed by several coats of tung oil.
All in all a good learning experience, and a great excuse to buy new
tools!

Very nice ... and judging from your photos, a good match to the mission
style sofa in the background, which BTW, is a very interesting piece in
itself. If you don't mind me asking, is that your "second furniture
project"? ;).

Also interesting is the way it appears that you "pegged" the leg joint from
the end instead of the side, or is that just a decorative touch?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Scott

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..
On 20 Feb 2004 21:56:36 -0800, (Scott) brought forth
from the murky depths:

Bravo! Did you also make the couch?

Thanks, and no, I didn't. I thought about it, and really wanted to,
but I found the local upholstery shops wanted $1,200+ to make cushions
for one. Then I saw a set at "Lazy Boy" of all places . . . The deal
clincher was the leather "mission" recliner, so I got that, the love
seat and the sofa a few years ago. The sofa alone was about $800, so
economy took over. Not so with the table though: $450+ is what they
want for the particle board table.

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table6-480.jpg

I'm guessing this is the closest to the actual color.
Nice.

Actually, that picture had a flash going, and seems to have made it
lighter than actual. The photo:

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table3-480.jpg

is closer to actual, and was taken with a color-correct photo lamp.
One wipe of dye IS lighter though, about like the photo you refer to;
I used 3 wipes.

But HEY: clean your lens first next time, eh?

Yeah, I saw that. The flash brings out the best in things ...

P.S: Why dincha fume it?

Didn't want to kill all the spiders in my shop ...

As for using dyes, after many trips to Woodcraft, I settled on the dye
because it most closely matched the sofa (with one wipe at the
concentration I mixed). However, it is hard to hide the wipe marks
with the light color; things look more homogeneous when darker, so
that's what I chose. If a guy were to spray it on, THAT would be a
slick way to get a smooth-looking coverage in a lighter tone, I
believe. Much easier to apply in the tight corners too.

Cheers,

Scott

Larry Jaques

On 21 Feb 2004 13:15:54 -0800, (Scott) brought forth
from the murky depths:

Thanks, and no, I didn't. I thought about it, and really wanted to,
but I found the local upholstery shops wanted $1,200+ to make cushions

I had a similar quote from a good upholsterer (here on
the Wreck, AAMOF) so I didn't build mine yet.

Actually, that picture had a flash going, and seems to have made it
lighter than actual. The photo:

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos...table3-480.jpg

is closer to actual, and was taken with a color-correct photo lamp.
One wipe of dye IS lighter though, about like the photo you refer to;
I used 3 wipes.

Eek! Awfully red, isn't it?

But HEY: clean your lens first next time, eh?

Yeah, I saw that. The flash brings out the best in things ...

You and Phully, I swear.

P.S: Why dincha fume it?

Didn't want to kill all the spiders in my shop ...

Wuss.

As for using dyes, after many trips to Woodcraft, I settled on the dye
because it most closely matched the sofa (with one wipe at the
concentration I mixed). However, it is hard to hide the wipe marks
with the light color; things look more homogeneous when darker, so
that's what I chose. If a guy were to spray it on, THAT would be a
slick way to get a smooth-looking coverage in a lighter tone, I
believe. Much easier to apply in the tight corners too.

Even easier with fuming. (I really must try that some day.)

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design