Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Okay to mix Transtint liquid dye with oil-based poly?

I’m working with General Finishes Arm-r-seal oil & urethane topcoat
and I’d like to add some Transtint and use as a toner. The piece is
already finished but my sister wants it darker. I mixed some up by
first dissolving the dye in 4 parts acetone before adding to the poly
and it looks fine on my samples. I plan on applying with a brush.

Does anyone have experience mixing Transtint with oil-based poly?

Thanks
-Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 1:57*pm, onoahimahi wrote:
I’m working with General Finishes Arm-r-seal oil & urethane topcoat
and I’d like to add some Transtint and use as a toner. The piece is
already finished but my sister wants it darker. I mixed some up by
first dissolving the dye in 4 parts acetone before adding to the poly
and it looks fine on my samples. I plan on applying with a brush.

Does anyone have experience mixing Transtint with oil-based poly?

Thanks
-Scott

I've used it in linseed oil with no problems. In fact I was using a
recipe by jeff Jewett himself...
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think my concern with be more with the Transtint product itself than
its ability to mix.

I read more and more, and have actually seen (as in with my own eyes)
Transtint fade in normal light from a window. The fading was noticed
when a lamp was moved to clean the table top, and it there was a
perfect, darker circle under the lamp position. Ouch. This happened
in a sunny window, but it only took a year.

If you are using this on an outdoor project, you won't have nearly
that long to enjoy your tint color.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 2:57*pm, onoahimahi wrote:
I’m working with General Finishes Arm-r-seal oil & urethane topcoat
and I’d like to add some Transtint and use as a toner. The piece is
already finished but my sister wants it darker. I mixed some up by
first dissolving the dye in 4 parts acetone before adding to the poly
and it looks fine on my samples. I plan on applying with a brush.

Does anyone have experience mixing Transtint with oil-based poly?

Thanks
-Scott

Transtint dyes are WATER based dyes. Meaning they are water soluble
(also alcohol soluble).
Oil based poly dissolves oil based solutes, not water based solutes.

Curing Oil Based Poly Todd the wood junkie Woodworking 5 May 8th 07 05:29 AM
water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 05:00 AM
Water based poly problem Brian Mahaney Woodworking 8 February 21st 06 05:33 PM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 09:18 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 06:10 AM