Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grain Direction in a Bed Post

Ok, got another 'grain' question. I’m in the process of making a bed
from cherry and I am currently working on the posts.

Most of the posts look like they are qtr sawn. Ideally I would like
the grain to be oriented diagonally, but this is what I am stuck with.

Question: Which face of the bed post should I orient to the front of
the bed (facing the footboard)? The flatsawn face (B) or the straight
grained face (A)? I know this question is a matter of personal taste,
but what is most common?

Picture of posts (grain direction)
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/legs3.jpg

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I should clarify. These legs will not be turned.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/20/2009 2:16 PM GarageWoodworks spake thus:

Question: Which face of the bed post should I orient to the front of
the bed (facing the footboard)? The flatsawn face (B) or the straight
grained face (A)? I know this question is a matter of personal taste,
but what is most common?

Answer: whichever is prettier. Depends on the particular flitch. My
preference would be for the quartersawn face, showing the growth rings
perpendicularly, instead of the "wild", plywood-looking flatsawn face.

I don't know which orientation, if any, is more common, and am curious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 5:16*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Ok, got another 'grain' question. I’m in the process of making a bed
from cherry and I am currently working on the posts.

Most of the posts look like they are qtr sawn. Ideally I would like
the grain to be oriented diagonally, but this is what I am stuck with.

Question: Which face of the bed post should I orient to the front of
the bed (facing the footboard)? The flatsawn face (B) or the straight
grained face (A)? I know this question is a matter of personal taste,
but what is most common?

Picture of posts (grain direction)http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/legs3.jpg

Well, I can't comment on your personal taste, or even what is most
common, but you could use the Craftsman technique of cutting four
triangular shaped pieces with the matching/agreeable grain on the
hypotenuse side and glue the four pieces together with the
hypotenuseseseeses showing. Then all the faces are the "good side".

Obviously more work, and there's some wasted wood, but hey, it's not
my time or money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

showing the growth rings

I vote as David.

Though you didn't ask about leaving them square, or say you'd leave
them squa I would be tempted to knock the corners off the posts
(octogon shaped), ....
***depending on the dimensions of the bed's side rail ends that would
butt against the posts. A scrap piece of post, with corners cut off
(for a comparative view and face measurement), would probably assist
in the decision to cut or not.
***Another option is to leave square, only, the lower areas that the
side rails butt against.
***I also assume you already have a view and measurements, of some
kind.

Sonny