Mike W.

Default nfilter

Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to
get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Thanks,
Mike

---

Doug Miller

In article , "Mike W." wrote:
Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to
get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Yep, nfilter went away. I have a copy of the self-extracting installation file
at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe .

--
Regards,

Chuck Hill

I had the same problem. When you download it is is named np-120.exe.
That is wrong. Rename it to np-120.zip. Open that in WinZip and
select install.

Chuck

wrote:

Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to
get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Thanks,
Mike

---

Steve Knight

I have never figured out what to do with it. I mean you put the netnews server
in but what does it do? will it work with agent? and if so how?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Doug Miller

In article , Chuck Hill wrote:
I had the same problem. When you download it is is named np-120.exe.
That is wrong. Rename it to np-120.zip. Open that in WinZip and
select install.

Sorry, that's not correct. np-120.exe is right. It's a self-extracting
archive. Just execute that file.

--
Regards,
Steve Knight

It runs as a proxy server. You configure Nfilter to connect to your news
server, using the same configuration you now have in your news reader. Then
configure the news reader to connect to Nfilter (usually using IP address
127.0.0.1) instead of the news server. Nfilter removes whatever you tell it to
remove in the filter file before it ever reaches your news reader.

now I got it. wonder if it slows things down at all?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Darwin

Thanks Doug for the file dat file...it's working great!

I had to change the extension of the np-120 from .exe to .zip, extract
to install.

Thanks again...

Darwin

"Mike W." wrote in message
Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been

trying to
get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it

and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Thanks,
Mike

---

Doug Miller

In article , "Darwin" wrote:
Thanks Doug for the file dat file...it's working great!

I had to change the extension of the np-120 from .exe to .zip, extract
to install.

This is not necessary. It's a self-extracting archive. All you need to do is
run it.

--
Regards,
Jim Wilson

Mike W. wrote...
There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

There is a problem with that file that causes the installation to fail on
some machines. This version (np-121.exe) appears to solve the problem:

http://www.paragoncode.com/temp/NewsProxy/

Jim

Jim Wilson

Steve Knight wrote...
wonder if it slows things down at all?

Not significantly. If you put in a lot of rules, it *may* seem to slow
things down somewhat, but the same thing would happen if you put the same
rules in your newsreader. All in all, unless you have a very marginal
machine (I.e., not enough RAM, disk space or processor speed to run your
OS smoothly), you won't notice anything, except that you've got another
program running in the background.

Jim
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Mike W. wrote:
Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to
get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it
was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Somehow the file I previously had up was _one_ byte short. dunno how -that-
happened -- missing one NULL at the end of the file.

reminds me of the old joke:
mathmatician 1: Eureka! I've just invented zero
mathmatician 2: What's that?
mathmatician 1: pause Oh, nothing.

Anyway, it's been fixed -- good downloads now.

Steve Knight

now I got it. wonder if it slows things down at all?

Slightly. But only when downloading headers. I haven't found that to be much
of a problem.

it was dog slow today. but when I set agent back to normal it was still slow but
not as slow. so it may be comcast right now.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Chuck Hill

Well, it did not self extract on my Win2K machine. I don't know if the
executable flag bits/bytes changed between OS versions or what.
Although it showed a custom icon from the exe file Exlporer would not
start it.

Chuck

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:56:33 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Chuck Hill wrote:
I had the same problem. When you download it is is named np-120.exe.
That is wrong. Rename it to np-120.zip. Open that in WinZip and
select install.

Sorry, that's not correct. np-120.exe is right. It's a self-extracting
archive. Just execute that file.

Wood Butcher

Steve,

I experienced major slowdowns and stoppage on
Scumcasts email and newsgroups yesterday in our
area too. Today's much better but still a bit slow.

Art

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

it was dog slow today. but when I set agent back to normal it was still slow but
not as slow. so it may be comcast right now.

Steve Knight

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:09:47 GMT, "Wood Butcher" wrote:

Steve,

I experienced major slowdowns and stoppage on
Scumcasts email and newsgroups yesterday in our
area too. Today's much better but still a bit slow.

why is it when you try something new something like that happens at the same
time and you don't know if it is the new thing or the service?
I hate when things like that happen.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Jack

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:09:47 GMT, "Wood Butcher" wrote:

Steve,

I experienced major slowdowns and stoppage on
Scumcasts email and newsgroups yesterday in our
area too. Today's much better but still a bit slow.

why is it when you try something new something like that happens at the

same
time and you don't know if it is the new thing or the service?
I hate when things like that happen.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I had warnings at work today about netsky_B (I think) virus slowing comm
pipes... look at http://www.symantec.com/
I've had good luck with nfilter and the filter config that Doug Miller sent
is pretty good...

Jack

Better nfilter Bill Thomas Woodworking 2 October 21st 03 07:11 PM
Solution to NFilter problems Wood Butcher Woodworking 4 October 10th 03 12:00 AM
NFilter & WinXP? ELA Woodworking 5 October 8th 03 07:16 PM