DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives" (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/279724-ot-stereotypes-liberals-vs-conservatives.html)

Lew Hodgett[_4_] June 13th 09 01:18 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Now there is a guy that realy saw the world change.
Did you know that aprox. 1/3 of all of the WWII draftees were
rejected as physically unfit?
Malnutrition and starvation were largely the cause.

My mother, my grandfather's youngest child, saw an even bigger change
in the world.

Born in 1905, she made it to mid 2008.

Lew

[email protected] June 13th 09 02:01 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Jun 12, 10:40*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I mentioned that the separate accounting for SS is helpful to tell where it
stands, and from the data it's clear that the funds designated for SS (FICA
payroll taxes) are more than enough to pay for SS through 2017:

http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/51264.pdf* (page 17 of the PDF,
or "CRS-6" of the document)

So Social Security isn't adding to the deficit.

Just remember that the big chunk represented by SS is totally funded by
dedicated revenues, and roughly 60% of Medicare is funded by dedicated
revenues. Pretty much everything else comes out of general revenues. That
"everything else," plus 41% or so of Medicare, are the sources of deficit
spending.

In other words, aside from SS and 60% or so of Medicare, most other
statutory entitlement expenditures are *not* coming from designated revenue
sources. They are, in fact, major sources of deficit spending. So is defense
and the non-budget expenditures for the war in Iraq, Homeland Security, and
all of the discretionary spending items.

The pie charts are real eye-openers for most people. Just remember about the
dedicated funding for SS and 60% of Medicare. The total amounts spent on
them show up in the pie charts, but they aren't coming out of general
revenues.

--
Ed Huntress

And that is the way it is now. But the scary part is in a relatively
few years ( 2017 -2009 = 8 short years ) there will no longer be any
extra dedicated revenue from SS to go into the general revenue fund.
And Medicare revenue will be less that 60 % of Medicare costs. So
taxes will have to go up or the deficit spending rate go up, or Social
Security benefits and Medicare benefits will have to come down.
Obama's plan on having those making over 250 K$ pay more in SSBN, is
not going to be near enough. Unless we have massive inflation so that
most everyone working is making over 250K$.

And while inflation is manageable for those working, it really affects
some. We got a letter today from an old friend. " I can no longer
afford the house I presently own. The economy has ( something
illegible ) its upward inflated prices. I must sell my own home and
rent................"

Dan

John R. Carroll[_2_] June 13th 09 02:08 AM

wrote in message
[...]

Absent any real change we are on the way to having 63% funded from general
fund revenue fairly quickly.

"So taxes will have to go up or the deficit spending rate go up, or Social
Security benefits and Medicare benefits will have to come down."

Or we could do what the rest of the civilised world does and institut a
single payer system for basic health care.

According to the Economist the total US spend on healthcare is 15.4% of GDP
including both state and private . With that it gets 2.6 doctors per 1,000
people, 3.3 hospital beds and its people live to an average age of 78.2

"UK - spends 8.1% of GDP, gets 2.3 doctors, 4.2 hospital beds and live to an
average age of 79.4. So for roughly half the cost their citizens overall get
about the same benefit in terms of longevity of life.

"Canada - spends 9.8% of GDP on healthcare, gets 2.1 doctors, 3.6 hospital
beds and live until they are 80.6 yrs

"Now if we look at the more social model in Europe the results become even
more surprising:

"France - spends 10.5%, 3.4 docs, 7.5 beds and live until they are 80.6

"Spain - spends 8.1% , 3.3 docs , 3.8 beds and live until they are 81

"As a whole Europe spends 9.6% of GDP on healthcare, has 3.9 doctors per
1,000 people, 6.6 hospital beds and live until they are 81.15 years old.

Dan

J. Clarke June 13th 09 04:40 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's also worth remembering that people did't last much beyond 65 YO
in the thirties, large numbers even less.

Which just points out how remarkable my grandfather was.

Born in 1848, he made it to 83.

Once again the myth of "life expectancy" rears its ugly head. It's an
average--those who made it to adulthood lived about the same amount of time
as people today, but fewer of them made it to adulthood.

John R. Carroll[_2_] June 13th 09 05:59 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's also worth remembering that people did't last much beyond 65 YO
in the thirties, large numbers even less.

Which just points out how remarkable my grandfather was.

Born in 1848, he made it to 83.

Once again the myth of "life expectancy" rears its ugly head. It's an
average--those who made it to adulthood lived about the same amount of
time
as people today, but fewer of them made it to adulthood.

The life expecrancy "at birth" in 1930 of all sexes and races combined in
the US was 59.7 years.
It was 77.8 in 2005.
People are living much longer today as a rule. That and changes in age
weighted distribution of he population are the cause of forecast shortfalls
in the SS fund.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

JC

Calif Bill[_2_] June 13th 09 07:11 AM

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Stuart Wheaton wrote:
Our incompetent President
Hmmm.... Today the Dow is 600 points above where it was on the last
day of Bush.... And 200 points above where it was right after the
election...
And 4,000 points below its high during the Bush years.

Gee, most of us are enjoying a tax cut, but if you are getting more
than 250K /yr and can't shield it, I feel no pity.... Or is this a
"Joe the plumber" thing where you have no clue about income vs
taxable income?
Right. I saw one investor who managed to save $13,000 in taxes per DAY
by the simple expedient of moving from New York to Florida.
http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...153.html?imw=Y

So, Bush's silly little war and Reagan's deficits are OK for you, but
buying better highways is the road to ruin?
Yes. We already pay a highway tax - and right now the highway tax has a
huge surplus. Blame the politicians for dipping into the highway kitty
to provide psychological counseling for troubled pets.

What about the massive bill about to come due for Social Security? Are
you going to show me where you advocated paying higher taxes during
the Bush years so we could start to get ahead of the SS juggernaut?
I can't; it didn't come up. You may recall that the first item on
Bush's political agenda back in 2001 was reform of SS. Reform failed.
You thought that privatizing Social Security was reform? That explains
your first problem. Privatization was not reform, and in the immediate
future it would have made the system more unstable because the current
revenues would fall as contributions were siphoned off to Wall Street.

Privatization was an attempt to damage Social security beyond repair.

Reform of SS will require that benefits be decreased, indexed to assets,
and that contributions be increased, exempted wages reduced, and payouts
delayed. Furthermore, the U.S. Securities that George W called
"Worthless IOU's " Will need to be turned into cash through tax revenues
before they can be paid out.

Even though we had an intense capital need hanging over our heads, W
pushed for tax cuts and reducing the income to SS...

Where is the reform you spoke of?

Not better, but with somewhat less carnage. Recall, it was the market
that got us here, and then screamed for mommy when their lousy
decisions put the whole economy in peril.

How do you feel about "too big to fail?"
Personally? The bigger they are, the harder they fall, but fall they
must.

Even FDR said that part of SS had to be private. It could not all be
government.

I believe he said that the responsibility for retirement had to be shared,
that SS was a minimum, safety net to ensure nobody retired into abject
poverty, and to encourage older worker TO retire and clear the employment
roles for younger workers. This was part of the solution to unemployment,
paying older workers to go home and relax.

Was originally the Widows and Children's act. Was to prevent starvation and
deprivation for surviors of a worker killed or injured or dies of natural
causes leaving a spouse who was normally a homemaker. Was not the National
Retirement Act. I think the original tax was 1% of the first $1500 of
wages. Until LBJ found out he could hide the huge deficit from the SEA war
and raised rates and payouts to get lots more money in to the general fund.
Until LBJ I paid 1% of the first $3300 and employer matched. $660 a year.
Can not buy a great annuity with life insurance included for that can of
money. LBJ left it to our children and grandchildren to pay for his
spending. Those paying in now will not get back anywhere what they paid it.
I paid in $190k and employers matched that amount over my employment years.
I get back $15k a year. Means the government has taken a huge share of my
payments and not invested the "Trust Fund" in interest paying securities. I
will have to life to 100 to come close to the amount paid in. Put that kind
of money into an annuity, and the payouts would exponentially higher.

Calif Bill[_2_] June 13th 09 07:21 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

snip

Butts In To Ask A Really Dumb Question

OK, here's what I don't understand. If SS is paid out of
current revenues - indeed *all* statutory entitlement
commitments are, if I understand your explanations - then
just *what* is responsible for our national debt? Debt
is only possible if we're spending more than we're collecting
as a nation. No amount of accounting gymnastics changes
this. Since statutory entitlements comprise well over half
the annual budget, the rest primarily being Defense, servicing
the debt and administration (what we in the Real World call
"SG & A"), are you arguing that the debt is entirely a
consequence of these latter three? 'Seems unlikely to me.

Inquiring minds wanna know...

As convoluted as this thing is, there are no dumb questions.

I mentioned that the separate accounting for SS is helpful to tell where
it stands, and from the data it's clear that the funds designated for SS
(FICA payroll taxes) are more than enough to pay for SS through 2017:

http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/51264.pdf (page 17 of the
PDF, or "CRS-6" of the document)

So Social Security isn't adding to the deficit.

Medicare is more complicated; parts A, B, and D each are funded
differently. As of a few years ago, total Medicare was funded 41% by
general revenues, and most of the rest through payroll taxes and other
designated funds. Total Medicare revenue in 2005 was around $440 billion,
so 41% of that could be counted as contributing to the deficit.

There are many other "trust funds" that have designated sources of
revenue, but many of those actually are just designated portions of
general revenues.

So you can see what we're spending money on by looking at any of the pie
charts and other graphs online. Here's one for FY 2008:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...l_budget,_2008

[...]

I used to think you had a handle on finances. Not anymore. The reason we
are not running deficits at the present time for SS is there is a surplus of
funds entering the system Those surplus funds are being spent in the
general fund. Hiding even more deficit spending. Interagency government
borrowing does not show up in the National Debt column. But that money is
owed. And will have to be paid back by higher taxes on workers.
Guesstimate in 2017. Maybe on the high side with the economy in the tank.
The war in Iraq is not a source of Deficit Spending. It is a government
expense just like the salaries of the Congress. Deficit spending is because
we keep having more federal expenses than revenue. We have a Congress and
President that shows no fiscal restraint. Not just this present
administration, but all back to IKE at least. SS is funded with dedicated
revenue? Only until there are more money to those collecting than from
those paying in.

Calif Bill[_2_] June 13th 09 07:27 AM

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's also worth remembering that people did't last much beyond 65 YO
in the thirties, large numbers even less.

Which just points out how remarkable my grandfather was.

Born in 1848, he made it to 83.

Once again the myth of "life expectancy" rears its ugly head. It's an
average--those who made it to adulthood lived about the same amount of
time
as people today, but fewer of them made it to adulthood.

The life expecrancy "at birth" in 1930 of all sexes and races combined in
the US was 59.7 years.
It was 77.8 in 2005.
People are living much longer today as a rule. That and changes in age
weighted distribution of he population are the cause of forecast
shortfalls in the SS fund.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

JC

Life expectancy is longer. But the length of time an adult person lives has
not changed much. The Life expectancy is longer because of better living
through chemistry. My mother, who is 94 was a practicing RN until 91 years
old. She said other than sulfa drugs, there were not antibiotics until
penicillin. Single biggest enhancer of life expectancy. Not the max time
you live, but the likelihood you will make it to a natural death. We are
held up as bad with our health system because we have a lower life
expectancy than most of Europe and Canada. We also have a huge immigrant
population that was not real healthy when they got here. And may not avail
themselves of the modern medical wonders.

Ed Huntress June 13th 09 10:52 AM

wrote in message
[...]

There's really nothing scary about that, Dan. The margins will be small at
first. Either the economy will be perking along by then, or it won't matter,
because we won't have a pot to pee in, anyway.

And Medicare revenue will be less that 60 % of Medicare costs. So
taxes will have to go up or the deficit spending rate go up, or Social
Security benefits and Medicare benefits will have to come down.

Medicare is unlikely to exist in its present form by then. More likely we'll
have a unified health care system, and our taxes will be more like those of
Europe. As much as I dislike the idea, a VAT looks very likely.

Obama's plan on having those making over 250 K$ pay more in SSBN, is
not going to be near enough. Unless we have massive inflation so that
most everyone working is making over 250K$.

We're in for some changes, all right, and it won't matter who is in the
White House. We're running out of time to run the country on self-delusions.

And while inflation is manageable for those working, it really affects
some. We got a letter today from an old friend. " I can no longer
afford the house I presently own. The economy has ( something
illegible ) its upward inflated prices. I must sell my own home and
rent................"

Yeah, that's happened to a few people around here, especially because we had
no decline in housing prices in my town. They've kept going up, right
through the housing crisis.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress June 13th 09 11:27 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

[...]

That's always been the way SS is run, from the 1930s on. Some people seem to
have just noticed within the past few years. g

As for not running deficits at the present time because there is a surplus
of funds entering the system...duh, yeah, that's what happens when more is
coming in than going out.

Hiding even more deficit spending.

It's not being hidden from anyone who looks. It is being hidden to people
who don't look. But they couldn't find their butts without a night light to
begin with. They always think they're being tricked, because they keep
tricking themselves, and they're too lazy to look.

Interagency government borrowing does not show up in the National Debt
column.

To clarify things, you're using the traditional definition of "national
debt," which is public debt. And that's quite true. Intragovernmental debt
is not part of what the government owes to those outside of government, so
it doesn't show up as public debt. But that's axiomatic.

But that money is owed.

To...ourselves. g

And will have to be paid back by higher taxes on workers.

That depends on how the economy stands at the time it comes due.

Guesstimate in 2017. Maybe on the high side with the economy in the tank.
The war in Iraq is not a source of Deficit Spending. It is a government
expense just like the salaries of the Congress. Deficit spending is
because we keep having more federal expenses than revenue.

Duh...maybe you could explain the difference. ALL government spending from
general revenue is a source of deficit spending, when you aren't taking in
enough revenue to cover it. That's what happens when you cut taxes without
cutting expenses.

Off-budget items like the war in Iraq are especially egregious in that
regard, because nobody even *tried* to cover it with revenue. Bush just said
"keep shopping and don't worry."

We have a Congress and President that shows no fiscal restraint.

So was Reagan. So was Bush II. And they didn't even have a real reason for
it. You deficit-spend when the economy is tanking. That's mainstream
economics. You don't deficit-spend when the GDP is going up. That's lunacy.
And Reagan's budget director, David Stockman, said as much a few years
later.

I always like this Stockman quote about the period: "Do you realize the
greed that came to the forefront? The hogs were really feeding. The greed
level, the level of opportunism, just got out of control. [The
Administration's] basic strategy was to match or exceed the Democrats, and
we did."

Not just this present administration, but all back to IKE at least. SS is
funded with dedicated revenue? Only until there are more money to those
collecting than from those paying in.

Exactly. You do get it, after all. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

J. Clarke June 13th 09 12:11 PM

John R. Carroll wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's also worth remembering that people did't last much beyond 65
YO in the thirties, large numbers even less.

Which just points out how remarkable my grandfather was.

Born in 1848, he made it to 83.

Once again the myth of "life expectancy" rears its ugly head. It's
an average--those who made it to adulthood lived about the same
amount of time
as people today, but fewer of them made it to adulthood.

The life expecrancy "at birth" in 1930 of all sexes and races
combined in the US was 59.7 years.
It was 77.8 in 2005.
People are living much longer today as a rule. That and changes in age
weighted distribution of he population are the cause of forecast
shortfalls in the SS fund.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

And this further advances the myth that people living into their 70s and 80s
in the '30s was rare. You are aware are you not that the life expectancy at
age 20 in the '30s was significantly higher than the life expectancy at
birth?

The expected shortfalls are the result of the bumbling incompetence of every
government since Social Security was first implemented.

J. Clarke June 13th 09 12:16 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Calif Bill wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message ...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

There's also the elimination of many childhood diseases through widespread
programs of immunization.

Stuart Wheaton June 13th 09 01:34 PM

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

snip

I guess it's old math - the meaning of surplus, deficit and their effect
on debt. If you have a deficit (expenses exceed revenue), your debt
goes up because you had to borrow the difference. If you have a surplus
(income exceeds expenses), your debt goes down because you use the
difference to pay some/all of your debt. At least that's the way it
works in my house.
Equating a household's finances with the finances of our federal
government
is the source of a great deal of confusion. In our case, most of the
confusion is the result of having intragovernmental accounts, which don't
work like a household at all. SS is a pay-as-you-go program, as it always
has been, but we've larded it with this bit of accounting since the
mid-'80s, in which we issue special bonds in exchange for surplus SS
revenue. Meanwhile, we're taking in the revenue, which is counted as
current
revenue, and we're making SS payments, which is counted as current
expenses.
The fact that we might have to pay a shortfall out of future general
revenues will look good on paper -- we'll be retiring some of those SS
bonds
when we do it -- but it isn't going to change the fact that we have to
pay
them out of current revenues. Both ways, the "bonds" create a fictional
idea
of what is happening, because, again, there is no way to store those
surpluses.
Sure there is - invest in non government instruments. But that would
mean the dreaded privatization word would enter the picture.

Uh, would you rather have had GM Preferred or would you just go for
California state bonds? ggg!

There are many problems with that. For one thing, you'd have the federal
government locked into a positive feedback loop with the state of the stock
or bond markets. For another, you'd have the government having to protect
its own investments -- tempting preferential treatment.

Or you could just invest it in a S&P index fund which would reduce the
preferential treatment issue. Let's see, how much money did they lose over
the past year?....

It sure did better than what happens now - all the surplus is spent and
the only way to recoup is to tax folks again for the same purpose.

You only get taxed once, Take 2002, you paid taxes, part for SS, part
normal... Out of that, all your regular taxes were needed to pay
federal expenses, SS needed about 50% of your SS taxes to pay my
Grandmother, and they gave the rest to the general revenue. The feds
gave the feds a note saying, "thanks for the extra SS money, If you
ever need it, we'll get some for you." The general revenue needed more
money, since we had given the rich a tax cut, and then started a war.
Rather than tax people for the war, and the tax cut for the rich, the
feds borrowed the SS surplus. That still wasn't enough, and instead of
raising taxes, since if people had to actually pay for the optional war,
they might have rebelled against it, we called our best buddies, the
Chinese, and said, "we'd like to borrow a few hundred Billion, could you
help?" Someday, we will need to pay them, and for the war that we put
on the credit card, and we can use some of that money to pay SS benefits
if needed.

Ain't no way. Nohow.

The two problems with that are, first, that the bonds don't represent any
additional debt. The future obligations are the result of a statutory
program. The bonds help clean up the accounting. But there is no more or
less "debt" owed for future SS obligations than there was before we used
the
bond gizmo to account for it. In that sense, there is no parallel to a
household. We don't replace statutory obligations with I.O.U.s at home.
If
we tried it with our taxes, for example, we could find that the
government
takes a very dim view of it. g

The second problem is that, from an accounting point of view, this has
the
unfortunate effect of adding the value of the "bonds" to our total
debt --
even though our system works entirely on currect accounts, and there is
no
real way to offset the debt represented by those bonds. This is totally
unlike a household, where you could put the cash in a savings account or
invest it in something. So the debt goes up, even when nothing really
changed, either in terms of current revenues and expenses, nor in our
future
obligations.

If you keep all the pieces in mind, the use of bonds in a "Trust Fund" is
useful accounting device and helps keep track of where SS stands. But
when
you're looking at the "national debt," and use total debt as the value
for
it, it just keeps adding something that isn't really there.

In accounting terms, it will come out in the wash when we retire the
bonds -- if we ever do. But that may be decades away. Meantime, they
screw
up the impression many people have of what is happening. Many think the
cash
is going into a pot somewhere. When you ask them what the Treasury is
supposed to do with that revenue, most of them give you a blank stare.
The question shouldn't be what the Treasury shhould do with the excess
revenue - it should be what the SS administration should do with them.

I'm surprised that you'd trust them to invest your retirement money.

Actually, I don't. That's why I invested 10% of my gross in public
instruments so I now have a real retirement fund that is paying out much
better than SS.

Actually, they've already invested in what is considered by investors around
the world to be the world's most secure investment: US Treasury bonds.

In the governments case, it doesn't really matter who they owe money to
- China or the SS trust fund or a savings bond holder. When a bond
holder redeems a bond, the taxpayer is the source of the money.
Right. But when you hold the bond, as the federal government does, and
you're the payer of the bond, as the federal government is...it gets a
little strange. Internal accounting is a useful thing. Just don't mix it
up
with money we owe to someone else.
It may well be converted to money we owe someone else. The Treasury may
have to issue public bonds to raise the cash to pay the SS
administration. Kind of like paying off your Mastercard with your VISA
card.

Possibly. Let's hope that SS is reformed enough by then that it won't have
to be funded (for long periods, anyway) with debt.

It already is.

--
Ed Huntress

Stuart Wheaton June 13th 09 01:46 PM

Calif Bill wrote:

Was originally the Widows and Children's act. Was to prevent starvation and
deprivation for surviors of a worker killed or injured or dies of natural
causes leaving a spouse who was normally a homemaker. Was not the National
Retirement Act. I think the original tax was 1% of the first $1500 of
wages. Until LBJ found out he could hide the huge deficit from the SEA war
and raised rates and payouts to get lots more money in to the general fund.
Until LBJ I paid 1% of the first $3300 and employer matched. $660 a year.
Can not buy a great annuity with life insurance included for that can of
money. LBJ left it to our children and grandchildren to pay for his
spending. Those paying in now will not get back anywhere what they paid it.

It is not an annuity, it is an insurance plan.

I paid in $190k and employers matched that amount over my employment years.
I get back $15k a year.

How does that compare to your medical, car, and homeowners insurance
over the years? Since the earliest days of your working life, you've
had a family policy with disability benefits... Not my fault if you
didn't die and claim on it.

My Uncle died in his early 40's and never got a cent from the program,
even though he paid in.

Means the government has taken a huge share of my
payments and not invested the "Trust Fund" in interest paying securities.

They weren't supposed to. Although US treasury notes are securities,
what interest rate do you want them to say? I think you found the
solution, we just boost the rate the treasury has to pay itself on these
notes, and the SS system is solvent by the stroke of a pen!

will have to life to 100 to come close to the amount paid in. Put that kind
of money into an annuity, and the payouts would exponentially higher.

Again, what is the return on the rest of your insurance policies?

Joseph Gwinn June 13th 09 04:02 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Some data. The mortality tables used by insurance companies start at
age 10, for two reasons. First, one does not usually insure the life of
a child (unless a star, but this is uncommon). Second, back in the day
something like one half of children didn't make it to 10, for one reason
or another. Nowdays, most children do make it past 10 all the way to
adulthood, mostly due to various public-health measures such as clean
water, sewers, mosquito-reduction, concrete basement floors (reduce rat
populations near people), etc. Although antibiotics got all the press,
the main benefit came from the various public-health measures.

Joe Gwinn

Calif Bill[_2_] June 14th 09 01:30 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

[...]

It is still debt! Whether we owe it to the foreign borrowers as T bills, or
as money borrowed from some other "Trust Fund" at another government agency.
Gas Tax, SS tax, etc. A private lawyer would go to jail for the abuse of
trust funds the Feds do everyday. That money is still gone. And it has to
come out of the tax payers pocket. VAT taxes just hide it better from the
people.

Calif Bill[_2_] June 14th 09 01:32 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message ...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Also true.

Hawke[_2_] June 14th 09 01:36 AM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

It's also worth remembering that people did't last much beyond 65 YO in
the thirties, large numbers even less.

Which just points out how remarkable my grandfather was.

Born in 1848, he made it to 83.

Now there is a guy that realy saw the world change.
Did you know that aprox. 1/3 of all of the WWII draftees were rejected as
physically unfit?
Malnutrition and starvation were largely the cause.

JC

When you know that the average American male in WWII was 5' 7" and weighed
145 you get an idea of what it was really like in those days. The population
was only 135 million then too. So the U.S. was not that big and neither were
its men. The reasons why are varied but you can see why in those days a 200
lb. man was considered a "heavyweight".

Hawke

Ed Huntress June 14th 09 01:37 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

[...]

sigh I give up. Bill, what about all of the unfunded, future obligations
of Social Security that *aren't* represented by Treasury notes? That's most
of the future obligation. Is it all "debt"?

If not, why not? If so, then we've lost all sense of what debt is. When you
owe it to yourself, or the government owes it to the government, or the
taxpayers owe it to the taxpayers, it's kind of a silly game. Today it's a
future obligation and doesn't add to the national debt; tomorrow it does.
It's all accounting, not an actual flow of money, or a change in an
obligation.

Except when you're doing the bookkeeping and analysis. That's the only
reality it has.

Believe what you want. The bonds neither increase nor decrease the future
obligation. And the accounting by which we keep track of it is purely
arbitrary, begun only in 1986 (give or take a year), when the political
decision was made to account for it that way. That's the important point.
Make of it what you will.

--
Ed Huntress

Calif Bill[_2_] June 14th 09 01:40 AM

Calif Bill wrote:

[...]

I know it is an insurance policy and not an annuity. And you could get
whole life policies that paid back all the premiums at maturity. Whole life
policies are to expensive for what you get. Maybe same can be said for SS.
If you need life insurance, get a term policy. Since I was supplied with
life insurance policies during my working career as an engineer in the
Computer industry, I did not buy policies. I invested. All the kids are on
their own with university degrees, and house is paid for. I do not need a
life insurance policy. SS is a good program. Unfortunately it has become
the National Retirement Plan, and not enough money was paid in by most
collecting that retirement. So the present payers are having to way overpay
for what are going to get. And the borrowed money is still debt to the
taxpayer. It is an IOU from the Federal Government. The real National Debt
is maybe 30-40 trillion bucks.

Hawke[_2_] June 14th 09 01:45 AM

Stuart Wheaton wrote:
[...]

But you are presupposing that there is no risk of default. I think you may
have noticed recently that while private firms may pay higher rates than the
government does you have a risk of loss that is much higher as well. Had you
put that money in an annuity and the company backing it folded you would be
wishing you had a government run plan that would at least pay you something.
All the people that invested with Bernie Madoff have now recognized the risk
in the free market. You want risk and more money or do you want to be sure
you are not going to lose it all? Of course, you can bellyache that the
government doesn't pay enough and the free market is too risky. That way you
get to complain no matter what happens.

Hawke

Lew Hodgett[_5_] June 14th 09 02:23 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Hawke" wrote:

What's irritating is that no matter how many times you show these
numbers to
right wing guys it just doesn't sink in.

It really doesn't matter what they think or say, they don't have the
votes to stop health care reform this year.

Lew

Doug Winterburn June 14th 09 02:27 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

They obviously do represent a future obligation, just as any other gov
bond does. Why do you think all the hand wringing about when the "trust
funds" are exhausted - no more obligation to collect taxes to pay off
the bonds since there won't be any.

Also, one thing that changed in the Tip O'neal/Bob Dole "saving" of SS
in the '80's was the bonds became non-negotiable - meaning prior to that
time SS could have sold 'em and bought peanut futures. From FDR's start
of SS, any surplus was mandated by law to be invested in gov bonds, but
at that time they were negotiable bonds.

--
Ed Huntress

Eregon[_4_] June 14th 09 02:56 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"John R. Carroll" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

People are living much longer today as a rule. That and changes in age
weighted distribution of he population are the cause of forecast
shortfalls in the SS fund.

Pillaging of the SS "Trust Fund" by Congress is the "Cause" of the
shortfall.

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

[email protected] June 14th 09 03:13 AM

On Jun 14, 2:00*am, "Hawke" wrote:

What's irritating is that no matter how many times you show these numbers to
right wing guys it just doesn't sink in

Hawke

Just to irritate you some more, it still has not sunk in. The problem
is while it is easy to come up with those numbers, it is a lot harder
to know why. Correlation does not mean cause and effect.

An easy way to decrease the cost of healthcare in the US, would be to
eliminate all procedures which will only prolong someones life by six
months and also eliminate all procedures that do not have a proven
success record. If we had done this say thirty years ago, we would
not have any heart transplants , artificial heart valves, etc.

Dan

Ed Huntress June 14th 09 03:58 AM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

Believe what you want. The bonds neither increase nor decrease the future
obligation. And the accounting by which we keep track of it is purely
arbitrary, begun only in 1986 (give or take a year), when the political
decision was made to account for it that way. That's the important point.
Make of it what you will.

They obviously do represent a future obligation, just as any other gov
bond does.

But the obligation was already there. The bonds didn't add to it. They
didn't subtract from it.

Why do you think all the hand wringing about when the "trust
funds" are exhausted - no more obligation to collect taxes to pay off
the bonds since there won't be any.

The hand wringing is about political deception for an ideological purpose.
That's all it is. That's all it ever was.

As for not paying off the bonds, it's Congress that determines what the
money will be used for, when the bonds are cashed in. The Social Security
system is a creature of legislation. Legislation will be adjusted as
necessary to keep the benefits rolling along, to the extent they can be.
That doesn't change whether there are bonds involved in the accounting, or
not.

Here's the description of those bonds, and the Trust Fund, by the
government's own OMB:

"These [Trust Fund] balances are available to finance future benefit
payments and other Trust Fund expenditures -- but only in a bookkeeping
sense. ... They do not consist of real economic assets that can be drawn
down in the future to fund benefits. Instead, they are claims on the
Treasury that, when redeemed, will have to be financed by raising taxes,
borrowing from the public, or reducing benefits or other expenditures. The
existence of large Trust Fund balances, therefore, does not, by itself, have
any impact on the Government's ability to pay benefits. (from FY 2000
Budget, Analytical Perspectives, p. 337)"

Also, one thing that changed in the Tip O'neal/Bob Dole "saving" of SS
in the '80's was the bonds became non-negotiable - meaning prior to that
time SS could have sold 'em and bought peanut futures.

No, they never could. The original Act of 1935, and the substantial changes
enacted in 1939, require that all SS surplus be invested in securities with
a guarenteed principle value and a guarenteed rate of interest. In other
words, Treasury bonds. And the revenue from the sale of the bonds to SS goes
into the general fund, as it always has.

But the amount of the bonds was never large enough to be a big issue in the
budget until after 1985. So now the question of whether the national debt is
public debt, as it always has been, or should now include everything that's
in total federal debt (including the SS bonds) has raised this controversy.

From FDR's start
of SS, any surplus was mandated by law to be invested in gov bonds, but
at that time they were negotiable bonds.

The only difference is that market forces determine negotiable bond value,
and the idea was to invest in securities with guarentees. Thus, the special,
non-negoiable bonds used for intragovernmental transactions.

--
Ed Huntress

Han June 14th 09 01:29 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

" wrote in
:

On Jun 14, 2:00*am, "Hawke" wrote:

What's irritating is that no matter how many times you show these
numbers

right wing guys it just doesn't sink in

Hawke

Just to irritate you some more, it still has not sunk in. The problem
is while it is easy to come up with those numbers, it is a lot harder
to know why. Correlation does not mean cause and effect.

An easy way to decrease the cost of healthcare in the US, would be to
eliminate all procedures which will only prolong someones life by six
months and also eliminate all procedures that do not have a proven
success record. If we had done this say thirty years ago, we would
not have any heart transplants , artificial heart valves, etc.

Dan

Until you have been involved in the decision whether to treat a loved one
aggressively to prolong life or let go ("let nature take its course"),
you don't know what you are talking about.

--
Best regards
Han

John R. Carroll[_2_] June 14th 09 02:57 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in
:

On Jun 14, 2:00 am, "Hawke" wrote:

[...]

It isn't a question of treatment or not. The question is payment.
There isn't any reason a person shouldn't be able to buy insurance to cover
anything they need.
Their needs, and the needs of their families for emotional placation, are
not the needs of society.

JC

Han June 14th 09 03:27 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"John R. Carroll" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in

:

On Jun 14, 2:00 am, "Hawke" wrote:

[...]

If you think payment is the question, not treatment, then I have to ask
payment for what? The cost of (let's say) a liver transplant for a
patient who is going to die soon, whether or not the transplant occurs,
is WAY more than the cost of palliative treatment. I have to ask what we
are insuring against. A basic low(er) level of treatment costs, or the
costs of treating everything. IMNSHO, a asic level of insurance (however
defined) should be compulsory (yes, that bad word, and whether the
employee or the employer pays is ultimately only semantics). On top of
that a person should be allowed to insure against the costs of more
complex events/procedures. Freedom of personal choice, etc., etc.

Society needs some kind of insurance, and the current system is
dysfunctional.

--
Best regards
Han

J. Clarke June 14th 09 03:44 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Han wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in

On Jun 14, 2:00 am, "Hawke" wrote:

[...]

Government in the medical business is a permanent solution to a temporary
problem. When I was a kid, when you got sick you went to the doctor and he
did what he could and it didn't cost much. Now he can do a lot more but
it's all cutting edge and the costs are horrendous. A hundred years from
now when the technologies have matured and an NMR scanner is a child's
plaything that you get at Toys R Us for 50 bucks it's going to be back to
where most people can pay for most medical issues out of pocket without it
hurting particularly.

But if we get government involved now then government will still be involved
then.

Han June 14th 09 04:32 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in

om

On Jun 14, 2:00 am, "Hawke" wrote:

[...]

The real problem now, and for the foreseeable future, is that the
healthcare system makes out of pocket payment unaffordable. Whether or
not this is a free enterprise system or not, and if so, whether it is
subject to market forces (doesn't seem to), the reality is that almost
any procedure or medication costs far more when paid for directly out of
pocket than via reasonably priced insurance, such as group employer-
sponsored programs. Here in New York, hospital costs include an 8% (I
think) surcharge to pay for indigent compassionate care. Is that fair?
Therefore, I maintain (I recognize there is opposition) that there should
be compulsory insurance for everyone at some basic level. Yes, it might
be called a tax. But it does not have to cost as much as it costs now to
submit and resubmit claims and counterclaims. That only makes for a
bloated bureaucracy.

--
Best regards
Han

J. Clarke June 14th 09 05:27 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Han wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in

om

On Jun 14, 2:00 am, "Hawke" wrote:

[...]

You and Obama and your "compulsory insurance". So now you are putting
people who are already having to choose between paying the rent and buying
food in the position of having to pay for insurance or be punished by the
government. Sorry, but you and Obama are really out of touch with the
notion of "poor".

And how will "compulsory insurance" change the way that the insurance
companies work?

HeyBub[_3_] June 14th 09 06:01 PM

Han wrote:

Society needs some kind of insurance, and the current system is
dysfunctional.

Dysfunctional? 300 million (out of 340 million) have insurance. Of those,
80% or so are satisfied. Hardly dysfunctional.

Folks are screeching about 40 million of our population are uninsured! Of
these, 14 million are illegal aliens, about 8 million are between
employer-provided insurance, a few million are eligible for Medicaid and
will get it as soon as they apply in the emergency room, many are young,
healthy, cash-strapped people who choose not to have insurance, plus a few
lesser categories.

After doing all the arithmetic, we find there are exactly eight people in
the whole country without insurance who need it.

As a result, there are those who would chance screwing up the system for
339,999,992 people so these eight would not be inconvenienced.

Bah!

Han June 14th 09 06:17 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

You and Obama and your "compulsory insurance".

It's there now too. As I mentioned, I (actually my insurance company)
have to pay 8% extra over the cost of whatever the hospital charges to
pay for the indigent (for lack of a better word). That is already
compulsory.

So now you are putting
people who are already having to choose between paying the rent and
buying food in the position of having to pay for insurance or be
punished by the government.

You're twisting my words. I thought you were in favor of everyone paying
his fair share. I think this system will simplify things. Like I am NOT
in favor of the frigging homeowner rebates here in NJ, where another
layer of bureaucracy increases overall taxation.

Sorry, but you and Obama are really out
of touch with the notion of "poor".

Probably, since I have never really been close to that. But I am proud
that I have earned my and my family's keep while being compassionate.

And how will "compulsory insurance" change the way that the insurance
companies work?

Simple. Simplify the whole process. Set the rates the same for
everyone, and eliminate bureacracy.

--
Best regards
Han

Han June 14th 09 06:20 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:

[...]

So I have to pay an 8% surcharge on hy hospitalization costs so that 8
people in the US can get care? Hey, bud, you should check your
arithmetic. And if you are between jobs with the full benefits you're
used to, you suddenly have to pay $1300/mo for a family of 2 to keep your
insurance?

--
Best regards
Han

Gunner Asch[_4_] June 14th 09 08:54 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 01:34:24 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

Hawke wrote:
There seems to be a stereotype that "liberals" are the lazy sorts of
people who interrupt TV viewing only to go to soup lines, or smoke
harmful substances, whereas "conservatives" are hard working, self
reliant people who are very well off due to their own perseverance and
work ethic.

And yet, the few self proclaimed or suspected liberals and Obama
supporters of this newsgroup, seem to be very well off, accomplished
people, whereas many conservatives, while intelligent and interesting
people on many levels, are not exactly above that kind of level of
attainment.
Show us your data. IOW, you're talking out your a$$.

If that is the case, is that perhaps the time to reconsider our
stereotypes?
Perhaps you should reconsider yours.
i think what he is saying is that your stereotypes should be the
same as his...
Ah, yes. That is the leftist's way.

At least that is what you think the leftist's way is. What people are
forgetting is that there are stereotypes, which do have some truth to them,
and then there is reality. There are concrete things that actually make
someone a liberal or a conservative. They each have their own ways and
beliefs. The problem is when one side makes claims about the other side
which are not true, which is usually the case. In this group, which is
filled with right wingers and republicans denigration of "liberals" are
posted constantly. That's because the "wingers" detest anyone who has views
that are different from theirs (a conservative trait). Proof of this is the
unending stream of criticism and invectives directed at liberals by them.

Take one trait that is common among liberals; tolerance. This same trait is
not shared or highly regarded by conservatives. A trait they like a lot more

Yes conservatives are guilty of often clinging to rules for their own
sake, even when they don't make sense. Liberals - as the term is
currently constituted - tolerate almost everything including evil,
stupidity, lack of judgment, lack of personal accountability, and lack
of moral courage. As a group, today's liberals live in a world driven
by their ambitions not by any recognizable reality. They are always
astonished when their fairyland ideas fail spectacularly. The liberals
are either the authors of accelerators of almost every single failed
policy in the West but have become masters of blaming everyone else
for their own misdeeds - not unlike their voting base does on a
day-to-day basis.

The one thing that liberals *cannot* seem to tolerate is anyone with
whom they disagree. As William F. Buckley aptly noted:

“Liberals do a great deal of talking about hearing other points of
view, but it sometimes shocks them to learn that there are other
points of view.”

The only thing breathing any life into liberal ideology today is the
intellectual, moral, and ideological bankruptcy among conservatives
who - as a political movement at least - have traded electability for
principle.

Vote libertarian ...

"[L]iberals are afraid to state what they truly believe in, for to do so
would result in even less votes than they currently receive. Their
methodology is to lie about their real agenda in the hopes of regaining
power, at which point they will do whatever they damn well please.
The problem is they have concealed and obfuscated for so long that, as a
group, they themselves are no longer sure of their goals.

They are a collection of wild-eyed splinter groups, all holding a
grab-bag of dreams and wishes. Some want a Socialist, secular-humanist
state, others the repeal of the Second Amendment. Some want same
sex/different species marriage, others want voting rights for trees,
fish, coal and bugs. Some want cradle to grave care and complete
subservience to the government nanny state, others want a culture that
walks in lockstep and speaks only with intonations of political
correctness.

I view the American liberals in much the same way I view the competing
factions of Islamic fundamentalists. The latter hate each other to the
core, and only join forces to attack the US or Israel. The former hate
themselves to the core, and only join forces to attack George Bush and
conservatives." --Ron Marr

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with
us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical
Islam"

Bruce C. Thornton, a professor of Classics at American University of Cal
State Fresno

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Gunner Asch[_4_] June 14th 09 09:04 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I was originally taken in by Bush's rhetoric on 'compassionate
conservatives' just to find out he was lying warmongering megalomaniac
who had an inferiority complex to the point that all he wanted to do
was please his daddy...how sick was that?

almost as sick as blowing muslims, which apparently you do.

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] June 14th 09 09:13 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:36:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Hawke wrote:

I have some bad news for ya. Your "do nothing" recommendation is just
what the Hoover administration thought was the right medicine for the
country in 1929. Their view was that the depression was like a
hurricane. The best thing you could do was get out of the way and let
it happen and then clean up afterwards. You will understand if we
don't think that is a smart way to handle our problems. It didn't
work then and it won't work now. Why else would the government not be
following your and Hoover's advise to just do nothing? Maybe because
they know something you don't. Like history.

Actually we don't know whether a "do nothing" approach would have worked.
FDR tried all manner of fixes. The latest research indicates that FDR's
tinkering actually made the depression worse.

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...sion-5409.aspx

And as a result of the control the Far Leftist extremists have on the
USA...I have returned to stocking up on canned goods by the multiple
case, ammo and components and so forth.

The Great Depression Part Deux is upon us and this time it may last
longer with Leftwing extremists trying to juggle things.

Got Rope?

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] June 14th 09 09:19 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:11:11 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:41*am, " wrote:
On Jun 9, 6:04*am, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

. The only place that government does a consistently outstanding job is running the military and arguably the
DOJ.

Even the military have figured out that using contractors to run mess
halls and repair facilities is more efficient than having the
government do the work.

A lot of that had more to do with handing lucrative contracts to
friends and relatives of Dick Cheney.

The opinion of a Leftwing Drone is noted with extreme amusement.

One notes that Clinton was deeply involved in setting up the
contractors. And yet this Drone claims it was Cheney.

Gunner Asch[_4_] June 14th 09 09:23 PM

OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:03:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 8, 4:52*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

And if you can blame Bush for what happened during the last 100 days of his
administration, then you've got no complaint when criticism is leveled at
the first 100 days of Obama's.

That, of course, is a crock of ****.
Bush had the best part of 7 years to take a run at his last 100 days,
as opposed to Obama who got the aftershocks AND he started from
scratch.
To compare both is ludicrous.
I can't believe you made that comparison.

Spoken like a true Useful Idiot.