DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   IPE source in Wisconsin (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/27944-ipe-source-wisconsin.html)

Shrumishi February 16th 04 05:19 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

Greetings.

I am planning on building a deck this summer out of Ipe.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a local source for the
wood. I live in the Milwaukee-Waukesha area, and if anyone could clue
me in on who carries it, I would appreciate it.

Dale.

Bob Schmall February 16th 04 05:50 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

Dale:
Valley USA
42nd and Forest Home
414-281-8721

Bob Schmall

Eric Johnson February 16th 04 06:17 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

Try these guys in Waukesha

http://www.boehm-madisen.com/

Unisaw A100 February 17th 04 12:15 AM

IPE source in Wisconsin

Shrumishi wrote:
I am planning on building a deck this summer out of Ipe.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a local source for the
wood. I live in the Milwaukee-Waukesha area, and if anyone could clue
me in on who carries it, I would appreciate it.

If I'm not mistaken Ironwood Holdings (of Milwaukee) is the
(or one of the) sole importer(s) for ipe. You might want to
track them down via the telephone and see if they sell
retail or who they distribute to.

UA100

P.S. Boehm only sells wholesale/commercial.

Larry Jaques February 17th 04 12:49 AM

IPE source in Wisconsin

On 16 Feb 2004 09:19:22 -0800, (Shrumishi) brought
forth from the murky depths:

Greetings.

I am planning on building a deck this summer out of Ipe.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a local source for the
wood. I live in the Milwaukee-Waukesha area, and if anyone could clue
me in on who carries it, I would appreciate it.

http://www.taunton.com/store/fwarchi...p?searchChar=R
The article is available for sale online, Dale.

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Shrumishi February 18th 04 04:48 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

I called Boehm-Madisen and they actually recommended Neu's Supply Line
in Germantown. They wound up having a fairly good selection and 5/4 x
6 x 12' is only $24. $2 per lf is the best I've seen.

Thanks for all your input.

Todd Neidinger February 18th 04 06:42 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

Try:
Woodworkers Supply
1013 Jonathon Dr.
Madison, Wi
608-273-4418

Rick Chamberlain February 19th 04 05:10 AM

IPE source in Wisconsin

In article ,
says...
Greetings.

I am planning on building a deck this summer out of Ipe.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a local source for the
wood. I live in the Milwaukee-Waukesha area, and if anyone could clue
me in on who carries it, I would appreciate it.

Dale.

Worzella lumber. Ask for Charlie. Great service, selection, and price.
No, I don't work there, but I did get my deck materials (including the
ipe and eb-tys) from them.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

Lazarus Long February 19th 04 02:29 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:10:59 GMT, Rick Chamberlain
wrote:

Worzella lumber. Ask for Charlie. Great service, selection, and price.
No, I don't work there, but I did get my deck materials (including the
ipe and eb-tys) from them.

I'd forgotten about them until you posted this. The last time I went
there they were still in that series of barns a couple of miles east
of their present location. At the time, I bought several planks of
12/4 maple that came from a large stack they had in yet another place.

Where abouts are you located Rick?

Rick Chamberlain February 19th 04 05:46 PM

IPE source in Wisconsin

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Worzella lumber. Ask for Charlie. Great service, selection, and price.
No, I don't work there, but I did get my deck materials (including the
ipe and eb-tys) from them.

I'd forgotten about them until you posted this. The last time I went
there they were still in that series of barns a couple of miles east
of their present location. At the time, I bought several planks of
12/4 maple that came from a large stack they had in yet another place.

Where abouts are you located Rick?

Worzella now stores the ipe in sheds directly behind the main office.
You have to go through the gates to get there. Last time I was there
for ipe was last summer, and they had a pretty good selection, including
4x4s.

I'm in New Berlin - not far from Worzella actually. I just wish they
carried untreated SYP.

BTW, what price did you get on the maple? How did it compare to Kettle
Moraine?

Lazarus Long February 20th 04 01:34 AM

IPE source in Wisconsin

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:46:02 GMT, Rick Chamberlain
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Where abouts are you located Rick?

Worzella now stores the ipe in sheds directly behind the main office.
You have to go through the gates to get there. Last time I was there
for ipe was last summer, and they had a pretty good selection, including
4x4s.

I'm in New Berlin - not far from Worzella actually. I just wish they
carried untreated SYP.

BTW, what price did you get on the maple? How did it compare to Kettle
Moraine?

I don't remember the price paid. It's been a long time. I think the
planks of really thick hard maple I've gotten from Kettle Moraine are
better, but this is colored by opening up one of those thick Worzella
planks and finding a big 'ol bark pocket in the center. Otherwise,
pretty much the same.

Thing is, Kettle Moraine is along the way home. It's hardly any
effort to go there. I notice that they're selling quite a bit of
exotics now. Not that I'll be making a bed out of Bolivian Rosewood.

And I really like KM's thickness sander. No setup charge and only a
buck a minute.