Len Dye

Default Cleaning Bandsaw Blades?

How is the best way to clean a bandsaw blade of resin and fine saw dust? I
did some resaw work on some fresh green pecan biscuits and cut them into
turning blanks. Its a "1 3 tooth blade 143 inches around.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:28 GMT, "Len Dye"
wrote:

How is the best way to clean a bandsaw blade of resin and fine saw dust?

Don't let it get dirty. This stuff may be running through two sets of
roller guides, which'll squish it down hard into a layer of glue. Hard
stuff to shift once it's on and set.

Best thing is a wheel scrubbing brush on the lower wheel to keep the
tyre clean (heat-bent toothbrush) and wiping the band clean while the
gunk is still fresh. Any workshop solvent should help. I use the
ubiquitous acetone and yet another toothbrush / paper towel. Don;t
run the saw afterwards until it evaporates - acetone is the sort of
stuff that _can_ cause a DC fire, if you suck the fumes in.

Don't use "Muc-Off" (a popular mountain bike cleaner). This stuff is
full of potassium hydroxide and it corrodes aluminium like crazy !
Anyone want one slightly charred looking bandsaw ? (not mine)

--
Smert' spamionam
Sprog

Use one of those Crepe Blocks used on sanding belts
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2&S ID=

"Len Dye" wrote:

How is the best way to clean a bandsaw blade of resin and fine saw dust? I
did some resaw work on some fresh green pecan biscuits and cut them into
turning blanks. Its a "1 3 tooth blade 143 inches around.

Doug Miller

In article et, "Len Dye" wrote:
How is the best way to clean a bandsaw blade of resin and fine saw dust? I
did some resaw work on some fresh green pecan biscuits and cut them into
turning blanks. Its a "1 3 tooth blade 143 inches around.

Here we go again... Seems this question gets posted about once a month. (David
Eisan, maybe this should be in the FAQ?)

Washing soda. About 1/4 cup of it, dissolved in enough warm water to cover a
dishpan to a depth of an inch or so. Coil the bandsaw blade, and drop it into
the dishpan. A goodly portion of the crud will come off before the blade even
hits the bottom of the pan. Let it soak there for five or ten minutes, then
wipe it clean. It's cheap, it's easy, it's reasonably benign environmentally.

Washing soda is available in many grocery stores, on the same aisle as the
laundry detergent. Smaller hardware stores often have it, too, with cleaning
supplies. Don't bother looking at Home Depot, Lowe's, or WalMart, you won't
find it. If anyone is having trouble obtaining washing soda, email me at the
address in my sig, and we can make arrangements.

--
Regards,

I found Water Softener like Calgon in hot water fast and safe.Just coil up
and sit in the mix for 5 minutes or more.Brush with a brass brush if any
will not come off.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article et, "Len

Dye" wrote:
[...]

---

Jim K

Default New rec.woodworking FAQ?

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/woodworking/faq/faq/) is only 4 years old.

I'm interested in putting together a FAQ collection, but don't want to
be reinventing what I would think should already be out there.

I'm thinking something along the lines of
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/model-rockets/intro/index.html or
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/

So, the question is; is there a good comprehensive FAQ out there;
and/or does anyone see this as a useless project?

(BTW, I write FAQs for a living, I make sawdust for fun.)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:38:10 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article et, "Len Dye" wrote:
How is the best way to clean a bandsaw blade of resin and fine saw dust? I
did some resaw work on some fresh green pecan biscuits and cut them into
turning blanks. Its a "1 3 tooth blade 143 inches around.

Here we go again... Seems this question gets posted about once a month. (David
Eisan, maybe this should be in the FAQ?)

mttt

"Jim K" wrote in message

I'm interested in putting together a FAQ collection, but don't want to
be reinventing what I would think should already be out there.

(BTW, I write FAQs for a living, I make sawdust for fun.)

Not just anyone can FAQify the Wreck. You'll need references.
We'll need to see tool receipts. Some shop photos would be nice too.

If Wreck FAQification was easy, I'd be doing it.

Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:34:01 GMT, Jim K
scribbled:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/woodworking/faq/faq/) is only 4 years old.

That's Jim Roche's old FAQ. A newer version is at:

http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/

But it hasn't been touched in three years.

I'm interested in putting together a FAQ collection, but don't want to
be reinventing what I would think should already be out there.

I'm thinking something along the lines of
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/model-rockets/intro/index.html or
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/

So, the question is; is there a good comprehensive FAQ out there;
and/or does anyone see this as a useless project?

I say go for it if you're prepared to maintain it and hand it off to
someone else when you can't do it anymore.

(BTW, I write FAQs for a living, I make sawdust for fun.)

Alright, a professional FAQist! Or is that FAQer? :-)

In There's also David Eisan's "mini" FAQ which he posts
semi-regularly. It started out really short, but it has expanded over
time. The latest is on Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Robert Bonomi also has a version of it:
http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/minifaq.html

David also has another FAQ on how to filter out the crap.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

JOAT once produced a list of FAQs
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

In the middle 90s, there was an attempt to create FAQs on different
topics:

There's the electrical wiring FAQ:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/

Crib safety FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Dust FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Gregg Germain's steambending FAQ
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Antique tool FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...060%40nd.ed u

Cabinet Saw FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....niu.edu#link1

Secret Compartments FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...carh8ab.bnr.ca

Ammonia fuming FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....rochester.edu

Hand Tool FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

and a bunch of others a Google search will reveal

Let's not forget the humorous FAQs

Paddy's Crowbar FAQ
http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Blurfl FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...cs.ualberta.ca

Disclaimer FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ns8.netins.net

Hand Plane FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...ut put=gplain

And my Anti-FAQ, available in 10 parts.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...u3%404ax.co m

Have fun.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Jim K

Let me clarify a bit...

My question isn't if anyone thinks I can write one. I'm asking if
there is already a collection of FAQs in place better than the links I
could find. If not, I will be starting one.

While not "anyone" can write a set of FAQs, there does need to be
someone to start. Someone else with better skills can always take over
later and improve it. Besides, one person doesn't normally write a set
of FAQs anyway, it's more of an editor's job than original writing.

Tool receipts in a FAQ???? Why?

wrote:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/woodworking/faq/faq/) is only 4 years old.

I'm interested in putting together a FAQ collection, but don't want to
be reinventing what I would think should already be out there.

I'm thinking something along the lines of
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/model-rockets/intro/index.html or
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/

So, the question is; is there a good comprehensive FAQ out there;
and/or does anyone see this as a useless project?

(BTW, I write FAQs for a living, I make sawdust for fun.)

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/woodworking/faq/faq/) is only 4 years old.

Make that 'going on _five_ years since the last revision. *sigh*

I collect stuff, as I find it, at http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking/

I'm thinking something along the lines of
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/model-rockets/intro/index.html or
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/

So, the question is; is there a good comprehensive FAQ out there;
and/or does anyone see this as a useless project?

The 'official' rec.woodworking FAQ is *seriously* dated -- many of the
links are dead, and the supposed 'maintainer' isn't responding to queries.
(I've written him, offering to be the new maintainer.)

Since I didn't get any response, I've got a 'from scratch' replacement
on my 'todo' list, as time permits.

(BTW, I write FAQs for a living, I make sawdust for fun.)

I`m hereby soliciting input from *anybody* and *everybody*. grin

If you've got a good answer for a FAQ question, send it to:

in standard question/answer format.

Make sure the first word of the subject line is "FAQ", without the quotes,
or you'll get a bounce message saying that that address does not exist
It really does exist, it's just *highly* paranoid. grin

Also, I'm accumulating WW-related links. at:

"WWLINKS", again, without the quotes, required as the first word on the
subject line.

useful info is: (1) a 'short name' for the link, (2) the full URL, and
(3) a one-line description of what's there and/or why it's "good stuff".

Unisaw A100

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

sigh (sniff)...

You didn't have a link to the Old Woodworking Machines FAQ.

http://discussion.oldwwmachines.com/detail.asp?ID=26164

sigh (sniff)...

UA100
mttt

"Jim K" wrote in message

Tool receipts in a FAQ???? Why?

'Twas but a simpleton's attempt to satirize a Good Samaritan.
Perhaps the best approach is just to "Plonk me, Jim."

But grant me one reprieve, because I am so curious.
1. How does one make a living out of FAQ writing? [ Do I need a degree in
FAQology? ]
2. Whazzit pay?
3. Any chance of it getting outsourced to Bangalore?
4. Is there a chance of scoring some free tools out'a the gig?

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:54:42 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:34:01 GMT, Jim K
scribbled:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/woodworking/faq/faq/) is only 4 years old.

That's Jim Roche's old FAQ. A newer version is at:

http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/

But it hasn't been touched in three years.

Those would be the Frequently Antique Question FAQs, Weegee.

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:21:00 -0600, Unisaw A100
scribbled:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

sigh (sniff)...

You didn't have a link to the Old Woodworking Machines FAQ.

http://discussion.oldwwmachines.com/detail.asp?ID=26164

No slight intended, nor did I forget. Quote from the OP's very first
line:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org

So I did not think I needed to point it out to him again. Feel better
now. :-)

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Jim K

1. Look at all the companies out there that have FAQs on their sites.
(Microsoft for example) -- they don't grow by planting alphabet soup
in the garden ;-)

Actually I got a Masters in communications after retiring from the
USAF a few years ago.

2. When/if you can find the job, it pays pretty good.
3. yep
4. I work for a telcom company - no tools :-(

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:47:26 GMT, "mttt"
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
.. .

Tool receipts in a FAQ???? Why?

'Twas but a simpleton's attempt to satirize a Good Samaritan.
Perhaps the best approach is just to "Plonk me, Jim."

But grant me one reprieve, because I am so curious.
1. How does one make a living out of FAQ writing? [ Do I need a degree in
FAQology? ]
2. Whazzit pay?
3. Any chance of it getting outsourced to Bangalore?
4. Is there a chance of scoring some free tools out'a the gig?

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
mttt wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
.. .

Tool receipts in a FAQ???? Why?

'Twas but a simpleton's attempt to satirize a Good Samaritan.
Perhaps the best approach is just to "Plonk me, Jim."

But grant me one reprieve, because I am so curious.

Can't have a reprieve till after you've had a prieve. Best I can do is
this pet prieve of mine. snicker

1. How does one make a living out of FAQ writing? [ Do I need a degree in
FAQology? ]

Nope. You do need an appropriate collection of FAQ-toids, from which you
manu-FAQ-ture the final result.

2. Whazzit pay?

Less than a FAQtotem can carry.

3. Any chance of it getting outsourced to Bangalore?

Nah, that was tried once, a _long_ time ago. The project blew up in their
face. (Don't remember if it was an explosion in the dust-collector piping,
or the PVC for the air line, both of which were locally procured.) Anyway,
this was the _original_ "Bangalore Torpedo".

4. Is there a chance of scoring some free tools out'a the gig?

Yup! A complete set of the tooling for making air guitars.

Unisaw A100

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
No slight intended, nor did I forget. Quote from the OP's very first
line:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org

So I did not think I needed to point it out to him again. Feel better
now. :-)

Yahbut, the OP didn't cite the FAQ and I was thinking,
maybe, just maybe, he was referring to "another" old
wooddorking machines FAQ.

Hey! It could happen.

UA100
Jerry Gilreath

Which telecom company?

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Jim K" wrote in message
1. Look at all the companies out there that have FAQs on their sites.
(Microsoft for example) -- they don't grow by planting alphabet soup
in the garden ;-)

Actually I got a Masters in communications after retiring from the
USAF a few years ago.

2. When/if you can find the job, it pays pretty good.
3. yep
4. I work for a telcom company - no tools :-(

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:47:26 GMT, "mttt"
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
.. .

Tool receipts in a FAQ???? Why?

'Twas but a simpleton's attempt to satirize a Good Samaritan.
Perhaps the best approach is just to "Plonk me, Jim."

But grant me one reprieve, because I am so curious.
1. How does one make a living out of FAQ writing? [ Do I need a degree in
FAQology? ]
2. Whazzit pay?
3. Any chance of it getting outsourced to Bangalore?
4. Is there a chance of scoring some free tools out'a the gig?

mttt

"Jim K" wrote in message

4. I work for a telcom company - no tools :-(

Me too!
RBOC? ILEC? CLEC? IXC? Ameritech (nee' SBC)?

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:21:18 GMT, Unisaw A100
scribbled:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
No slight intended, nor did I forget. Quote from the OP's very first
line:

I looked up the name listed here and found an "old woodworking
machine" FAQ and the FAQ returned in faqs.org

So I did not think I needed to point it out to him again. Feel better
now. :-)

Yahbut, the OP didn't cite the FAQ and I was thinking,
maybe, just maybe, he was referring to "another" old
wooddorking machines FAQ.

Hey! It could happen.

OK, I shoulda included the url. I'm sorry.