K Roberts

Default Wood Portraits.

Some of my work:

http://www.kerrysworld.com/ssp_samples.aspx

Rick Gibson

What did you use to convert the original picture to a scroll saw design.

Rick

"K Roberts" wrote in message
Some of my work:

http://www.kerrysworld.com/ssp_samples.aspx

K Roberts

I used a computer graphics package. There's a process to create the
pattern. Gary Browning's book, "Scroll Saw Portraits" is a great place to
start. If you would like more info don't hesitate to ask.

.. .

"K Roberts" wrote in message
Some of my work:

http://www.kerrysworld.com/ssp_samples.aspx

Charlie Self

K Roberts states:

I used a computer graphics package. There's a process to create the
pattern. Gary Browning's book, "Scroll Saw Portraits" is a great place to
start. If you would like more info don't hesitate to ask.

WHAT computer graphics package?

Charlie Self
"Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
K Roberts

The one I use is Paint Shop Pro, but almost any graphics package will do the
general steps needed to render a pattern. You would need a basic working
knowledge of graphics (i.e. layers, contrast enhancement, blur filters,
etc).

Cheers.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
K Roberts states:

I used a computer graphics package. There's a process to create the
pattern. Gary Browning's book, "Scroll Saw Portraits" is a great place

start. If you would like more info don't hesitate to ask.

WHAT computer graphics package?

Charlie Self
"Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Glen

I'm asking, I'm asking!

I am very impressed and intrigued by your work, however I know next to
nothing about layers, contrast enhancement, blur filters, etc. If you
would like to pontificate a bit I would love to learn how you do it.

Thanks,
Glen

"K Roberts" wrote in message
Some of my work:

http://www.kerrysworld.com/ssp_samples.aspx

Dusty Workshop

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message

WHAT computer graphics package?

Charlie Self

Here is a link which describes the process in better detail:

http://www.geocities.com/bandjhughes...gpictures.html

Hope this is of help Charlie, and others.

Dusty

"You give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler." Maxwell Smart (Agent 86)
Eddie Munster

perhaps lview pro. Most anything for image manipulations

http://www.lview.com/index1024.htm

use image filters, contour, find edge, postorize. Commands vary with
program used. It's very simple really. In fact Charlie, since your into
taking digital pictures it may be you have something on your machine
right now but haven't played around with it. If not look for some
freeware. If you play with it you will get a feel for it. Very easy.

John

Charlie Self wrote:

K Roberts states:

I used a computer graphics package. There's a process to create the
pattern. Gary Browning's book, "Scroll Saw Portraits" is a great place to
start. If you would like more info don't hesitate to ask.

WHAT computer graphics package?

Charlie Self
"Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:41:45 GMT, "Glen"
brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm asking, I'm asking!

I am very impressed and intrigued by your work, however I know next to
nothing about layers, contrast enhancement, blur filters, etc. If you
would like to pontificate a bit I would love to learn how you do it.

Corel Trace could also be used to do that, guys.

http://www.kerrysworld.com/ssp_samples.aspx

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Kerry Roberts

I'm asking, I'm asking!

I am very impressed and intrigued by your work, however I know next to
nothing about layers, contrast enhancement, blur filters, etc. If you
would like to pontificate a bit I would love to learn how you do it.

Thanks,
Glen

Hi Glen. Thanks for the compliment. I will do my best to explain the
process as I do it using Paint Shop Pro 7. Paint Shop Pro can be
downloaded from here http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/? for a
free 60 day trial.

I take the picture I am working with and delete any unwanted portions
(usually the background). You can do this a number of ways. You can
use the "eraser" tool or you can use the trace tool to trace out
around the subject and then delete the selections you come up with
until you are left with only the content you want to work with.

Next I make the picture greyscale by selecting "colors", "greyscale".
Then I click "selections" "select all" and then ctrl-c to copy that
content to the clipboard (this is going to be used to do the layers).

Now I select "colors", "adjust brightness/contrast". Set the contrast
to 100% and then adjust the brightness as desired. The way I do this
is I focus on an individual feature at a time. I start with the eyes
and adjust the brightness until I get the desired look (don't worry
about the rest for now). Once the individual feature you are working
with is ok select "OK". Now the important part, select "Edit", "Paste
as new layer" - you will now get your greyscale image pasted in a new
layer. Again, select "colors" "adjust brightness/contrast" and work
on the next feature. When you select ok this time what you need to do
is select the ERASER tool and erase everything around the feature you
just worked on. What this will do is leave you with the first layer
work (the eyes say) and then the feature you just worked on. Do this
until the entire image looks good.

Once you have done this for all the features, select, "Layers",
"Merge", "Merge all layers".

Now you need to get rid of the rough edges on the image. To do this
select "Effects" "Noise" "Median Filter" set the number here as
desired.

Lastly you will need to manually join any floating segments in the
wood by using the paint brush tool (eg. the eye sparkle is a common
one that needs to be joined to the continuos wood piece).

What I do then is use the fill tool and select a pattern like "old
paper" and fill the "white section" so I get an idea of what the end
wood portrait will look like and make any last minute touch ups by
looking at that.

*phew* that was a lot of typing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or contact me directly.
Cheers.

~ Kerry