Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It won't go away by itself. (Verrry scary political)

It doesn't go away by itself.
Watergate "went away" when Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in
disgrace and left town never to be heard from in an official capacity
again.
The Bush presidency is thankfully over...but the damage he and Dick
Cheney did continues to press on the nerve of the American people like
an impacted wisdom tooth. And until the questions surrounding arguably
the most arrogant and perhaps most corrupt administration in our
history are addressed, the pain won't go away.
From Nancy ("Impeachment is off the table") Pelosi to President Barack
("I want to look forward, not backward") Obama, the country is being
poorly served by their Democratic government. And on this subject
President Obama is dead wrong.
George W. Bush and his accomplices damaged this country like it's
never been damaged before. And it's not just the phony war in Iraq or
the torture memos that justified waterboarding. It's millions of
missing emails and the constant use of executive privilege and signing
statements.
It's the secretive meetings with Enron and other energy executives and
the wholesale firing of federal prosecutors. It's trying to get the
president's personal attorney seated on the Supreme Court and that
despicable Alberto Gonzales sitting in front of congressional
investigators whining, "I don't remember, I don't know, I...etc."
It's the domestic eavesdropping in violation of the FISA Court, the
rendition prisons, and the lying. It's looking the other way while the
City of New Orleans drowned and its people were left to fend for
themselves.
It's the violations of the Geneva Conventions, the soiling of our
international reputation and the shredding of the U.S. Constitution.
It's the handing over of $700 billion to the Wall Street fat cats last
fall, no questions asked. Where is that money? What was it used for?
It's the no-bid contracts to firms like Halliburton and Blackwater and
the shoddy construction and lack of oversight of reconstruction in
Iraq that cost American taxpayers untold billions.
If the Republicans were serious about restoring their reputation, they
would join the call for a special prosecutor to be appointed so that
at long last justice can be done.
It's too late for George W. Bush to resign the presidency. But it's
not too late to put the people responsible for this national disgrace
in prison.

========
I happen to agree with Jack Cafferty on this. A cleansing would be
nice. Get that much admired integrity back, and as it seems too scary
for Obama to do it, it will be left up to the people. Then kick his
ass out if he keeps criminally sheltering the evil-doers from the
previous administration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 8:10*am, "StephenM" wrote:
Aren't you lucky that it's not your problem?

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.

-S

That's why I always wince a little bit when someone bashes the
Canadian health care system. Especially when there aren't any Canadian
politicians running on the "We gotta fix our health care system"
platform. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 9:10*am, "StephenM" wrote:
Aren't you lucky that it's not your problem?

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.

-S

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to invade other nations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

StephenM wrote:

Aren't you lucky that it's not your problem?

Do you even imagine that the consequences of US political decisions,
military actions, and commercial irresponsibility extend no further than
our borders?

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.

And some seem to believe that freedom of expression applies only to
themselves.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.

And some seem to believe that freedom of expression applies only to
themselves.

I did not mean to imply that. (sigh.... I was trying to gentle)

I would rather see that expression take the form of constructive dialogue.

IMO, Rob's statement was not constructive.

-S

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 10:56*am, "StephenM" wrote:
Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors..

And some seem to believe that freedom of expression applies only to
themselves.

I did not mean to imply that. (sigh.... I was trying to gentle)

I would rather see that expression take the form of constructive dialogue..

IMO, Rob's statement was not constructive.

What WILL be constructive is to send the message that when something
is illegal, it IS illegal regardless of whether you're the President
or not.
Thousands died based on lies. Torture. On and on.. and NOBODY is
accountable????

A cleansing is in order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

StephenM wrote:
Some might consider it breach of etiquette to critique one's neighbors.

And some seem to believe that freedom of expression applies only to
themselves.

I did not mean to imply that. (sigh.... I was trying to gentle)

I would rather see that expression take the form of constructive dialogue.

IMO, Rob's statement was not constructive.

Rob is a **** stirrer, no question about it - but it's worth noticing
that he seems to expect us to live up to our own highest standards, and
he's inclined to wax impatient when he perceives that we've forgotten
what those are, or when he thinks we've become too lazy or too "busy" to
do more than pay lip service to our principles.

I've found that even when I don't agree with what he says, it's worth at
least asking: "What would lead him to say /that/?"

I suspect that "constructive" is a fairly subjective catagorization, and
that a gentle general discussion is an iffy proposition in a large forum
with a multitude of (sometimes very strong) opinions and very different
life experiences. If I had to choose one over the other, I think I'd go
with constructive.

FWIW, I think robatoy /was/ trying to be constructive, but if you see it
differently why not ask him (directly) where he's coming from? You might
also find it interesting to ask to what extent he considers himself a
stakeholder in the conduct of US politics...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've found that even when I don't agree with what he says, it's worth at
least asking: "What would lead him to say /that/?"

Sometimes, it's not just the message that matters, but the messenger too. I
am proud to be a citizen of the US of A. We are not a perfect people, but we
do have a system which provides for self-correction.

Analogy: You have a 10-year old son who got into some trouble with some of
his friends; and some vandalism was perpatrated and the guity were delivered
home by the local constable. Would you appreciate an otherwise uninvolved
neighbor who interjected himself into the situation to dictate exactly what
punishment should be meated out for your boy?

A neighbor is entitled to his opinion but he would be well served to tread
lightly on internal family issues if he hopes to be invited to the next
BBQ,.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
It doesn't go away by itself.
Watergate "went away" when Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in
disgrace and left town never to be heard from in an official capacity
again.
The Bush presidency is thankfully over...but the damage he and Dick
Cheney did continues to press on the nerve of the American people like
an impacted wisdom tooth. And until the questions surrounding arguably
the most arrogant and perhaps most corrupt administration in our
history are addressed, the pain won't go away.
From Nancy ("Impeachment is off the table") Pelosi to President Barack
[...]

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 10:23*am, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

Why do people keep putting legs on a dead issue?
Basically what you're saying is that no vetting was done.
Right, I forgot, there's only one party and there's no one to do any
dirt digging.
Sheesh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On May 19, 10:23 am, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

Why do people keep putting legs on a dead issue?
Basically what you're saying is that no vetting was done.
Right, I forgot, there's only one party and there's no one to do any
dirt digging.
Sheesh.

Speaking of dead issues, since Robo was slinging ****, game on...
Posted to rec.woodworking

A quick drive by here on my part as I am off to the hospital once more
to be the advocate for my aged father against Medicare/Medicaid and
the hospital system. My mom can't do it because she is starting to
have signs of Alzheimer's.

I am sure this topic and the usual self righteous politicos here will
beat this thread to death while swinging the sword of their version of
the truth.

Probably a little name calling along the way.

Accusations of fealty will be made.

Questions of intelligence concerning other posters that don't agree
with ones that KNOW they are "the light..." they are "the way" will
arise.

Credentials of posters will be questioned.

Sources of information will be questioned and then approved by some,
then dismissed out of hand by others.

All the normal guys that post little concerning woodworking will be
here in force, since it is likely this may be the only venue they can
express their political views with such gusto without someone telling
them to shut up.

In the end, if the goal is achieved, There will be a large foamy pile
of pointless blather describing how screwed up the USA is, and who the
fault lies with.... at least in this thread.

Can't you guys just copy and paste your old responses? Wouldn't it
save time? Isn't this horse (and its variants) dead enough for a
woodworking venue?

Exercising my right to free speech as a tax paying American citizen,
this just makes me tired.

I don't know what the point is to it.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 11:53*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for spoiling the surprise ending, Robert!

Hope everything goes (relatively) smoothly with your folks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
A quick drive by here on my part as I am off to the hospital once more
to be the advocate for my aged father against Medicare/Medicaid and
the hospital system. My mom can't do it because she is starting to
have signs of Alzheimer's.

You are doing the work of a Saint Robert, while probably not immediately
rewarded, you are recognized.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:23:40 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

....and ignoring Afghanistan, and flying Allah-knows-where in Air Force
One, and giving fund-raising dinners, and oogling Hillary...

--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:23:40 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

...and ignoring Afghanistan, and flying Allah-knows-where in Air Force
One, and giving fund-raising dinners, and oogling Hillary...

Gach! That last one there was a visual I could have done without. Thanks
Larry, now I've gotta go find the brain bleach.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:25:47 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:23:40 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

...and ignoring Afghanistan, and flying Allah-knows-where in Air Force
One, and giving fund-raising dinners, and oogling Hillary...

Gach! That last one there was a visual I could have done without. Thanks
Larry, now I've gotta go find the brain bleach.

Sprinkle some on the backroom Pelosi while you're at it.

I needed to share to diffuse it from my own brain. Eeeeek!

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:23:40 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

...and ignoring Afghanistan, and flying Allah-knows-where in Air Force
One, and giving fund-raising dinners, and oogling Hillary...

You mean instead of taking 250 days of vacation in his first three years like
GWB did (most americans would have had about 39 days of paid vacation in the
same timeframe, Carter only took 79 days in his entire term, while BC took 152 days
in two terms). Cite: http://ask.yahoo.com/20031001.html

"Ignoring Afghanistan" is flat out wrong, by the way.

"Allah-knows-where" is pure inflamatory nonsense, designed to elicit hatred and
you should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Oct 2009 15:38:47 GMT, the infamous (Scott
Lurndal) scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:23:40 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Barak's too busy looking for his birth certificate.

...and ignoring Afghanistan, and flying Allah-knows-where in Air Force
One, and giving fund-raising dinners, and oogling Hillary...

You mean instead of taking 250 days of vacation in his first three years like
GWB did (most americans would have had about 39 days of paid vacation in the
same timeframe, Carter only took 79 days in his entire term, while BC took 152 days
in two terms). Cite:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20031001.html

I never said I liked Shrub. Hell, I haven't been happy with any
President since _Reagan_.

"Ignoring Afghanistan" is flat out wrong, by the way.

Tell that to McChrystal and the troops.

"Allah-knows-where" is pure inflamatory nonsense, designed to elicit hatred and
you should be ashamed of yourself.

He tried to shake the Queen of England's hand. He kissed the Saudi
King Abdullah's hand. What are we to think? If Obama had spent (in
Afghanistan) the gas money he's blown in Air Force One this year, the
war might be won and the boys heading home by now.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any B.J.s in the White House during the Bushwhacker's time there that
we should also look into ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

President Obama looking forward isn't a bad thing...I just wish someone
would shut Cheney up....how much more of an arrogant prick can this guy
be? At least Bush crawled back under his rock and hopefully will stay
there. If the average person wants to do something, boycotting fox
"news" and its advertisers is a good place to start. They are dangerous
to the health of this country, spreading lies, fear and hatred in
support of far right extremists and corporate greed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom tom wrote:
President Obama looking forward isn't a bad thing...I just wish someone
would shut Cheney up....how much more of an arrogant prick can this guy
be? At least Bush crawled back under his rock and hopefully will stay
there. If the average person wants to do something, boycotting fox
"news" and its advertisers is a good place to start. They are dangerous
to the health of this country, spreading lies, fear and hatred in
support of far right extremists and corporate greed.

Good point. We can all watch MSNBC. We all know that they are never
opinionated. They would never be one sided.

Also, good point about Cheney. We can't have private citizens speaking
their minds. It's that damned 1st Amendment thing. Can't permit that.
We can't disagree with the leaders in power. That, of course, would
be treason.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom tom wrote:
President Obama looking forward isn't a bad thing...I just wish
someone would shut Cheney up....how much more of an arrogant prick
can this guy be? At least Bush crawled back under his rock and
hopefully will stay there. If the average person wants to do
something, boycotting fox "news" and its advertisers is a good place
to start. They are dangerous to the health of this country, spreading
lies, fear and hatred in support of far right extremists and
corporate greed.

Say what you will, Bush is and was a class act. I do not recall him ever
saying once that any of the then-current problems stemmed from failings of
the Clinton administration. Obama, in his speech Thursday, made reference to
the problems he inherited, by one count, twenty-eight times.

As time goes on, Obama will continue to experience "reality-checks" and
concede that, in many cases, the Bush policies were actually as good as
could be expected. We've already seen reversals from Obama's campaign
rhetoric when faced with some intractable problems.

* Military tribunals
* Closing Gitmo
* Gays in the military
* Detainee pictures
* Retain large troop presence in Iraq

He HAS kept his campaign promises on:

* Stem cell research

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom tom" wrote:

President Obama looking forward isn't a bad thing...I just wish
someone
would shut Cheney up....how much more of an arrogant prick can this
guy
be?

I must take exception, using "prick" to describe Cheney does a
disservice to the word.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:bzeSl.316$Cc1.251
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

"tom tom" wrote:

President Obama looking forward isn't a bad thing...I just wish
someone
would shut Cheney up....how much more of an arrogant prick can this
guy
be?

I must take exception, using "prick" to describe Cheney does a
disservice to the word.

Lew

LOL, but I agree.

--
Best regards
Han

Scary example? Tom S Woodturning 10 July 9th 07 01:47 PM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 6 December 23rd 04 12:16 PM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 21st 04 09:33 AM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 2 December 21st 04 12:25 AM
Scary lesson Ian Dodd Woodworking 16 July 9th 04 06:51 AM