Lazarus Long

Default How to make a fair curve?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:18:13 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:20:45 -0500, Tom Watson

Describe the curved line in a drawing program and print it out full
size.

Do you pick up the mouse and speak into it like Scotty
did in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"? Or how does the
computer program understand your description?

Spray adhesive.

Bandsaur.

Draw it with a CAD program then print it out full scale. If one
doesn't have a large format printer, you'll have to go to a place like
Kinko's for that.

Then spray adhesive, then bandsaw.

Conan the Librarian

wrote in message ...

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Wow. You're right about sticker shock. How are those any better than
cheap rasps you can get for under $10? I find a very hand tool to be a
4-in-hand file:

If you can find one in an antique store a float does a nice job of wood
removal as well. Much faster than a rasp and not as groved a surface.

I've got a couple of new handmade ones, and they are great.
However, if you try to buy an old one from someone who knows what they
are, you'll be out anywhere from $50-100 for a good one. (I got mine
for shipping costs. *meep* *meeep*) They were used mostly for making
wooden planes (i.e., flattening beds, cutting wedge abutments, etc.).

I have a Nicholson, and I've found it to be worth every cent I paid
for it. I do a fair amount of curved work these days, and I tend to
reach for it often. I've also got a couple of those Microplane
thingies, and I'm not that impressed. I expect they make great cheese
graters, but I don't like them for working wood.

Of course the one tool that no-one mentioned in all of this is a
spokeshave. When I'm doing curved work I cut the shape wide of the
mark with a coping saw or fretsaw (depending on thickness), and use a
combination of rasp and shave to work to the line. The nice thing
about a shave is that it leaves a really gorgeous surface that needs
no touching up.

Finally, I'll second the idea of making a template. If it's
oversize and you are going to freehand it, here's one simple way to
make it uniform: Draw out half of the curve on graph paper. Transfer
that to your template. Then flip the half curve over and draw the
rest of the curve on your template. As long as you align things
properly, it has to be uniform.

This is also helpful when you can layout your design online but
it's too large to print on standard paper. If you can fit half the
curve on printer-paper, then you can draw the rest from that.

Chuck Vance
Swingman

"Conan the Librarian"wrote in message

Of course the one tool that no-one mentioned in all of this is a
spokeshave.

The very first table top I ever made, in England some 39 years ago and using
my ex FIL's tools, I did the curved corners using a spokeshave that had been
passed down to him from his grandfather ... wish I had that beautiful old
tool now.

It was a mahogany top and the corners looked like they were cut with a
router they were so crisp.

Going back for a visit in June for my oldest daughter's wedding ... ...
hmmmmm, wonder if he still has it?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Conan the Librarian

"Swingman" wrote in message ...

The very first table top I ever made, in England some 39 years ago and using
my ex FIL's tools, I did the curved corners using a spokeshave that had been
passed down to him from his grandfather ... wish I had that beautiful old
tool now.

It was a mahogany top and the corners looked like they were cut with a
router they were so crisp.

I know of no other tool that can handle those sorts of grain
transitions any better. I've been doing some handcarved bowls and
trays, and the shave leaves such a wonderful surface, even on the
endgrain transitions, that it would be a crime to touch it with
sandpaper afterwards.

And using a shave is probably my favorite shop activity of all.

Going back for a visit in June for my oldest daughter's wedding ... ...
hmmmmm, wonder if he still has it?

Now that would be gloatworthy. :-)

FWIW, if you are in the market for new shaves, definitely check out
the LV/Veritas ones. Their low-angle is a shop favorite, and they
recently came out with a higher-angle shave that is reminiscent of the
Record/Stanley #151 (I think that's the number). (No affiliation,
etc.)

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) Yes, to spokeshaves.

OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
This should make you laugh BigWallop UK diy 9 September 27th 03 02:23 AM