Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good source for Wenge or alternative accent wood

Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut does
not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks like
these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone here
knows about it...

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut
does not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks
like these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone
here knows about it...

Thanks

You probably need to "ebonize" your own wood. Although not a very rapid
process, it can be very effective over a wide range of woods. Lots of
information available on the internets.

e.g.
http://www.woodworkweb.com/index.php...24&Itemi d=28
Posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut
does not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it
looks like these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and
someone here knows about it...

I once had some Peruvian walnut (aka "nogal") that was very, very close to
black. I don't know if that is true of all of it or not. It is also softer
and coarser than walnut.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 10:47*am, "dwolf" wrote:
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut does
not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks like
these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone here
knows about it...

Thanks

Have you tried EBay? There are usually a lot of varieties of wood
available.
Rich
Posted to rec.woodworking

I can respond to all three...
Sometimes when doing inlay wood, or just wood butted up to another species
it's not always possible to dye the wood

I am keeping an eye on E-bay... sometimes the magic works, sometimes is
doesn't

And I have a couple of boards of the peruvian walnut... not dark enough...
or at least the boards I have

"RJDurkee" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 10:47 am, "dwolf" wrote:
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut
does
not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks
like
these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone
here
knows about it...

Thanks

Have you tried EBay? There are usually a lot of varieties of wood
available.
Rich

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dwolf" wrote in message
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut does
not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks
like these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone
here knows about it...

Thanks

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"dwolf" wrote in message
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut
does not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks
like these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone
here knows about it...

Thanks

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

IIRC it is used for musical instruments, the Flute? Lincoln a few years ago
had a Blackwood option for their big SUV, IIRC the dash and door panels had
Blackwood veneers. It may however be more expensive than Ebony, maybe not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"dwolf" wrote in message
Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable
alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot.
So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut
does not cut it.
Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks
like these prices are across the board... (no pun)
But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone
here knows about it...

Thanks

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

Apparently it is used for flooring, that would lead me to believe that it
has to be some what affordable in large quantities.

http://www.countyfloors.com/species_blackwood.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

IIRC it is used for musical instruments, the Flute? Lincoln a few
years ago had a Blackwood option for their big SUV, IIRC the dash
and door panels had Blackwood veneers. It may however be more
expensive than Ebony, maybe not.

The true African black wood used to make clarinets is becoming very
difficult to get.

Also, during the clarinet manufacturing process, there are high losses
due to cracking.

The above courtesy of a PBS show I saw a few years ago.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in message

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

Apparently it is used for flooring, that would lead me to believe that it
has to be some what affordable in large quantities.

http://www.countyfloors.com/species_blackwood.html

My supplier carries African Blackwood in 8/4 thickness at $40.00/bd. ft.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/blackwood.htm

Wenge in 8/4 is $18.00/bd. ft.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/wenge.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in message

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

Apparently it is used for flooring, that would lead me to believe that it
has to be some what affordable in large quantities.

http://www.countyfloors.com/species_blackwood.html

My supplier carries African Blackwood in 8/4 thickness at $40.00/bd. ft.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/blackwood.htm

Wenge in 8/4 is $18.00/bd. ft.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/wenge.htm

Yeah I am betting that it is not going to be the solution unless he can find
it in 4/4 stock, that size "MIGHT" be more reasonable in price.