Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell tools

Greetings All,
I was wondering about the quality of Rockwell tools. As most of us have
seen, the Rockwell name has been around for a long time. I have never bought
a Rockwell tool till now (just received their version of the Fein
Multimaster from Amazon) and it seems to be OK. Are Rockwell tools actually
made by the Rockwell corp, or did they just sell the Rockwell name to some
schlock tool manufacturer??? Thanks, Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mm" wrote in message
Greetings All,
I was wondering about the quality of Rockwell tools. As most of us have
seen, the Rockwell name has been around for a long time. I have never
bought a Rockwell tool till now (just received their version of the Fein
Multimaster from Amazon) and it seems to be OK. Are Rockwell tools
actually made by the Rockwell corp, or did they just sell the Rockwell
name to some schlock tool manufacturer??? Thanks, Mark

It is in no way shape or form the same quality of the older Rockwell. The
new Rockwell has a different logo etc. IIRC Delta acquired Rockwell many
years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mm" wrote in message
Greetings All,
I was wondering about the quality of Rockwell tools. As most of us have
seen, the Rockwell name has been around for a long time. I have never
bought a Rockwell tool till now (just received their version of the Fein
Multimaster from Amazon) and it seems to be OK. Are Rockwell tools
actually made by the Rockwell corp, or did they just sell the Rockwell
name to some schlock tool manufacturer??? Thanks, Mark

First of all, Rockwell bought Delta about 40 years ago. I understand that
the heirs of the originators of Delta had to sell the business to be able to
pay the inheritance tax.

Then, when Rockwell decided to leave the power tool business, they sold the
power tool business to Pentair. Rockwell left because an aerospace company
has no idea about running a business with the general public as purchasers.

Pentair split the business into Porter-Cable and Delta.

When Pentair had to sell both of them, Black & Decker stepped up. Now,
Delta is the fixed power tool division but Porter-Cable is a portable power
tool division. Hence DeWalt and P-C compete with each other, but both are
moving their manufacturing as far away from the US as possible.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

mm wrote:
Greetings All,
I was wondering about the quality of Rockwell tools. As most of us have
seen, the Rockwell name has been around for a long time. I have never
bought a Rockwell tool till now (just received their version of the Fein
Multimaster from Amazon) and it seems to be OK. Are Rockwell tools
actually made by the Rockwell corp, or did they just sell the Rockwell
name to some schlock tool manufacturer??? Thanks, Mark

"A tool maker called Positec Group conducted some market research and,
not surprisingly, found that the name Rockwell had a strong positive
association among tradesmen and woodworkers. Positec bought the name,
and has recently released a new full line of tools that includes drills,
sanders, saws, grinders, routers…even a little oscillating saw meant to
compete with the Fein Multimaster. "

http://finehomebuilding.taunton.com/...rockwell-tools

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
mm wrote:
[...]

I am reading the article at that link but it seems to have things a bit
mixed up. I know that Delta and Porter Cable got together long before B&D
purchased them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Nova" wrote in message
mm wrote:
[...]

If I remember correctly, Rockwell was a respected manufacturer of small
power tools (50 or more years ago). It has bought Porter Cable along the
way somewhere.

Then North American Aviation purchased Rockwell for some reason (becoming
North American - Rockwell). As time went by, the Rockwell part failed to
meet the bean counters expections and became surplus to their needs.

Hence, North American - Rockwell sold the tools division to Pentair.

Pentair moved the portable power tools into the resurected Porter-Cable
division. The remaining power tools moved into the resurrected Delta
division.

Pentair still could not make money with this arrangement, and they sold both
to Black & Decker.

Sometime recently, somebody bought the name "Rockwell" to be used on
imported power tools. These tools have no relationship to the Rockwell from
days gone by.

At least, this is what I remember about this saga.

Jim

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jim wrote:

At least, this is what I remember about this saga.

I think there's an actual corporate time line at the P-C web site.

The above was more or less as I recall it altho I think there are some
details a little different from what I remember but given the number of
changes and time span involved, that's to be expected...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

"A tool maker called Positec Group conducted some market research and,
not surprisingly, found that the name Rockwell had a strong positive
association among tradesmen and woodworkers. Positec bought the name,
and has recently released a new full line of tools that includes drills,
sanders, saws, grinders, routers…even a little oscillating saw meant to
compete with the Fein Multimaster. "

Got my first look at them at McCoy's in Bastrop, TX the other day ...
was not impressed. Unfortunately for Chinese companies such as this who
look to capitalize on old respected names (AKA, playing cheap
psychological tricks on gullible consumers), some of us have been around
long enough to remember why they were originally respected.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:30:00 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Nova wrote:

"A tool maker called Positec Group conducted some market research and,
not surprisingly, found that the name Rockwell had a strong positive
association among tradesmen and woodworkers. Positec bought the name,
and has recently released a new full line of tools that includes drills,
sanders, saws, grinders, routers…even a little oscillating saw meant to
compete with the Fein Multimaster. "

Got my first look at them at McCoy's in Bastrop, TX the other day ...
was not impressed. Unfortunately for Chinese companies such as this who
look to capitalize on old respected names (AKA, playing cheap
psychological tricks on gullible consumers), some of us have been around
long enough to remember why they were originally respected.

I have some older Porter Cable, B&D and a Delta Unisaw that were
manufactured here and will outlive me. The only tool I will still buy
is Milwaukee..Please don't tell me they have sold. The Chineee like to
use old names like Ridgid etc etc...
I will admit to buying cases of Makita drills and screw guns for
business use simply because the brushes were so accessable without
opening the tool plus they are a quality tool. Grinders etc didn't
conform to standard shaft sizes.
Kenneth
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Jim wrote:

At least, this is what I remember about this saga.

I think there's an actual corporate time line at the P-C web site.

The above was more or less as I recall it altho I think there are some
details a little different from what I remember but given the number of
changes and time span involved, that's to be expected...

The big points were--

Rockwell bought Delta in 1945
Delta bought out Walker-Turner in 1956
Porter-Cable was also acquired by Rockwell in 1961

Pentair acquired both in 1981

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/delta_history.aspx

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/pc_history.aspx

The prose at the two links casts all the warts in the fairest possible
light, of course, but the chronology is there...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

[...]

Milwaukee has been sold.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:56:56 -0500, "Jim" wrote:

I have some older Porter Cable, B&D and a Delta Unisaw that were
manufactured here and will outlive me. The only tool I will still buy
is Milwaukee..Please don't tell me they have sold. The Chineee like to
use old names like Ridgid etc etc...
I will admit to buying cases of Makita drills and screw guns for
business use simply because the brushes were so accessable without
opening the tool plus they are a quality tool. Grinders etc didn't
conform to standard shaft sizes.
Kenneth

Milwaukee has been sold.
Jim

He's right, Digger. I think the company that bought them is a new
company called Who Flung Poo. They'll be changing the case color from
red to brown.

G.S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

The big points were--

Rockwell bought Delta in 1945
Delta bought out Walker-Turner in 1956
Porter-Cable was also acquired by Rockwell in 1961

Pentair acquired both in 1981

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/delta_history.aspx

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/pc_history.aspx

The prose at the two links casts all the warts in the fairest possible
light, of course, but the chronology is there...

--

That sounds more like it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go here for much more accurate info....

http://wiki.owwm.com/DeltaHistory.ashx

by a past member of the rec.

Leon wrote:

I am reading the article at that link but it seems to have things a bit
mixed up. I know that Delta and Porter Cable got together long before B&D
purchased them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Go here for much more accurate info....

http://wiki.owwm.com/DeltaHistory.ashx

by a past member of the rec.

Thanks Pat. I had forgotten about this writeup. One can never forget
Keith however.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:43:47 -0500, "mm" wrote:

Greetings All,
I was wondering about the quality of Rockwell tools. As most of us have
seen, the Rockwell name has been around for a long time. I have never bought
a Rockwell tool till now (just received their version of the Fein
Multimaster from Amazon) and it seems to be OK. Are Rockwell tools actually
made by the Rockwell corp, or did they just sell the Rockwell name to some
schlock tool manufacturer??? Thanks, Mark

Rockwell only makes industrial process controllers and such. They
bought Allen Bradly and jettisoned just about everything "Rockwell"
except the name.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Go here for much more accurate info....

http://wiki.owwm.com/DeltaHistory.ashx

by a past member of the rec.

This is a great article and explains a lot about my tools, which I
bought from the original owner. His wife bought them for his birthday
in the very early 50's, 1954 is my guess. My lathe is a Rockwell
Homecraft, Drill press is a Craftsman King Seeley, and the rest are
Rockwell Delta. I'm pretty certain all these were purchased from the
same place on the same day, and it had to be a Rockwell/Delta Machinery
place. I can say this about all of the tools, they are pushing 60 years
old, are still in near perfect shape, are a pleasure to use. They even
have all the original motors and only the table saw had motor work so far.

When I bought these in 1975 I recall going to Rockwell machinery, which
was located in Pgh Pa, and getting some accessories. After the clerk
found out what I had, he advised the tools had changed greatly, and for
the worse. He pointed out the 14" band saw which was on display was a
piece of ****. I said it looked similar... he showed me all sorts of
things that were NOT the same. For example, the old ones had large
heavy duty handles to adjust the table, the support post for the blade
guide was an octagon instead of a round bar so you could adjust the
height even when running, no problem and it always stays in line. Stuff
like that which makes you wonder why anyone would change stuff like this
for the worse? Save a few pennies here and there, and eventually go out
of business, the American dream...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Pat Barber wrote:

Stuff
like that which makes you wonder why anyone would change stuff like this
for the worse? Save a few pennies here and there, and eventually go out
of business, the American dream...

I can imagine the rising cost of union labor played a large role.

Rockwell saw SteveB Home Repair 11 October 6th 08 12:22 AM
using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools rank beginner Home Repair 7 August 10th 07 12:17 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air) Thomas G. Marshall Woodworking 10 January 4th 06 06:12 PM
TOOLS! Great Holiday Gifts, selling a shop full of tools (AUBURN, WA pickup only): fred Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 07:25 AM