Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Built Drum Sander Mk2 (slightly spammy)

I have the pages up now for the new version of my drum sander. I do
have a couple of kits available for sale so I apologize for the
slightly spammy nature of this post, but the plans are up there for
free and I hope it will be of benefit to those thinking about building
one of these.

http://www.krtwood.com/ww/sander2/

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have the pages up now for the new version of my drum sander. I do
have a couple of kits available for sale so I apologize for the
slightly spammy nature of this post, but the plans are up there for
free and I hope it will be of benefit to those thinking about building
one of these.

http://www.krtwood.com/ww/sander2/

-Kevin

It does not even have the hint of Spam smell. ;~) Why not? Because you
contribute!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Great looking unit. Nice work.

Building machines from wood reminds me of how you can often tell what
trade a guy is in by looking at his pickup truck. Carpenters will
often have a nice plywood and 2-b-for frame. A wood worker has spar
varnished oak rails, a plumber a rack made from pipe, etc.

This extends to other areas too. I have a neighbor, obviously a sheet
metal guy. About half of the 4x4 post and two rail fence on his corner
lot has rotted away. He is replacing it with sheetmetal studs which
after painting look pretty much like the rest of the wood fence.

On Apr 9, 11:18*am, wrote:
I have the pages up now for the new version of my drum sander. *I do
have a couple of kits available for sale so I apologize for the
slightly spammy nature of this post, but the plans are up there for
free and I hope it will be of benefit to those thinking about building
one of these.

http://www.krtwood.com/ww/sander2/

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Great looking unit. Nice work.

Building machines from wood reminds me of how you can often tell what
trade a guy is in by looking at his pickup truck. Carpenters will
often have a nice plywood and 2-b-for frame. A wood worker has spar
varnished oak rails, a plumber a rack made from pipe, etc.

This extends to other areas too. I have a neighbor, obviously a sheet
metal guy. About half of the 4x4 post and two rail fence on his corner
lot has rotted away. He is replacing it with sheetmetal studs which
after painting look pretty much like the rest of the wood fence.

==============

I know of what you speak.

I used to build gym equipment. We made most of our equipment with steel
square tubing. And we used a lot of pulleys and cable. Using those materials
and skill set, I have built a lot of things that raised some eyebrows. But
it is what I know and it is sturdy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have the pages up now for the new version of my drum sander. I do
have a couple of kits available for sale so I apologize for the
slightly spammy nature of this post, but the plans are up there for
free and I hope it will be of benefit to those thinking about building
one of these.

http://www.krtwood.com/ww/sander2/

-Kevin

Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

This ain't spam. This is sharing some wildly creative garage engineering
with us. Aren't you the guy who makes those mad creative jewelery boxes?
This is more of the creative side of you. We love to see that sort of
thing. I read the whole thing through. To tell the truth, I would have
never thought of doing something like this. Good on ya Kevin.

I put this post right up there with the best of Swingman's posts. There are
some folks who really CONTRIBUTE when it comes to informative
websites/posts. You and swingman are in that catagory.

Again, this ain't spam. This is the good stuff. Feel free to create
anything else you desire, document it and share it with us. We will lap it
up and feel a little envious/unworthy.But that is OK. And I have to say it
again.

Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 7:46 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Baby! This is a baby:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4943

The original version I could pick up and move around. I am not sure
how much this one weighs but I sure can't pick it up.

This ain't spam.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to give people a heads up there was
something for sale in there.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 4:08 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Great looking unit. Nice work

Well it looks a lot better than the old one, that's for sure. I don't
worry about what things for the shop look like too much, just so long
as they do the job. But it's going to look pretty spiffy once I get
the table covered in stainless

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

[...]

Ok Lee, the machine is "cool" and appears to be well thought out.
Cute?, A baby drum sander? I immediately pictured my ND neighbor making a
similar comment about a 2k walnut desk I had just completed for a customer.
He is a little light in his loafers. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Apr 9, 7:46 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Baby! This is a baby:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4943

No kidding, I was actually considering that one a couple of years ago, but
thought that the 16/32 would be the better choice. My wife talked me into
the 22/44. I find it adequate and am perfectly happsy with it. I shutter
to think having to do some of the things that I do with the smaller models.

Concerning yours, it appears to be a manual feed style, correct? Strictly
light pass? Have you ever considered the Sand Flee?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=61030

Or in kit form,

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/119

It seems that it would accomplish the same thing with an easier and less
complex build.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hell, that's pretty

Not in the market yet, but long term I may get lustful.. I was considering a
face drum sander but I can see advantages here too.

1 Howsabout considering shipping to the land of our own dear Queen?

2 How's the drum made?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Ok Lee, the machine is "cool" and appears to be well thought out.
Cute?, A baby drum sander? I immediately pictured my ND neighbor making a
similar comment about a 2k walnut desk I had just completed for a customer.
He is a little light in his loafers. ;~)

Every time my wife sees a Ferrari, Lambo, Porche or other very cool
looking European sports car, she says, "ahh, that's a cute little car."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:48 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 9, 7:46 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Baby! This is a baby:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4943

No kidding, I was actually considering that one a couple of years ago, but
thought that the 16/32 would be the better choice. My wife talked me into
the 22/44. I find it adequate and am perfectly happsy with it. I shutter
to think having to do some of the things that I do with the smaller models.

Concerning yours, it appears to be a manual feed style, correct? Strictly
light pass?

It really depends on the stock. I make a lot of dovetailed cedar
boxes for a wholesale client. I start out with rough 4/4 which is
usually about 1-1/8 to start with from my supplier. That gets resawn
in half at the band saw and then I make some pretty aggressive passes
through the drum sander with 60 grit. But try that with hard maple
and you'll just destroy the paper.

Have you ever considered the Sand Flee?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=61030

Or in kit form,

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/119

It seems that it would accomplish the same thing with an easier and less
complex build.

But you can't sand to a thickness with that. With the case of the
dovetail parts, I may not care what the actual final thickness ends up
being but I do care that all ~50 pieces are the same thickness. I
don't even own a planer, haven't felt the need for one. I either buy
s2s or I resaw and sand it. With figured woods, or anything with
knots, you're going to need to make several passes to get out the
tearout, and like a jointer sure you could get away with just a light
pass but start making many passes and who knows if your surfaces are
going to still be parallel.

I use it all the time in fitting parts to a groove or slot, sometimes
it makes more sense to do that than to fit the groove to the part.
For example when I make jewelry box drawer dividers, the slots in the
dividers are a saw kerf wide and they need to fit perfectly.

The other nice thing about the way the paper is attached is you can
have multiple grits on the drum at the same time, without losing any
of the drum. Apparently with the sand flee you can use multiple grits
too, but with the spiral wrapping you're going to lose an area in the
middle where the grits are overlapping each other. Typically I have
60 grit on half and 120 on the other half. As long as it's less than
9" wide I don't have to change the paper.

I don't know how the results compare to a performax. I am sure with
the conveyor you can get more consistent results, and not get a
workout using it. You're doing the work of that ~1/6 hp feed motor.
Pricewise it sure beats the pants of it though, especially if you
already have a motor.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 11:47 am, Bored Borg
wrote:
Hell, that's pretty

Not in the market yet, but long term I may get lustful.. I was considering a
face drum sander but I can see advantages here too.

1 Howsabout considering shipping to the land of our own dear Queen?

I'm only doing a handful of these. I had visions of selling them when
I first came up with the second design a few years back and ordered a
bunch of parts, but I am not set up as an LLC and the liability issues
are more than I want to deal with. Plus I'm busy enough doing actual
woodworking now I'd rather concentrate on that. So I just want to
sell what I have on hand, and if someone else wants to run with making
the kits they're more than welcome, the plans are there for anyone to
use and improve upon.

2 How's the drum made?

It may not have made it obvious enough, but there are a bunch of pages
up there explaining everything with photos, there's an index of the
links off to the right of the photo. But basically, it's just a bunch
of MDF circles. I had 100 of them CNC'd, but you can just band saw
them as they don't need to be accurate. Once it's all glued up you
true it up by attaching sandpaper to a block of wood and just raise up
the table until it's true. If you want to spiral wrap paper on it
that's all you need to do besides figure out a way to clamp the paper
at the edges. But I use a wedge clamping method to use regular sheet
paper, so there's a slot cut in the drum and evenly spaced threaded
inserts.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I don't know how the results compare to a performax. I am sure with
the conveyor you can get more consistent results, and not get a
workout using it. You're doing the work of that ~1/6 hp feed motor.
Pricewise it sure beats the pants of it though, especially if you
already have a motor.

-Kevin

Thanks for the explanation Kevin. It makes more sense to me now. One thing
in particular I enjoyed using my drum sander for was making jewelry box
drawers fit with even spacing. My 12 drawer chests have 4 different height
drawers and I cut the drawers to fit the opening exactly. Then I sand the
top and bottoms of the drawer assemblies to get the perfect gap on top and
bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Ahhhhh...., that is so cute!! A baby drum sander.

Ok Lee, the machine is "cool" and appears to be well thought out. Cute?,
A baby drum sander? I immediately pictured my ND neighbor making a
similar comment about a 2k walnut desk I had just completed for a
customer. He is a little light in his loafers. ;~)

Every time my wife sees a Ferrari, Lambo, Porche or other very cool
looking European sports car, she says, "ahh, that's a cute little car."

And that is the perfect comment, she is a "girl". LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Would it be easier for someone with a good lathe to make one?

I think the trick would be to have the center shaft perfectly centered.
But, perhaps if you could mount the shaft with the pieces already mounted...

I was thinking, lathe, because the whole thing looks like a giant pen
kit. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 1:34 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
But basically, it's just a bunch
of MDF circles. I had 100 of them CNC'd, but you can just band saw
them as they don't need to be accurate.
-Kevin

Would it be easier for someone with a good lathe to make one?

I don't think so. It really only takes a few minutes to true it, and
not only do you get it rounded but you also get it parallel to the
table at the same time. In practice it doesn't stay *perfectly*
parallel once you move it up and down a few times, but what's a few
thou between friends. The difficult part is the groove, installing
the threaded inserts, and making the wedges.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 4:32 pm, Tom Veatch wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:55:36 -0500, "Leon"

wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
But basically, it's just a bunch
of MDF circles. I had 100 of them CNC'd, but you can just band saw
them as they don't need to be accurate. -Kevin

Would it be easier for someone with a good lathe to make one?

I think the trick would be to have the center shaft perfectly centered. ...

Since they don't need to be that accurate, a hole saw will give you
disks with a centered hole. That's the technique I generally use when
I need small disks with an approximate diameter and a centered hole.

Good idea. You need a finished diameter around 3.5", give or take, to
fit sheet paper wrapped the long way so a 3-3/4" hole saw is probably
about right, maybe 4" depending on the how thick the teeth are.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Good idea. You need a finished diameter around 3.5", give or take,
fit sheet paper wrapped the long way so a 3-3/4" hole saw is
probably
about right, maybe 4" depending on the how thick the teeth are.

Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press
will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it
comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.

Think I'd consider a BIG table mounted router /w/ a BIG straight bit,
and a clamping jig that will allow moving the jig /w/ the piece into
the cutter, then rotating to finish cut the blank.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press
will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it
comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.

Think I'd consider a BIG table mounted router /w/ a BIG straight bit,
and a clamping jig that will allow moving the jig /w/ the piece into
the cutter, then rotating to finish cut the blank.

Lew

Or make one with the hole saw, and the rest on the router with a pattern
bit.

(deja vu)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

Or make one with the hole saw, and the rest on the router with a
pattern bit.

A production job in MDF?

A pattern bit?

Much faster and lower cost to use a standard carbide end mill.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 7:12 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press
will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it
comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.

Think I'd consider a BIG table mounted router /w/ a BIG straight bit,
and a clamping jig that will allow moving the jig /w/ the piece into
the cutter, then rotating to finish cut the blank.

Lew

Or make one with the hole saw, and the rest on the router with a pattern
bit.

Well, if I were doing it I'd still go with the band saw. Cut a bunch
of 4" squares, drill the 5/8" holes in the center. Stack 4-5 at a
time on a dowel for the cutting. No need to use a circle cutting jig,
it doesn't have to be that accurate.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well, if I were doing it I'd still go with the band saw. Cut a
bunch
of 4" squares, drill the 5/8" holes in the center. Stack 4-5 at a
time on a dowel for the cutting. No need to use a circle cutting
jig,
it doesn't have to be that accurate.

Your production requirements would appear to be at best only modest
and as you indicate, accuracy is not a high priority.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:27:53 +0100, Lew Hodgett wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Good idea. You need a finished diameter around 3.5", give or take,
fit sheet paper wrapped the long way so a 3-3/4" hole saw is
probably
about right, maybe 4" depending on the how thick the teeth are.

Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press
will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it
comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.

Think I'd consider a BIG table mounted router /w/ a BIG straight bit,
and a clamping jig that will allow moving the jig /w/ the piece into
the cutter, then rotating to finish cut the blank.

Lew

or maybe knock up a simple router lathe, running a router along an mdf track
with a "log" turned by hand between centres below it..
\
no, hang that.. you're right. Do it on a router table with a free-moving jig
- a frame with two end-screws supporting yer log/composite, turn it and slide
it along the drum axis, over the bit. Turn a bit more and make another
pass... then raise the bit a tad and repeat. Tedious but maybe bearable for
a one-off. Like a 3d version of cutting circles with a table saw jig.

OR
use drain pipe with two routed end cheeks, an end-to-end slot with an
internal backing piece to take your wedgie

stack of mis-burned CDRs ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:27:53 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Trying to generate 3-1/2" slugs using a hole saw and a drill press
will at best a slow job, not only the cutting, but especially when it
comes to getting the slug out of the hole saw.

Fly cutter

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Douglass" wrote: