Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default fixing stained wood

Put together panel door for shop cabinet. Is stained with an oil-based
stain as a base, then a water-based stain on top. On one stile,noticed
the planer had chipped out the wood, so now it has pockets of stain so
it looks blotchy. Because remaiing rails and stiles look good, would
like to fix. Can I use a damp iron to raise the wood? What will the
oil and water stains do?

Other ways I know to fix is either:
a) sand it down, use stainable wood putty, restain
b) router off 1/4 inch, glue on thick veneer and restain the veneer.

What is your vote?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip other stiles in similar manner and restain so they all have
specks.

No chip out can't be ironed out, only dents.

hard to do anything at this point. I would suggest getting a filler
stick or crayon of the right color and fill the holes to try and match
the existing color.

On Apr 7, 8:23*am, cc wrote:
Put together panel door for shop cabinet. Is stained with an oil-based
stain as a base, then a water-based stain on top. On one stile,noticed
the planer had chipped out the wood, so now it has pockets of stain so
it looks blotchy. Because remaiing rails and stiles look good, would
like to fix. Can I use a damp iron to raise the wood? What will the
oil and water stains do?

Other ways I know to fix is either:
*a) sand it down, use stainable wood putty, restain
b) router off 1/4 inch, glue on thick veneer and restain the veneer.

What is your vote?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 11:13*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Chip other stiles in similar manner and restain so they all have
specks.

LMAO.... now that's fix I like!

"Uhhhhh.... sure lady, it's supposed to look that way. I had to do
every single one by hand with a hammer. It's called distressed. I
can't believe you didn't know that."

I am remembering the day when we did all kinds of nasty things to wood
when folks wanted distressed finishes. We tapped the wood with
hammers, laid screw in the wood and tapped the screw threads, hit wood
with chain, dropped sharp and heavy things on it, and then used
different colors of stain flicked on the finish with a whisk broom.

Then we glazed it to highlight the imperfections, and then put a nice
finish coat over that.

UGLY and NASTY, I can't personally say enough bad things about that
60's - 80's style of finish. That wasn't really finishing at all...
it was wood abuse.

As for CC, I agree with Sonoma P. There really isn't much at all you
can do now except stain darker and try to blend in your colors.

If it were me and it was a restoration I would dig out as much stain
as I could without damaging the wood. Think EXACTO knives and Dremels
here. I would put a bit of sanding sealer or wood conditioner in the
chips. Then I would take the oil based stains and match the color on
a scrap until I got what I wanted and paint the chips, NOT wiping off
the color stain unless it is to blend in the colors.

For a multitude of reasons, it is always good to use a conditioner of
some sort before staining. At the best, it will help you have control
over blotchiness and overall color control. It will also help
mitigate the color absorption in the little pockets/dent/chips as they
will get a good dose of conditioner first.

This will slow down the absorption of your color since the damage
broken grains fibers won't wick in the colors as fast or as much since
they will be partially sealed with the conditioner.

Good luck!

Robert

still chuckling... chip the other stiles....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Distressed finish comment:

I actually really like distressed finishes. If I drop my hammer by
mistake I'll just charge a little more.

I actually had the idea and did some sketches to make a really big
sort of tumbler. I was going to strap the piece of furniture inside a
big sort of barrel (think cement mixer or clothes dryer), toss in a
hand full of tools, fastners, chain and then let it run for prescribed
time depending on how much distress you wer looking for.

Still might do it some day just for fun.

On Apr 7, 1:38*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Distressed finish comment:

I actually really like distressed finishes. If I drop my hammer by
mistake I'll just charge a little more.

I actually had the idea and did some sketches to make a really big
sort of tumbler. I was going to strap the piece of furniture inside a
big sort of barrel (think cement mixer or clothes dryer), toss in a
hand full of tools, fastners, chain and then let it run for prescribed
time depending on how much distress you wer looking for.

Still might do it some day just for fun.

Someone's already created the machine. It's called a "UPS truck". ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice! And so true.

On Fedex Ground I had a piece dissapear. Fed ex said their "last mile"
contractor was the problem. Some loser company that delivers in the
backwoods where Fedex dare not go I suppose. My client said he got
hold of them when he saw it shown as having been delivered but he
didn't have it. They claimed to have delivered it to the wrong house
and said they had a pickup and re-deliver scheduled. After a few days
of that I found out about it and got involved. When I got hold of the
loser company they said "oh you have to call the morning shift." So I
called and they said "you have to talk to the afternoon shift." I
explaind they said to talk with the morning shift already, she said
"let me put you on hold" and then hung up. My call back was then not
answered.

I called Fedex and told them the story and submitted an insurance
claim right then. I then built and sent a second piece. Fedex paid the
claim in whole with what I sold the piece for so I made the margin on
the same piece twice. About two weeks later the flattened box with
ratteling parts inside and tire marks over the top was on my doorstep
flagged as "undeliverable, address does not exist."

Nice. The craftsman end table was rubble.

On Apr 7, 4:02*pm, Nova wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Distressed finish comment:

I actually really like distressed finishes. If I drop my hammer by
mistake I'll just charge a little more.

I actually had the idea and did some sketches to make a really big
sort of tumbler. I was going to strap the piece of furniture inside a
big sort of barrel (think cement mixer or clothes dryer), toss in a
hand full of tools, fastners, chain and then let it run for prescribed
time depending on how much distress you wer looking for.

Still might do it some day just for fun.

Someone's already created the machine. *It's called a "UPS truck". ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

I kinda got even with them for you (also true).

I ordered 10 cases (12 cans per case) of solvent based day-glow orange
pavement marking paint for my job, but had them delivered to my home for
convenience to myself.

The paint cans have a donut shaped cap with a finger cut out so that the
cap doesn't have to be removed to spray the paint.

The cases apparently were stacked three high along the side of the truck
for delivery. The driver took the turn onto my street too fast causing
the cases to tip over, busting open three the box tops and hitting the
caps just right to set off 36 of the paint cans inside the truck.

The entire inside of the truck was a bright day-glow orange. The FedEx
dispatcher told the driver he would have to clean the truck when he got
back to the terminal.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

The cases apparently were stacked three high along the side of the truck
for delivery. The driver took the turn onto my street too fast causing
the cases to tip over, busting open three the box tops and hitting the
caps just right to set off 36 of the paint cans inside the truck.

That's funny!

Could he breathe in the truck?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

On Fedex Ground I had a piece dissapear. Fed ex said their "last mile"
contractor was the problem. Some loser company that delivers in the
backwoods where Fedex dare not go I suppose.
============================

I'm certain FedEx is a fine company; however, when it comes to making
deliveries to us, they would screw up a wet dream.

We only accept UPS shipments.

Have had the same UPS guy for more than 10 years.

Have yet to have a problem.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

The cases apparently were stacked three high along the side of the
truck for delivery. The driver took the turn onto my street too fast
causing the cases to tip over, busting open three the box tops and
hitting the caps just right to set off 36 of the paint cans inside the
truck.

That's funny!

Could he breathe in the truck?

I'm only about six houses down from the corner where they tipped over so
he wasn't in there with the fumes very long.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 5:53*pm, Nova wrote:

I'm only about six houses down from the corner where they tipped over so
he wasn't in there with the fumes very long.

LMAO!!!

Damn that was funny, Jack!

I have a great picture of a cartoon character running for his life
when a bee hive is dropped in his truck!

I don't like those guys... too bad you don't have a picture of the
insides of the truck!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

God save the Queen.

On Apr 10, 2:24*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Nova wrote:

Someone's already created the machine. *It's called a "UPS truck". ;-)

In the UK, UPS are among the better quality couriers!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 23:42:41 GMT, the infamous Nova
scrawled the following:

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Oh, man! Heartbreaking story.

I kinda got even with them for you (also true).

I ordered 10 cases (12 cans per case) of solvent based day-glow orange
pavement marking paint for my job, but had them delivered to my home for
convenience to myself.

Huh? Orange is for marking telecom lines. What mountain are you
going to mark for telecom, Yack?

I have to use white when I need to dig in a client's yard.

The paint cans have a donut shaped cap with a finger cut out so that the
cap doesn't have to be removed to spray the paint.

The cases apparently were stacked three high along the side of the truck
for delivery. The driver took the turn onto my street too fast causing
the cases to tip over, busting open three the box tops and hitting the
caps just right to set off 36 of the paint cans inside the truck.

The entire inside of the truck was a bright day-glow orange. The FedEx
dispatcher told the driver he would have to clean the truck when he got
back to the terminal.

Eek! I'll bet that was a real mess.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice. The craftsman end table was rubble.

Oh, man! Heartbreaking story.

I kinda got even with them for you (also true).

I ordered 10 cases (12 cans per case) of solvent based day-glow orange
pavement marking paint for my job, but had them delivered to my home for
convenience to myself.

Huh? Orange is for marking telecom lines. What mountain are you
going to mark for telecom, Yack?

Uhmm... Telco lines, the long distance kind. I mark them with three
letters and an "&".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:33:38 -0400, the infamous Nova
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice. The craftsman end table was rubble.

Oh, man! Heartbreaking story.

I kinda got even with them for you (also true).

I ordered 10 cases (12 cans per case) of solvent based day-glow orange
pavement marking paint for my job, but had them delivered to my home for
convenience to myself.

Huh? Orange is for marking telecom lines. What mountain are you
going to mark for telecom, Yack?

Uhmm... Telco lines, the long distance kind. I mark them with three
letters and an "&".

Still, that's a whole lot of paint.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)