Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stock Room Supply Drum Sander

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Drum Sander Kit from Stockroom
Supply?

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

I saw the company mentioned in an earlier post about sanding discs,
and started poking around the site. The idea of the drum sander is
intriguing - the sandpaper is velcroed to the drum, and the spinning
action causes the paper to lift slightly from the drum, allowing air
to circulate. Sounds like a pretty cool product, and I wonder if it
really works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Drum Sander Kit from Stockroom
Supply?

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

I saw the company mentioned in an earlier post about sanding discs,
and started poking around the site. The idea of the drum sander is
intriguing - the sandpaper is velcroed to the drum, and the spinning
action causes the paper to lift slightly from the drum, allowing air
to circulate. Sounds like a pretty cool product, and I wonder if it
really works.

I saw them at the Nashville Woodworking Show,
stood and watched all his demonstrations.

It was the savior of the show. I was thoroughly impressed.
It worked extremely well in every application.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Drum Sander Kit from Stockroom
Supply?

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

I've got the 18" kit. I used the motor from an old dryer to power it.

I don't use it much--I made my own table and the top is not absolutely
flat. In their design this is absolutely critical otherwise you get
snipe and uneven sanding. It may be worth getting their top due to this
issue.

I have used it for a few things, and eventually I'll make a new top and
it may become more useful.

The dust does generally drop straight down as advertised, and the paper
doesn't gum up or burn.

One thing to consider is that in the normal configuration this is not a
thickness sander. It's almost more like an abrasive jointer.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think maybe the posting about "Laminating sheet metal" posted
yesterday is from a guy who is currently building one of these. People
who have them seem to like them but yes, not like a formal drum sander
that can be used to control accurate thickness but a good wide surface
sanding solution.

On Mar 31, 9:49*am, Mike wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Drum Sander Kit from Stockroom
Supply?

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

I saw the company mentioned in an earlier post about sanding discs,
and started poking around the site. The idea of the drum sander is
intriguing - the sandpaper is velcroed to the drum, and the spinning
action causes the paper to lift slightly from the drum, allowing air
to circulate. Sounds like a pretty cool product, and I wonder if it
really works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Drum Sander Kit from Stockroom
Supply?

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

I saw the company mentioned in an earlier post about sanding discs,
and started poking around the site. The idea of the drum sander is
intriguing - the sandpaper is velcroed to the drum, and the spinning
action causes the paper to lift slightly from the drum, allowing air
to circulate. Sounds like a pretty cool product, and I wonder if it
really works.

Holy cripes, that thing has an exposed motor and belt! That's downright
dangerous, and there outa be a law. A guy could get his short and
curlies hung up in that thing!

--
"Here Sarge, let me show you a picture of my wife."
"Ah, she's a bit ugly though, isn't she Sir?"

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Holy cripes, that thing has an exposed motor and belt! That's downright
dangerous, and there outa be a law. A guy could get his short and
curlies hung up in that thing!

You woodwork in the nude, too?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Looked at flicker and saw the ole Ghost pedal. Brings back memories.
Back in the day that was the only pedal I could use for my right foot
that wouldn't snap in half once I got pounding. However, to get the
action I wanted I had to spin the cups to the max tension and I'd
break the springs every few months instead. It got so I could
disassemble and replace the springs in a matter of a minute or two.
Even then the flanges on the cups would eventually wear out and
wouldn't hold on any longer. I had a pile of those things laying
around.

Now I use the Pearl Eliminators for bass pedal and High Hat. Pearl
used to be cheap stuff back in the day but their eliminator stuff is
fricking awesome.

On Mar 31, 10:32*am, Steve Turner wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Looked at flicker and saw the ole Ghost pedal. Brings back memories.
Back in the day that was the only pedal I could use for my right foot
that wouldn't snap in half once I got pounding. However, to get the
action I wanted I had to spin the cups to the max tension and I'd
break the springs every few months instead. It got so I could
disassemble and replace the springs in a matter of a minute or two.
Even then the flanges on the cups would eventually wear out and
wouldn't hold on any longer. I had a pile of those things laying
around.

I always wanted a Ghost pedal (the marketing in those old catalogs used
to work wonders on me as an impressionable teenager) but I never got to
play one; had to resort to Speed Kings instead.

Now I use the Pearl Eliminators for bass pedal and High Hat. Pearl
used to be cheap stuff back in the day but their eliminator stuff is
fricking awesome.

Yep, I use the same thing. Eliminator pedals are very highly regarded
in the drumming community.

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Holy cripes, that thing has an exposed motor and belt! That's
downright dangerous, and there outa be a law. A guy could get his
short and curlies hung up in that thing!

You woodwork in the nude, too?

Nudity - it's not just for drummers any more! :-)

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I never understood all the hype on Ghost pedals. I remember thet
were just idolized and I bought into it. When I got my first one I was
so dissapointed when it was so sloooow I went back to the speed king.
But once I put on some weight and muscle I could snap a speed king
pedal at will so I pulled the ghost back out with it's fricking thick
platform pedal and just maxed the tension to get some action.

On Mar 31, 11:22*am, Steve Turner wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Yeah, I never understood all the hype on Ghost pedals. I remember thet
were just idolized and I bought into it. When I got my first one I was
so dissapointed when it was so sloooow I went back to the speed king.

That's like going from a Chevette to a Pinto. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Yeah, I never understood all the hype on Ghost pedals. I remember thet
were just idolized and I bought into it. When I got my first one I was
so dissapointed when it was so sloooow I went back to the speed king.

That's like going from a Chevette to a Pinto. :-)

LOL. Yeah well, that's about all we had in those days. A lot of
amazing drummers managed to pull off some pretty amazing tricks in their
Chevettes and Pintos :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't use it much--I made my own table and the top is not absolutely
flat. In their design this is absolutely critical otherwise you get
snipe and uneven sanding. It may be worth getting their top due to this
issue.

I've got a bunch of melamine laminated particle board shelves laying
around from old office cabinets - they make really great shop
fixtures. Might be a good application - do you know how much material
you need on each side of the drum? (if you have the 18" drum, how wide
overall is your top?)

A few other posters mentioned that this setup would not work as a
thicknesser - I agree. I'm thinking that I could use the planer to get
stock to within a very close tolerance of the desired thickness and
then run it through the drum sander to clean up the mill marks left
from the planner (unless I've just changed the blades that day!)

Who knows - if their kit is basically a drum wrapped in velcro with
the necessary bearings, how tough could it be to make the whole thing
on my own?

The only thing I hate more than sanding, is paying for something that
I can make myself!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 1:11 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I think maybe the posting about "Laminating sheet metal" posted
yesterday is from a guy who is currently building one of these.

That would be me, and nope. Mine is a thickness sander, and I think
if you are going to have a drum sander you really should have the
ability to sand to parallel surfaces and to thickness, which you can't
do either with that design.

This is the original version I used for 3-4 years, and it has a couple
links to where I got a lot of my info. It was really made with a lot
of compromises that ended up being not good choices, and I learned a
lot about what didn't work. But still it worked well enough, and was
still working. And I don't own a planer so it gets used a whole lot.

http://www.krtwood.com/sander.html

The new version has a plywood case. The table pivots on steel pins in
bronze bushings rather than from a hinge, flanged bearings rather than
pillow blocks, and the belt is on the outside of the case. That made
it much easier to set it up with the table pivoting parallel to the
drum. It uses the same paper clamping system, but I used MDF discs
instead of the half rounds. I had to cut the paper to length on the
old one, now it's sized to fit the paper, and it's now 18" long so it
holds two full sheets. Which is great being able to set up half 60
grit, half 120 grit for anything narrower than 9".

The titling table is not ideal for long stock as it's hard to set up
support, but I did up to 14"x44" hard maple panels on the old
version. On the new version I shifted the table toward the back more
where you need more help holding it. I have it set so that's close to
level at 3/4" from the drum, though that's out the window now that I
have to recover the top. It's not ideal for long stock, but really
excels the smaller type of things I mainly do and can be pressed into
handling the long stuff. It's as much a question of technique, as
trying to maintain a constant feed rate while you are switching your
hands around is difficult. If that was your primary use for it I
would say suck it up and buy a performax.

I am going to be putting up the plans for free, and offering a very
limited quantity of kits for sale. I have one extra 18" drum made,
and two 9" intended more for model makers. Back three years ago after
I went through it the first time and figured out how I should have
made it, I got excited and bought a bunch of materials and had 100 MDF
discs cnc'd. And then I thought about the liability issues. But I've
needed more width capacity, so I dusted it all off and figured I'd at
least make enough to use up most of the parts I had. I have been
sick the past few days so I haven't finished getting the website up,
but by the end of the week it should be up.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
LOL. Yeah well, that's about all we had in those days. A lot of
amazing drummers managed to pull off some pretty amazing tricks in their
Chevettes and Pintos :-)

My first pedal was a Squeak King.
Took me years to get over the bad technique that thing caused me to
develop. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
A few other posters mentioned that this setup would not work as a
thicknesser - I agree. I'm thinking that I could use the planer to get
stock to within a very close tolerance of the desired thickness and
then run it through the drum sander to clean up the mill marks left
from the planner (unless I've just changed the blades that day!)

The guy was using it as a planer/jointer and it was much faster.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
I don't use it much--I made my own table and the top is not absolutely
flat. In their design this is absolutely critical otherwise you get
snipe and uneven sanding. It may be worth getting their top due to this
issue.

I've got a bunch of melamine laminated particle board shelves laying
around from old office cabinets - they make really great shop
fixtures. Might be a good application - do you know how much material
you need on each side of the drum? (if you have the 18" drum, how wide
overall is your top?)

Kitchen countertop material is great for the same. I made a multi-purpose
station (miter saw, sander, 9" bandsaw, etc.) out of some old kit. cabs and
countertop I got from the local "freecycle". Two cabinets with countertop
with a recess between that is just the right depth for the miter saw.

Ed

Drum Sander ? HotRod Woodworking 3 October 24th 06 05:46 PM
Sanding floorboards - Drum Sander and or Edge Sander John UK diy 10 September 2nd 05 06:43 AM
Sanding floorboards - Drum Sander and or Edge Sander John UK diy 1 September 1st 05 07:08 PM
Making a drum sander, problem truing the drum Larry Bud Woodworking 13 February 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Shop Built Wide belt sander vs Shop Built Drum sander....Whats easyer to make. Im no engineer. mememme Woodworking 0 August 25th 03 03:01 PM