Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latest Jewelry Box

No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

Excellent work, and innovative thinking ... impressive!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

-Kevin

That is some cool work! Very impressive. It looks very similar to the
furniture work that emulates cartoon-world shapes. Very impressed with the
contrasting drawers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 2:46*pm, wrote:
No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. *The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. *There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

-Kevin

You've got an eye and a talent there, young man. G Again, exquisite.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

As usual, excellent work Kevin.

I just love the natural edge on the top. Nothing like a little bark to yell
natural wood work at you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

Very nice. I especially like the way the 3 woods work together.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

Norm played the rerun of his bentwood hatrack last week. I was thinking,
"This ain't so bad. Maybe I'll try one." And then he attacked some lathe
turned round pegs with a belt sander, "to give them the hand cut look", he
explained. This was after hand splitting and riving the stock from a green
log. It's clear that the man doesn't have a clue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 4:28 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:46 pm, wrote:

No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

-Kevin

You've got an eye and a talent there, young man. G Again, exquisite.

Thanks everyone!

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 5:06 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
wrote in message

No metal slides this time

http://www.krtwood.com/recent.html

Fitting the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think.
Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between
them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to
that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the
inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the
case fits.

Very nice. I especially like the way the 3 woods work together.

I like how that turned out. When the design itself has strong
elements I try to keep the wood simple. It's nice doing something
fancy that isn't all exotic and figured woods all over the place

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

Norm played the rerun of his bentwood hatrack last week. I was thinking,
"This ain't so bad. Maybe I'll try one." And then he attacked some lathe
turned round pegs with a belt sander, "to give them the hand cut look", he
explained. This was after hand splitting and riving the stock from a green
log. It's clear that the man doesn't have a clue.

Well Norm makes me scratch my head from time to time, but he's got
skills. He's never claimed to be anything he's not, and I doubt I'd
be where I am today without him. I bet if he got out of his antique
copying comfort zone he could surprise a few folks, and probably
himself.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

HOLY .....!

These boxes are outside and WAY outside "the box".

I really like the concavities in the top of the natural edge piece
functional and really interesting.

And the one using sample coopered doors - really nice - especially
the continuity of the grain on the drawer faces. What did you decide
for the drawer guides?

The bent ply piece is beautiful - the drawer floating - elegant.

Putting drawer pulls on highly figured maple is always difficult.
The pulls you came up with - and their staggering is a really
nice solution to a potential nightmare. The wavy edge near the
corner is a nice idea as well.

I'd like to include some of these images in the stuff I've put
together on How To Unlearn How To Not Be Creative. Would you
be willing to do a write up on how the ideas were converted to
reality - and done so well? You explained the coopered door
leftovers earlier but where the ideas for the others came from
would be great examples of thinking non-linearly.

NICE WORK!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" delivered high praise

[...]

There ya go Kevin. You got the CharlieB stamp of approval. That is high
praise indeed.

And Charlie. Your informed comments and support for one the wreck's
creative souls is much appreciated as well.

Good on both of ya.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee:

STAMP! I don't got no steenkin' stamp!
(see the orignal movie Treasures Of The Sierra Madre)

I know enough - just barely - to appreciate what Kevin
accomplished with "just" these "boxes" (and if he thinks
of these as boxes - I can only begin to imagine what his
furniture would look like, let alone how he'd make them).

Hell, as a Wood Horder (though an arborist/sawyer/furniture
maker friend calls us Wood Whores - we'll do almost anything
to acquire some really nice wood), I drool over the woods he
gets to play with - so well.

The web pages I'm doing on Unlearning How To NOT Be Creative
has some relatively primitive examples of ideas I've done - just
to illustrate approaches - all doable by anyone who slogs through
the examples.

What's lacking are examples of the "creative process" - taken to
their refined best.

I try and provide the "If this bozo can do it - then I sure as hell can
" motivation along withsome How To. Adding "And if you really get
good at being "creative" AND execute your ideas to their fullest
- HERE are examples of what CAN be done." gives me, and anyone else
who sees pieces like Keith has done - a goal to shoot for.

Concept AND Execution - both really good. Both in one piece - that's
rare.

As for Creative Souls - I think we're all creative souls. Some,
for many reasons, just aren't using much of what we were issued
- at birth. If I can encourage someone to use what they already
have - I'm a happy camper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 3:12 am, charlieb wrote:
HOLY .....!

These boxes are outside and WAY outside "the box".

I really like the concavities in the top of the natural edge piece
functional and really interesting.

And the one using sample coopered doors - really nice - especially
the continuity of the grain on the drawer faces. What did you decide
for the drawer guides?

You can get a look inside the drawers on my etsy site, though you
can't really see the slides. The top two drawers the runners are just
glued to the inside face of the carcass, with the edge beveled so they
are horizontal. The drawer boxes were made with the sides extra thick
and cut at matching angles to the carcass, then I dadoed them for the
slides using my tenoning jig that rides the rip fence on the TS. The
top drawer is in three sections to try to maximize the space because
of the curvature. It was done in a not so terribly elegant way
because I didn't have a 1/8" router bit to make proper stopped dadoes
for the bottoms.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=20341916

The bent ply piece is beautiful - the drawer floating - elegant.

Remember how you suggested having the slides attached to the drawer
rather than the carcass? Well, there you go.

Putting drawer pulls on highly figured maple is always difficult.
The pulls you came up with - and their staggering is a really
nice solution to a potential nightmare. The wavy edge near the
corner is a nice idea as well.

I had shown all but the top box before, and I talked a bit about those
decisions. The wavy edge, I had a slab that was intended by the guy
that cut it to be for a guitar top, so he cut it to fit his pattern
which ended up having about 1/3 natural edge and 2/3 straight cut.
When I went to try to fit a jewelry box under it, if I had cut it
where the natural edge started to get the full width it would not have
been long enough. If I cut it longer and ripped it down to remove the
natural edge it wouldn't have been wide enough. So I compromised
between the two. That decision created some asymmetry which gave me
license to do the drawer pulls in that staggered layout, which was
something I really agonized over. So that is really a case where I
did not plan any of the features that are the signatures of that
piece, but being open to one slightly oddball decision led to another.

I'd like to include some of these images in the stuff I've put
together on How To Unlearn How To Not Be Creative. Would you
be willing to do a write up on how the ideas were converted to
reality - and done so well? You explained the coopered door
leftovers earlier but where the ideas for the others came from
would be great examples of thinking non-linearly.

How bout I put up a page that you can link to?

Thanks for the kind words,

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 1:44 pm, charlieb wrote:
Lee:

STAMP! I don't got no steenkin' stamp!
(see the orignal movie Treasures Of The Sierra Madre)

I know enough - just barely - to appreciate what Kevin
accomplished with "just" these "boxes" (and if he thinks
of these as boxes - I can only begin to imagine what his
furniture would look like, let alone how he'd make them).

Someday... I have done a few larger pieces, nothing exciting. My shop
is set up for doing small pieces and that is where most of my
experience lies. I believe strongly you can get away with a lot of
stuff on the small scale that you can't with furniture. I think it
takes a much higher degree of refinement to get a really pleasing
piece of furniture.

Something I'd really like to try though is to do a frame and panel
construction where the frames are maple and the panels are mixed
random species. Just random width, random species out of say 3-4 that
are fairly similar in tone, and just glue up panels like that. Do a
whole set like that. Maybe even a kitchen. But alas I am basically
broke (or will be after I pay my taxes, sigh) so furniture for myself
is not something I think much about, much less a house.

Hell, as a Wood Horder (though an arborist/sawyer/furniture
maker friend calls us Wood Whores - we'll do almost anything
to acquire some really nice wood), I drool over the woods he
gets to play with - so well.

As I say, I am basically broke so no drooling required. Most of my
unique boards come from ebay. The big sets of cool boards that are
enough to make a table top out of end up way out of my price range,
but the little odd shaped ones I can often pick up for not too much.
Necessity being the mother of invention, I don't know what the heck I
am going to do with it when I buy it, but I know it's a cool board and
I can afford it, so I am just going to have to figure something out.
I have only a few of those type of boards at any one time. I have
this pair of oddball thin cherry slabs, sort of a rounded triangle
shape with curly figure all around the edge and a rotted area in the
middle. Haven't got a clue what to do with them. I got this fairly
long (for me) sweet gum slab with lots of character. Had no idea what
to do with it either. Yesterday I just started cutting the thing
where it looked like cuts had to go. Then the piece off the end, well
a few minutes later that was resawn into 3 pairs of bookmatched door
fronts. Now I just have to figure out how to fit a jewelry box under
the top I cut and around those drawer fronts.

The web pages I'm doing on Unlearning How To NOT Be Creative
has some relatively primitive examples of ideas I've done - just
to illustrate approaches - all doable by anyone who slogs through
the examples.

What's lacking are examples of the "creative process" - taken to
their refined best.

Yikes! I leave the refined best up to someone else, at least for
now. I am just making this stuff up as I go along. I've done bits of
woodworking for a good while, but really only got serious about it in
the past five years. For example the Progression box at the top, is
that fully refined? Could the curve of the legs be a better shape?
Really I just did a rough model of the top in sketchup, drew a line
down to establish a height, drew a couple offsets, drew a couple arcs,
and there's your leg. What if it was half an inch shorter? What if
it splayed out another 3/4 inch? I have really tried to not let
myself get bogged down and paralyzed by those questions and just go
with my first instinct, and I use up all my patience in the prep and
finishing stage, I don't have any more for the design part. And as I
say above, I think with furniture it becomes much more important to
get those fine details perfect, mainly because the constraints are
much greater. A table has got to be about a certain height, you've
got to be able to get your legs under it, etc. But I think it would
be a good exercise to go into sketchup and play with changing the
shape of those legs and just seeing what happens.

I try and provide the "If this bozo can do it - then I sure as hell can
" motivation along withsome How To. Adding "And if you really get
good at being "creative" AND execute your ideas to their fullest
- HERE are examples of what CAN be done." gives me, and anyone else
who sees pieces like Keith has done - a goal to shoot for.

Yep, I'm so good you already forgot my name

Concept AND Execution - both really good. Both in one piece - that's
rare.

As for Creative Souls - I think we're all creative souls. Some,
for many reasons, just aren't using much of what we were issued
- at birth. If I can encourage someone to use what they already
have - I'm a happy camper.

I think your next topic should be the end - how do you know when
you're done? The two most difficult things in woodworking - getting
started and getting finished. I know starting out I really had
problems being "done" as in okay, now I am going to apply the finish.
First when the finish goes on is when you see all the places you
screwed up magnified ten fold. But mainly that's the point where the
project stops having the potential of meeting your imagination and
becomes fixed into reality. And I think the only reason I got over
that is out of necessity, if you are making things to sell and you
never finish them you can't sell them, and if you don't sell them then
you can't buy more wood to make anything else. I think there's some
similarity between dealing with getting started and getting completed.

-Kevin