Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac in the Bathroom?

I have a cherry bathroom cabinet I am making to go abouve the toilet
to hold TP rolls and some cleaning supplies (no liquids though).
Normally I finish Cherry with Watco followed by Shellac. However, I'm
somewhat unsure about the shellac in the bathroom.

Now I know Shellac is the unusual charateristic of being about the
best vapor barrier, while not really liking direct contact with water.

The particular bathroom in question doesn't really steam up when I
take a shower, the mirrors are clear when I get out, even after a long
shower.....

What do you guys (and gals) think....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Having seen just how badly standing liquid water can damage a Shellac
finish, I wouls really shy away frim using it in kitchen or bathroom
where steam is around and where water can fly.I think even just a few
thin coats of some wipe on poly (the only way I like to use it) would
seal it and you can do that over your normal Shellac.

As I said, I would shy away. I wouldn't rule it out but would not
suggest.

On Mar 11, 9:32*am, wrote:
I have a cherry bathroom cabinet I am making to go abouve the toilet
to hold TP rolls and some cleaning supplies (no liquids though).
Normally I finish Cherry with Watco followed by Shellac. *However, I'm
somewhat unsure about the shellac in the bathroom.

Now I know Shellac is the unusual charateristic of being about the
best vapor barrier, while not really liking direct contact with water.

The particular bathroom in question doesn't really steam up when I
take a shower, the mirrors are clear when I get out, even after a long
shower.....

What do you guys (and gals) think....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:32:43 -0700, brian_j_roth wrote:

The particular bathroom in question doesn't really steam up when I take
a shower, the mirrors are clear when I get out, even after a long
shower.....

Doesn't sound to me like you'd have a problem, especially if you used
freshly made dewaxed shellac. But even if you do you can, as another
respondent said, just wipe on another coat.

Yet another use for shellac [email protected] Woodworking 2 March 12th 08 07:04 PM
Should I use Shellac? eclipsme Woodworking 17 July 23rd 06 09:21 PM
Shellac for Mac George Woodturning 1 January 22nd 06 04:40 PM
Shellac Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 November 22nd 05 11:50 PM
Oil over Shellac? Rich-in-WA Woodworking 1 December 18th 03 01:47 AM