Posted to rec.woodworking

Default did I destroy my impact driver?

I made the mistake of using my Makita 18-volt impact driver as and
impact wrench, trying to loosen a frozen nut, and I'm pretty sure I
damaged the it (the driver, not the nut, which I eventually removed
with a ratchet wrench, which is what i should have used in the first
place). Anyway, now the impact driver works, but there's some play in
the chuck where there wasn't any before. Have I destroyed it? Is it
repairable? Or is the repair likely to cost more than a new driver
Thanks....
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I made the mistake of using my Makita 18-volt impact driver as and
impact wrench, trying to loosen a frozen nut, and I'm pretty sure I
damaged the it (the driver, not the nut, which I eventually removed
with a ratchet wrench, which is what i should have used in the first
place). Anyway, now the impact driver works, but there's some play in
the chuck where there wasn't any before. Have I destroyed it? Is it
repairable? Or is the repair likely to cost more than a new driver
Thanks....

It should have not have broken, unless you just stood there watching it
hammer away until the batter ran down. Whether it spins or not does not
matter.

My Makita has play in the chuck, you can turn it a bit either way until you
feel more resistance in both directions. This is normal, what allows an
impact driver to work the way it does.

Have you tried using it? That would be the first test to see if you
destroyed it or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks--I checked it again, and think it's ok.

impact driver andrew UK diy 8 December 21st 08 10:50 PM
Impact driver. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 36 June 23rd 08 05:49 PM
Impact Driver update FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 June 15th 08 03:18 PM
Trend 12v Impact Driver Doctor Drivel UK diy 3 February 4th 08 01:11 AM
Miniature impact driver? steamer Metalworking 22 December 18th 05 04:03 AM