Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are There Any Galoots Still Around?

Just wondering.
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote,on my timestamp of 9/03/2009 4:10 PM:
Just wondering.

Yup. Present.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Noons makes ONE.

More still around here?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Noons makes ONE.

More still around here?

Count me as #two.

I actually have red Galoot cap No 39.

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Gorman wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message
Noons makes ONE.

More still around here?

Count me as #two.

I actually have red Galoot cap No 39.

I have old #7.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Insert inevitable trivial witticism of
your choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 1:10*am, charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

I'm not one yet but working on it.

just got this last night
http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...es-070810.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

Just wondering.

WIA in Berea provided a good answer to the question in general. If you
mean "around here" (rec), I have to ask what qualifies as a galoot.
Some people think they are a galoot if they use a chisel to square up
the corners of a routed mortise, while some think you need to process
felled timbers with a pit saw. I'm somewhere in between. g My
"galootness"

Stock prep: machine, followed by shooting board and hand planing for
precision work. (And some hand work to aid the machines, such as
cutting to rough length if too long for the table saw, or knocking off
high corners of twisted stock with a jack plane)

Joinery:
Edge gluing: power jointer followed by #8
M&T: mixed; hand for few "one-offs", machine for multiple.
DT: hand (or band saw for large DT in heavy stock)
Sliding DT, dado: machine

Final surfaces: hand-planing.

In general: Machines for heavy, rough, or sweat-inducing work, hand
tools for precision or fine work.

Caveat: As a hobbyist, I do what I WANT to do, not what makes sense
efficiency-wise. I suspect a pro would do many of the things I do
differently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

charlieb wrote:

[...]

And one other thing: I am NOT trying to figure out how to convert my
lathe to a spring-pole mechanism. Is that disqualifying? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"charlieb" wrote in message
Just wondering.

Mindset is there. just waiting for a little aging.

jc
(wondering what, exactly, the min age req. is)

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Whenever I fire up the barbecue (fueled with hardwood cutoffs, of
course) I always use plane shavings from my type 11 Baileys to get it
started.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 7:10*am, charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Very new to this.In my country (Israel),hand tools are hard to
find,actualy,next to impossible.Any good links to help me btw?
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

To clarify, galootness seems to be attitudinal and not
a function of TOP-AG (Time On Planet- Above Ground)

And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming
(the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim
have gone?

As for sources of hand tools - hopefully available to folks
in Isreal

Lee Valley (Canada)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/index.aspx?c=

Patrick Leech
http://www.supertool.com/

For the budding Galoots who haven't visited Jeff's website
GO HERE - NOW! ( THE role model for gentleman galoots)
http://www.amgron.clara.net/

I'm recalling a poem about Lord Nelson that has a line
the goes something like

Hang my drum
on the old sea wall
and should England need me
beat the drum
and I shall come
even from
the depths of the sea
where I now lay.

Boom! Boom! Boom!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"charlieb" wrote in message
To clarify, galootness seems to be attitudinal and not
a function of TOP-AG (Time On Planet- Above Ground)

Ah, well then, present and accounted for.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

Jums is back. He is jimmymac now. Probably hiding out as a member of
the Brazos River Band. He plays the organ or the flute. Can't remember
which.
:-)
j4

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote

For the budding Galoots who haven't visited Jeff's website
GO HERE - NOW! ( THE role model for gentleman galoots)
http://www.amgron.clara.net/

Thanks for the kind words and recommendation.

I ought to apologise and say that at present it is but a shadow of its
former self.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.uk
www.amgron.clara.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote
Ground)

And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming
(the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim
have gone?

And Steve LaMantia?

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.uk
www.amgron.clara.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:29:37 -0000, "Jeff Gorman"
wrote:

"charlieb" wrote
Ground)

And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming
(the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim
have gone?

And Steve LaMantia?

I had a correspondence with Steve in 2002 (still well after being MIA
here). He had moved to the Orlando, FL, area and was working with his
cousin's rock band. He had run across my website (the woodbutcher one)
and kindly remembered me from his wreck days.

No idea if he's still there (here--the place he mentioned is less than
50 miles from my house).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Just wondering.

Does this guy count?...

This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his backyard.
He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws.

The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save
yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of- the-line model.
This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."

So, the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After
cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He
thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours
and only cut two cords?" the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in
the morning and cut all day," the man tells himself.

So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 am in the morning and cuts and
cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and still he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one
hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the
dealer," the man says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the
problem. The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from
the case. The dealer says, "Hmm, it looks fine."

Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds, "What's that
noise?

I couldn't resist....

Robert "New-to-Wreck"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"New chip of old block" wrote in message

"charlieb" wrote in message
Just wondering.

Does this guy count?...

This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his
backyard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws.

I couldn't resist....

Robert "New-to-Wreck"

Welcome, Robert. The joke was awful, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

New chip of old block wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message
Just wondering.

Does this guy count?...

This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his backyard.
He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws.
[snip]

I couldn't resist....

Robert "New-to-Wreck"

Why are all the Roberts in this group kinda weird?

Oh and welcome Robert...

mahalo,
jo4hn the space king...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 12:32*pm, charlieb wrote:
To clarify, galootness seems to be attitudinal and not
a function of TOP-AG (Time On Planet- Above Ground)

And speaking of O'Deen/Paddy, wonder where Dave Fleming
(the Nautical), or Conan The Librarian, or Jummywood Jim
have gone?

Charlie - Jummy is still around, just not posting a lot. He's popped
up a few times lately(hint - he's found something new. Redwood!)

Norm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 9, 12:32*pm, charlieb wrote:
I'm recalling a poem about Lord Nelson that has a line
the goes something like

Hang my drum
on the old sea wall
and should England need me
beat the drum
and I shall come
even from
the depths of the sea
where I now lay.

Boom! * Boom! * Boom!

Not aware of the Nelson poem, but there was a similar one about Drake,
some of the lines of which a

Take my drum to England
Hang it by the shore
Strike it when your powder's running low
And if the Dons sight Devon
We'll quit the port of Heaven
And drum 'em up the Channel as we drummed 'em long ago

Drake he was a Devon man
He sailed the Seven Seas
Captain, art thou sleepin' there below....

...... as recalled from many hours spent in a New York pub named
Drake's Drum, about 40 years ago. Yes, I know I could Google it, but
I'll leave that to you. Goosing the memory cells is my way of
arresting the slide into senility.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:02:26 -0700, the infamous jo4hn
scrawled the following:

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen
names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

Looks like you have been sitting up and taking nourishment on a
regular basis.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

Welcome back Larry. How's that bow saw coming? [just kidding].

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

good to C you.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:02:26 -0700, the infamous jo4hn
scrawled the following:

Hey! I recall a poster from the past that uses the same name as you. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:15:58 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen
names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

Looks like you have been sitting up and taking nourishment on a
regular basis.

Nah, the server only had a year's worth on it. Otherwise I'd be really
inundated by the number of posts.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:26:35 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
scrawled the following:

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.
Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

Welcome back Larry. How's that bow saw coming? [just kidding].

Thanks, Mark. I think I got so much crap about the bow saw that I
never did end up making it. I think I have some of the prototype pics
around somewhere. Want me to scare one up for ya, for old time's sake?

Jeeze, I just get back and...

While I was gone, I started a handyman service. Even if I'm not doing
fine woodworking, I'm doing _woodworking_ again.

P.S: the 421 hours the punk kid spent making an entertainment center
stand was really out there. I don't think I could have wasted more
than 100 hours on that thing, and that includes sanding the whole
thing with a lady's Diamond Deb fingernail file. It was purty, but
the kid did himself a disservice telling the time wasted on it. His
potential clients will ask "How much do you charge per hour?" and "How
many hours do you think this project will take?" and he'll be out of
business before he starts. =:0

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:53:39 -0400, the infamous Tom Watson
scrawled the following:

good to C you.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

What, the venerable TW is still aliv^H^H^Hround? Good to text ya,
sir.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:05:47 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:02:26 -0700, the infamous jo4hn
scrawled the following:

Hey! I recall a poster from the past that uses the same name as you. ;~)

How do, Leon, mon?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Wow. You've set a record (~7.5 months) for tardiest response to one of
my posts. Maybe I'll check rec.bimbo to see if, at long last, any body
has responded...

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

LARRY, It's good to see you back. Maybe you'll start a trend.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

Welcome back Larry. How's that bow saw coming? [just kidding].

.... the spokeshave? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

After 11,644 tries, he finally logged on the net, dialup, via a party
line.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

charlieb wrote:
Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Wow, C-less. Good to 'c' you around again.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:20:23 -0400, the infamous Nova
scrawled the following:

charlieb wrote:

Just wondering.

Used to see a car with the license plate "galoot" around JPL in the old
days of gainful employment. Paddy, was that you?

Personally, I've been a wRECker for 10 or 15 years and do use hand tools
a bit now and again. Guess I am a neandernorm.
creeeeeeaaaaakkk,

Ditto here. I've been away for a long while, pestering the Wreck
Metalheads instead of youse guys. I'm happy to see half a dozen names
that I recognize.

OK, only 16,387 more posts to catch up.

P.S: I can't live without my #65-1/2 (w/ Hock iron) and my #4-1/2.
I've recently been using the 4-1/2's iron as a mini slick. (James
Swan, eat your heart out!)

Welcome back Larry. How's that bow saw coming? [just kidding].

... the spokeshave? ;-)

Aw, that purkleheartless spokie was done long before I left, Yack.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.