Brian Elfert

Default Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Brian Elfert
Frank Ketchum

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Man that sucks. I hate to see changes coming like this since I really like
Delta and Porter Cable products. On the positive side, they may be able to
offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
margin for themselves with oversees production.

Frank

Rumpty

On the positive side, they may be able to
offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
margin for themselves with oversees production.

Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines,
they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a
smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

--

Rumpty

Wes Stewart

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:38:06 -0500, "Rumpty"
wrote:

|On the positive side, they may be able to
|offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
|margin for themselves with oversees production.
|
|Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines,
|they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a
|smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

Maybe the employees should consider buying the company themselves.
They get to keep their jobs and it might even increase their market
share.

SteveC1280

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:
Does this mean there may be more Indians than Chiefs? Unbelieveable.

Nah. Never happen.

Major League Baseball mandates a smaller team roster than what the NFL allows.

*guffaw*

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:03:50 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
wrote:

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
om...
emove (SteveC1280) writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

Frank

Brian Elfert

"Frank Ketchum" writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

I don't like all the manufacturing jobs going overseas, but it is
happening. I try to buy USA made where possible but some stuff is almost
impossible to find made in the USA. I can't always afford to spend a day
or two trying to find an item made in the USA.

In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA.
Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the
servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will
be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.

I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server
administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.

Brian Elfert

Jim Bailey

Brian, as a professional programmer I will echo your sentiments. Things
I've made my living on the past 25 years are now being done in India. If
you'd have told me back then that I was making a bad career choice, I'd have
ask you what planet you're from.

Back on topic - I like Wes's idea a few posts back. Isn't there at least a
couple of employee owned airlines that are doing pretty well? Why not a
tool company ?

jim bailey

"Frank Ketchum" writes:

In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA.
Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the
servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will
be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.

I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server
administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.

Brian Elfert

Everett M. Greene

Brian Elfert writes:
"Frank Ketchum" writes:

[...]

There's no doubt that capitalism and international trade are
great economic levellers. However, the level may well be
quite low if nobody can afford to buy the products that are
being produced (cheaply).
Ron Magen

Can you say, "Do you want fries with that ?"

Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
link.net...

SNIP
Do we really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing
anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

Frank

Bridger

On 04 Feb 2004 15:24:02 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Bridger
Brian Elfert

Bridger writes:

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Yes, sir, we can get your car tuned up in India for only $5. The bad news
is that shipping will be $600 and your car will be gone for five weeks.

I doubt anyone is sending a handsaw to Japan for sharpening to save money.
Wages there are as just as high as here. The Japanese can probably do a
better job and shipping a hand saw is pretty darn cheap compared to a car.

Brian Ekfert
Bridger

On 04 Feb 2004 17:42:54 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Bridger writes:

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Yes, sir, we can get your car tuned up in India for only $5. The bad news
is that shipping will be $600 and your car will be gone for five weeks.

I doubt anyone is sending a handsaw to Japan for sharpening to save money.
Wages there are as just as high as here. The Japanese can probably do a
better job and shipping a hand saw is pretty darn cheap compared to a car.

Brian Ekfert

yeah, but for the tune up all we have to ship are the engine and
brakes. the rest gets parked in a container somewhere....

Mike

Brian:

In the wonderful world of corporate greed, some mba asshole accountant type
will figure out it is cheaper to fly some guy over from India to fix your
car or truck. The first step in the right direction is one term limits for
congress and outlawing special interest groups from lobbying.

Mike
emove (SteveC1280) writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

Mark and Kim Smith

Brian Elfert wrote:

snip

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

I must be heading in the right direction then. I am an auto AND truck
mechanic!

Lawrence A. Ramsey

If Bush REALLY wanted to help the economy, he would ONLY give us a tax
cut when we submit PROOF that we bought that much in American Made
products. Not "assembled" but MADE in the USA.
That would help. I have been looking for a job for almost a year. I am
a college graduate and am having to compete with people who have
written grants and published for $22,000 a year jobs. When they show
up (rarely). That's a "good" economy? Of course, this is Arkansas.

On 04 Feb 2004 14:41:04 GMT, emove (SteveC1280)
wrote:

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Walker

Default Shipping job oversears & bringing workers here??

If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

wrote:

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walker" wrote in message
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up

the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
do?

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:27:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Walker" wrote in message
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up

the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
do?

hate to burst your bubble here BUT they are and have been over the
past few years taking jobs from plummers, electritions, framers, trim
people, hardware installers, firemen, policemen, tile setters,
flooring installers, ect. ect. ect..........all forms of construction
are being performed by illegals and our manufacturing and textile jobs
are being moved overseas because of our gov. doing away with tariffs
and greedy execs seeing larger profit margins for themselves. oh BTW
lets not forget all the HIGH TECK jobs leaving for dirt cheep wages
too! sorry but they aint just mowing lawns and picking crops anymore.
skeez

Wes Stewart

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:27:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
pushed a hot button:

|What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
|do?

Nothing personal Ed but...

Your's is the tired argument that wetbacks and other criminal
immigrants are only taking the jobs that Americans won't take. Nooo,
they are taking the jobs that Americans won't take at the depressed
wages that the illegals will work for.

Curiously, somehow in the past all of this work got done without this
"cheap" labor.

Furthermore, if the *total* economic picture is looked at, this cheap
labor isn't so cheap. For example, let's say that the local Mexican
restaurant hires some illegals as dishwashers and busboys (try and
find one that doesn't).

Since these employees are "off the books" and can't complain, they are
paid a depressed wage. (They also have no standards of cleanliness or
personal hygiene, but that's another story.)

So because "Juan" instead of John, the American teenager, is in the
kitchen doing dishes, my plate of tacos costs me a little less. But
does it really?

To get to his job, Juan buys a beater of an automobile but he doesn't
bother to get a driver's license or insurance. To protect myself
against loss in case Juan crashes into my car I am required to buy
uninsured-motorist insurance. Neither Juan nor the owner of the
restaurant helps me out with the premiums. My tacos just got a little
pricier.

Now that he's established, Juan decides to smuggle his pregnant wife
to the US. She crosses the border with eighteen other people in the
back of a pickup truck. The Border Patrol stumbles upon them and
tries to stop the truck. The driver flees only to overturn and
scatter his passengers over the countryside. Four people are killed
and many others are seriously injured. The Border Patrol requests
three medivac helicopters and six ambulances to the scene.

(I am not making this up; it happens frequently in Southern Arizona)

The victims are taken to the one remaining trauma center for care.
The other two trauma centers in this community of a million people
have all been closed because of the costs of treating illegal aliens
drove them out of business. The Border Patrol doesn't arrest any of
illegals until after they have been released from medical care (if
even then). This is well-publicized policy on their part. This is
because if they make the arrests before medical care is given, the
federal government must pay for it. In this, and every other case,
the local taxpayers pay the costs. Add some more hidden cost to the
price of tacos.

(I am not making this up either)

Now while Juan's wife Maria, is in the hospital, little Nino Jesus is
born. It was a difficult pregnancy; Jesus arrives prematurely and
requires a couple of months of intensive care. No problem, the local
taxpayers pick up the tab. Jesus is automatically an American citizen
and thus is due the largess the welfare state can provide. (Actually,
Jesus doesn't have to be a citizen to get these goodies).

Now that Juan and Maria are the parents of an American citizen they
get to hang around and get aid to dependent children, free medical
care (free to them anyway, my tacos just got even more expensive) and
subsidized housing. They will lots of support from "activist" groups
that hand-wring over their "rights."

When little Jesus goes to school he will be furnished special
education and English as a Second (!) Language classes since his
parents, unlike all of the other immigrants to this country before
them, decided that they don't really need to learn English to get by
and speak nothing but Spanish to Jesus.

When Jesus is old enough to vote, he will be provided a ballot in
Spanish and can elect a Hispanic congressman. This will be easy
because the courts have dictated that there should be a "minority
majority" congressional district, created to insure that minority
votes are not "diluted." (Regrettably, I'm not making this up
either.)

Never mind that Non-Hispanic votes (one of them mine) are diluted by
this practice. Besides, they are working two jobs trying to keep up
with their property tax bills and shouldn't be taking off work to vote
anyway.

All of this for a plate of "cheap" tacos.

ps. Before I'm labeled as a xenophobic, culturally insensitive bigot,
I must confess that I was married to an American-born Hispanic woman
for 16 years.

CW

Some of it is that, and that's fine. But that's only the part of the story
they want to tell you. I know a number of carpenters around here that are
having a very hard time even considering the amount of building they are
doing (considerable). Reason for that is that contractors are hiring
Mexicans. If they are illegal, that's better as far as they are concerned
since they don't dare complain about low pay, lack of benifits and no
overtime pay.
Of course, workmanship is going to crap along with that but who cares. The
contractors are making money.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
do?

Unisaw A100

Walker wrote:
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I know this one!

PURPLE!!!

UA100
Charlie Self

UA100 responds:

Walker wrote:
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I know this one!

PURPLE!!!

Wrong! Three chimes.

Charlie Self
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other
way." Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Greg Layton

wrote:

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

A better solution would be the Sales Tax only system.. Then you could
choose how to pay your taxes, or not to. I have been involved in the
creation of many "off-shore" positions (I.T.) to Montreal. The main
reason my company did it was that Wall Street expects it to happen now
or the company doesn't look like they are in control of their labor
costs. It has nothing to do with legalizing foreign labor. It has
everything to do with stock price. I guess pretty soon, I'll be going
over the wall to Mexico looking for a job.

Greg
Mike

"Walker" wrote in message
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up

the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

Because the politicians need the votes but more importantly, to expand the

tax base because we are not keeping up with population growth enough to keep
up with government spending!!

Stan kirby

That should be simple. To make more of us higher paid workers out of
touch with employers. If your not seeing this your not seeing to good
are you?

If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he

opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?
Leon

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax
burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Brian Elfert

"Leon" writes:

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax
burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Even if there is a tax burden, Korean built cars are still less expensive
than USA built cars, at least on the low end.

Brian Elfert

Leon

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if people are forced to
choose one product over another, they will resent it. Build a better
product at a competitive price and you will not need the government to
heavily tax items that we want to buy.

"Leon" writes:

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy

tax
burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Even if there is a tax burden, Korean built cars are still less expensive
than USA built cars, at least on the low end.

Brian Elfert

Joseph Smith

Maybe the best thing for government to do is stay out of
business all together.
Politicians are already screaming for a raise of minimum wage to over
$7.00/hr. For what christsakes!? Because some lame idiot was too busy
smoking dope and beating the other kids for lunch money to stay in
school to be educated!? So now he has to live of min. wage or welfare?
Then taxes are raised which drives up the costs of businesses or wages are
forced to be increased for the guy who sweeps the floor, takes out the
trash,
etc... and the overhead for businesses go up. Government (legislative and
judicial)
always screws things up because they are all a bunch of lawyers instead of
business men.
Bill Gates produces a better more users friendly product and everyone
sues him because he's got a "monopoly". No they sue him because he's
got money and it is politically correct to demonize him.
A guy invents a better way to copy papers. Nobody likes his idea and
tells him to hit the road (i.e. Eastman Kodak). So what does he do? He
hocks
everything he has to start a garage business to produce machines that use
the process of xerography ( 99.999% of all copiers, faxes, laser printers
today use this process)
and XEROX is born and becomes big and successful. So then all those
companies
that rejected him end up filing a law suit against XEROX and win to get a
release on his patent and boom the Japanese kills us on the world market
with
copier and printer technology.
Sue the Tobacco companies because people are too stupid to read the labels
and too stupid to be responsible for their own actions. Demonize them
because they
are successful, and get a court order to steal their money. Another
successful
business on its way down.
No if any politician really wants to support the economy, then get
government
the hell out and let businessman do their jobs. Create successful companies
that produce our jobs. So we can produce products that are both good
quality
at a good price.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

BIG JOE

Don't forget the USA 14" Bandsaw. I was thinking of eventually
selling my Jet and buying that one, since they take the same blades
and my Jet has broken down and doesn't seem as well built.

Joe

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Brian Elfert

Dusty Workshop

I just read about this too.
Check out these links to see the full story...

and...

http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/inde...04-000662-0923

I am curious to see what develops from here.

Dusty

"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle." unknown