DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/27292-pentair-sell-tool-division-delta-porter-cable.html)

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 12:48 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Brian Elfert

Frank Ketchum February 4th 04 01:21 PM

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw production
overseas to increase margins.

Man that sucks. I hate to see changes coming like this since I really like
Delta and Porter Cable products. On the positive side, they may be able to
offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
margin for themselves with oversees production.

Frank

Rumpty February 4th 04 01:38 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

On the positive side, they may be able to
offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
margin for themselves with oversees production.

Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines,
they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a
smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

--

Rumpty

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº February 4th 04 02:05 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
link.net...

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Pentair has hired Goldman Sachs to sell its tool division. Brand names
include Delta, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss Air Power, and Oldham Saw.

Pentair is selling because the tool divison only generates 10% margins

vs
13% for their water systems.

I'll bet this will be the last gasp for Made in the USA Delta and
Porter-Cable products. A new buyer would probably move Unisaw

production
overseas to increase margins.

Man that sucks. I hate to see changes coming like this since I really

like
Delta and Porter Cable products. On the positive side, they may be able

offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
margin for themselves with oversees production.

Frank

Pigs might fly

Jon~

SteveC1280 February 4th 04 02:41 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 03:24 PM

emove (SteveC1280) writes:

More jobs heading over seas. I'd like to see one of these presidential
candidates push for a buy American movement.

Pentair doesn't even have a buyer yet. We don't know that any buyer will
move jobs overseas.

Yes, it is likely that production will move overseas. If production of
the Unisaw is moved overseas, there will no longer be any reason to buy
the Unisaw. The Jet is already less expensive and the quality is nearly
equal to the Unisaw.

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

Wes Stewart February 4th 04 04:03 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:38:06 -0500, "Rumpty"
wrote:

|On the positive side, they may be able to
|offer the same quality of tools at a lower price and still get a better
|margin for themselves with oversees production.
|
|Ya true and the hell with the folks working the Delta PC production lines,
|they never bought what you had to sell anyway. (I really should throw in a
|smiley face with my comment, but this is all too serious.)

Maybe the employees should consider buying the company themselves.
They get to keep their jobs and it might even increase their market
share.

Frank Ketchum February 4th 04 04:03 PM

emove (SteveC1280) writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

Frank

Lawrence A. Ramsey February 4th 04 04:31 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

If Bush REALLY wanted to help the economy, he would ONLY give us a tax
cut when we submit PROOF that we bought that much in American Made
products. Not "assembled" but MADE in the USA.
That would help. I have been looking for a job for almost a year. I am
a college graduate and am having to compete with people who have
written grants and published for $22,000 a year jobs. When they show
up (rarely). That's a "good" economy? Of course, this is Arkansas.

Lawrence A. Ramsey February 4th 04 04:33 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Does this mean there may be more Indians than Chiefs? Unbelieveable.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:03:50 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
wrote:

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
m...

Leon February 4th 04 04:41 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax
burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 04:43 PM

"Frank Ketchum" writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

I don't like all the manufacturing jobs going overseas, but it is
happening. I try to buy USA made where possible but some stuff is almost
impossible to find made in the USA. I can't always afford to spend a day
or two trying to find an item made in the USA.

In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA.
Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the
servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will
be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.

I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server
administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 04:54 PM

"Leon" writes:

I believe that has already happened... Import automobiles have a heavy tax
burden that brings the prices more in line with the American built cars.

Even if there is a tax burden, Korean built cars are still less expensive
than USA built cars, at least on the low end.

Brian Elfert

Bridger February 4th 04 05:32 PM

On 04 Feb 2004 15:24:02 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Brian Elfert

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Bridger

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 05:42 PM

Bridger writes:

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Yes, sir, we can get your car tuned up in India for only $5. The bad news
is that shipping will be $600 and your car will be gone for five weeks.

I doubt anyone is sending a handsaw to Japan for sharpening to save money.
Wages there are as just as high as here. The Japanese can probably do a
better job and shipping a hand saw is pretty darn cheap compared to a car.

Brian Ekfert

Bridger February 4th 04 06:07 PM

On 04 Feb 2004 17:42:54 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Bridger writes:

hell, if they're sending handsaws to japan to be sharpened,(apparently
'cause us 'murricanz is too dumb to do it) sending your car to
singapore for a tune up can't be far off.

Yes, sir, we can get your car tuned up in India for only $5. The bad news
is that shipping will be $600 and your car will be gone for five weeks.

I doubt anyone is sending a handsaw to Japan for sharpening to save money.
Wages there are as just as high as here. The Japanese can probably do a
better job and shipping a hand saw is pretty darn cheap compared to a car.

Brian Ekfert

yeah, but for the tune up all we have to ship are the engine and
brakes. the rest gets parked in a container somewhere....

BIG JOE February 4th 04 06:32 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Don't forget the USA 14" Bandsaw. I was thinking of eventually
selling my Jet and buying that one, since they take the same blades
and my Jet has broken down and doesn't seem as well built.

Joe

Leon February 4th 04 06:55 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if people are forced to
choose one product over another, they will resent it. Build a better
product at a competitive price and you will not need the government to
heavily tax items that we want to buy.

Walker February 4th 04 07:22 PM

Shipping job oversears & bringing workers here??

If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

Edwin Pawlowski February 4th 04 07:27 PM

"Walker" wrote in message
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up

the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
do?

Jim Bailey February 4th 04 07:54 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Brian, as a professional programmer I will echo your sentiments. Things
I've made my living on the past 25 years are now being done in India. If
you'd have told me back then that I was making a bad career choice, I'd have
ask you what planet you're from.

Back on topic - I like Wes's idea a few posts back. Isn't there at least a
couple of employee owned airlines that are doing pretty well? Why not a
tool company ?

jim bailey

[email protected] February 4th 04 08:14 PM

Shipping job oversears & bringing workers here??

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:27:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Walker" wrote in message
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up

the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left?

What jobs? Picking crops, mowing lawns that most of us here don't want to
do?

hate to burst your bubble here BUT they are and have been over the
past few years taking jobs from plummers, electritions, framers, trim
people, hardware installers, firemen, policemen, tile setters,
flooring installers, ect. ect. ect..........all forms of construction
are being performed by illegals and our manufacturing and textile jobs
are being moved overseas because of our gov. doing away with tariffs
and greedy execs seeing larger profit margins for themselves. oh BTW
lets not forget all the HIGH TECK jobs leaving for dirt cheep wages
too! sorry but they aint just mowing lawns and picking crops anymore.
skeez

[email protected] February 4th 04 08:19 PM

emove (SteveC1280) writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

Frank

they wont worry bout it till its thier jobs that are lost and they
have to downsize that great big high dollar house they bought. does
anyone realy think they will be able to afford to live here in the
style they have become accustomed to on the wages that are paid for
services????? i think not.

skeez

[email protected] February 4th 04 08:24 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

"Frank Ketchum" writes:

In another decade or so, we won't have any IT jobs left in the USA.
Everything will be farmed out to India. With the Internet, all the
servers will get moved to India. The only computers left in the USA will
be desktops that are maintained by a very small workforce.

I fully expect to be out of a job in 5 to 10 years as server
administration gets farmed out overseas to save money.

Brian Elfert

i will second that! i am not in the IT feild. I am in construction so
its different. my job is not going overseas but all the imigrants are
taking the construction jobs now because they are willing to work
cheap. wages are dropping because of this but the cost of living is
not dropping is it? i dont pretend to have the answers but at this
rate WE will be the poor country and the poor countries will be the
rich ones. think about it.

skeez

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 08:43 PM

" writes:

i will second that! i am not in the IT feild. I am in construction so
its different. my job is not going overseas but all the imigrants are
taking the construction jobs now because they are willing to work
cheap. wages are dropping because of this but the cost of living is

Some immigrants do great work, but some of them produce crap. My friend
owns a house in Atlanta built mostly by immigrants. It is the shoddiest
work you have ever seen. Almost everything has been redone at least once.
My friend has spent 10s of thousands on repairs to a new house. Last I
heard, the stucco was being replaced because no expansion joints were
used.

I worked with a group of Hmong cutting grass in the 80s. They expended
more effort figuring out how not to do work than actually working.
Luckily, it was a drought year and there wasn't any grass to cut.

Brian Elfert

Dusty Workshop February 4th 04 09:05 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

I just read about this too.
Check out these links to see the full story...

and...

http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/inde...04-000662-0923

I am curious to see what develops from here.

Dusty

"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle." unknown

[email protected] February 4th 04 09:07 PM

On 04 Feb 2004 20:43:44 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

" writes:

[...]

yeh BUT for the most part contractors today arent realy interested in
quality. the main concern seems to be how fast can you do it and how
much is it gonna cost? when 5 illegals can go in and knock it out in 1
1/2 - 2 hours and it will take me most of a day to do it right by
myself and they cut my prices by 40% chances are they will get the
work. the prospective home buyer wont see all the crap because he or
she wont know what to look for so quality doesnt count. its a sad
state of affairs but that seems to be the way the industry is going.

skeez

Edwin Pawlowski February 4th 04 09:31 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

Some immigrants do great work, but some of them produce crap. My friend
owns a house in Atlanta built mostly by immigrants. It is the shoddiest
work you have ever seen.
Brian Elfert

Your family makes crap? Unless you are an American Indian, your forefathers
were immigrants.

The head of our space program that put a man on the moon is an immigrant.
More examples available if needed.
Ed

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 09:37 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

Some immigrants do great work, but some of them produce crap. My friend
owns a house in Atlanta built mostly by immigrants. It is the shoddiest
work you have ever seen.
Brian Elfert

Your family makes crap? Unless you are an American Indian, your forefathers
were immigrants.

I think everyone knows what I meant. I guess I should have said illegal
immigrants or recent immigrants.

Brian Elfert

RB February 4th 04 09:43 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

It seems to me that we in the US are getting very close to being a
colony of Asia. Or are we already?

RB

Brian Elfert February 4th 04 10:28 PM

RB writes:

It seems to me that we in the US are getting very close to being a
colony of Asia. Or are we already?

I'm positive the value of everything manufactured in the USA far, far
exceeds the value of everything manufactured in Asia that is imported.

It just seems like everything is being made in Asia because so many
household goods are made there. You and I don't see the made in the USA
labels on lots of things because they are buried inside other things we
buy.

There isn't a made in the USA label on a Boeing jet, yet they are made
right here in the USA.

Brian Elfert

BruceR February 4th 04 10:34 PM

Brian Elfert wrote:
RB writes:

It seems to me that we in the US are getting very close to being a
colony of Asia. Or are we already?

I'm positive the value of everything manufactured in the USA far, far
exceeds the value of everything manufactured in Asia that is imported.

It just seems like everything is being made in Asia because so many
household goods are made there. You and I don't see the made in the USA
labels on lots of things because they are buried inside other things we
buy.

There isn't a made in the USA label on a Boeing jet, yet they are made
right here in the USA.

I thought they had large sections of fuselage sub contracted out to China?

-Bruce

Brian Elfert

George February 4th 04 10:39 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

So were theirs. Purely a case of date.

Scott Lurndal February 4th 04 10:40 PM

BruceR writes:
Brian Elfert wrote:
RB writes:

It seems to me that we in the US are getting very close to being a
colony of Asia. Or are we already?

I'm positive the value of everything manufactured in the USA far, far
exceeds the value of everything manufactured in Asia that is imported.

It just seems like everything is being made in Asia because so many
household goods are made there. You and I don't see the made in the USA
labels on lots of things because they are buried inside other things we
buy.

There isn't a made in the USA label on a Boeing jet, yet they are made
right here in the USA.

I thought they had large sections of fuselage sub contracted out to China?

Assembled in America. Something better than 50% of the 777 and
probably more like 65% of the 7E7 are/will be built by foreign
contractors (Japan and Europe being the largest).

scott

George February 4th 04 10:45 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

Not so sure about other employee-owned outfits, but I do know that the state
employee unions and our teachers' union members would rather see their
"brothers" laid off than forego their raises in a time of tight money.

What was it the beggar said to Tev'e in Fiddler on the roof, when given one
kopeck?
"One kopeck, last week you gave me two kopecks."

"I had a bad week."

"Because you had a bad week, I should suffer?"

Unisaw A100 February 4th 04 11:04 PM

Brian Elfert wrote:
I think everyone knows what I meant. I guess I should have said illegal
immigrants or recent immigrants.

Well Hell then, why not jump to the chase and just say
spics, greasers, or wetbacks? "Then" we'd all know
what it is "you" meant.

UA100

Unisaw A100 February 4th 04 11:05 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

I'm wondering, Nahmie sponsored by Jet?

UA100

Unisaw A100 February 4th 04 11:10 PM

Walker wrote:
If Bush doesn't care about keeping jobs in America, why is he opening up the
gates so foreigners can take the jobs we have left

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I know this one!

PURPLE!!!

UA100

Larry Blanchard February 4th 04 11:31 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

In article .net,
says...

emove (SteveC1280) writes:

We all need to become auto or truck mechanics. They can't exactly send a
car or truck to India for repair. They can fly airplanes overseas for
overhaul, so don't become an airplane mechanic.

Electricians and plumbers are doing OK :-).

Even though manufacturing is leaving this country at an alarming rate, some
say not to worry since the services sector is growing so fast. The
implication is that the GDP can remain at the same level even though more
and more manufacturing is lost. This kind of thinking troubles me. Do we
really want to be a country that is incapable of manufacturing anything?
Just how much potential is there in the services sector?

That's not the problem. The problem is our growing dependency on the
rest of the world. It's hard to stay independent when your
tank/jeep/halftrack/etc engines are all made elsewhere, just to pick an
example.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard February 4th 04 11:33 PM

Pentair to sell tool division: Delta, Porter-Cable

In article ,
says...

BUY MADE IN USA!

HOW?