Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hello all, my name is Rob. I stained some cherry.

A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3
of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16"
ball-nose bit. 4 hours of machine time. But that's the fun part, I
built a vanity while it was doing that.
I put a PolyShade on it, to give a bit of pop. I liked the natural
cherry better, but you couldn't see any detail that way.
I was pleasantly surprised with the test result. Learned a lot.
The total piece is 6" x 46"

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...restDetail.jpg

I bought the file. There is also a logging train one that I might try
some day. Then I will learn to create my own 3D images like that from
grey-scale high-rez pictures.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hello all, my name is George Washington. I stained some cherry.

..in an adolescent episode and had to get rid of the evidence

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:35:08 +0000, Robatoy wrote
(in article
):

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=ForestDet

ail.jpg

sure is purty... are there any undercuts on that or is it al straight xyz
movement (I think you know what I mean)?

hmmm.. Undercuts. Thinking ball-end or keyhole bits to avoid yaw/pitch/roll
but that would probably be better as a hand-job, so to speak... sorry, just
ruminating. Lovely job, that there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:35:08 +0000, Robatoy wrote
(in article
):

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=ForestDet

ail.jpg

sure is purty... are there any undercuts on that or is it al straight xyz
movement (I think you know what I mean)? I read ball as _bull_nose, which set
me thinking about depth of relief.

hmmm.. Undercuts. Thinking wider ball-end or keyhole bits to avoid
yaw/pitch/roll but that would probably be better as a hand-job, so to
speak... sorry, just ruminating. Lovely job, that there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3
of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16"
ball-nose bit. 4 hours of machine time. But that's the fun part, I
built a vanity while it was doing that.
I put a PolyShade on it, to give a bit of pop. I liked the natural
cherry better, but you couldn't see any detail that way.
I was pleasantly surprised with the test result. Learned a lot.
The total piece is 6" x 46"

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...restDetail.jpg

I bought the file. There is also a logging train one that I might try
some day. Then I will learn to create my own 3D images like that from
grey-scale high-rez pictures.

You could have painted it ...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
Tim Daneliuk * *
PGP Key: * * * *http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Once you paint cherry, it is a slippery slope. Padauk, bird's eyed
maple and swiss pear are next...then rehab. No thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyone who stains Cherry should be hung by his thumbs.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3
of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16"
ball-nose bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

C',mon, you've never sprayed flat black on some Zebrawood and finished
it with a nice coat of Nitrocellulose? 'Fess up...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ulysses" wrote:

Anyone who stains Cherry should be hung by his thumbs.

While I generally agree, I'd like to show an "almost stained" cherry project. My
middle daughter's birthday is today and SWMBO and I built this vanity stool for
her:

http://douglasjohnson.org/pictures/Vanity%20Stool.jpg

SWMBO did the upholstery. I did the frame. The finish on the frame starts with
a wash coat of dark garnet shellac, followed by three coats of the Sam Maloof
oil finish (equal parts, tung oil, BLO, and poly). The oil was heavily tinted
with Trans-Tint Red Mahogany.

The target is a match to a factory made cherry bedroom suite they own. Of
course, the cherry will darken with time, so I needed to guess what it would
look like in a year or so.

The cross pieces are mortised into the legs and each other. I pinned the leg
joints with 1/4" cherry dowel. There is a swivel from Woodcraft between the set
and frame:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=1065

SWMBO gave me a lathe Christmas before last. This is my first "real" project
using it.

-- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 12:59*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Ulysses" wrote:
[...]

Form follows function. and that is my kind of style. Simple, yet
elegant. Very nice.
I am scared to death to even try a lathe..it would be sooo addicting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Form follows function. and that is my kind of style. Simple, yet
elegant. Very nice.

Thank you, sir. That was what I was aiming at.

I am scared to death to even try a lathe..it would be sooo addicting.

SWMBO has been saying for years that I needed a lathe. I was resisting because
I am still learning the tools I've got. But when she took me to Woodcraft and
said "Get what you want", how could I refuse? The woman is a keeper.

-- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Nice look to the color in my opinion.

The legs look like they are one piece not laminated. Thick Cherry
ain't cheap eh?

Worse than that. I had some left over 8/4 cherry that was going to be enough to
make the legs. But there was a hunk of sap wood I couldn't avoid, so I ended up
buying another plank of 8/4. So I've got more left overs than I started with.
Oh, well. It will find a home sooner or later. -- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in message
news
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Nice look to the color in my opinion.

The legs look like they are one piece not laminated. Thick Cherry
ain't cheap eh?

Worse than that. I had some left over 8/4 cherry that was going to be
enough to
make the legs. But there was a hunk of sap wood I couldn't avoid, so I
ended up
buying another plank of 8/4. So I've got more left overs than I started
with.
Oh, well. It will find a home sooner or later. -- Doug

Was that a drive-by?

If you need to find a home for that cherry, let me know.

jc

Pre-stained wood [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 19th 09 08:50 PM
Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
Stained brick Wyz Home Repair 2 February 17th 07 10:10 PM
poplar stained .... LarryLev Woodworking 2 September 18th 06 07:57 PM
restoring stained oak [email protected] UK diy 7 September 3rd 05 04:25 PM