Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Default Display Case project is Finished

I've been working on a glass display box for a Nautilus model I have.
I'm self-taught and prone to procrastination and second-guessing,
which explains why it took me several months to do this pretty simple
project. But, you can see photos of the semi-finished project at:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Previous blog entries about this project are, in order:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/564794.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/594931.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/596626.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/597986.html
(Somewhere in here, I switched to Oak, but took no photos.)
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Mar 5, 12:22 pm, BrianSiano wrote:
I've been working on a glass display box for a Nautilus model I have.
I'm self-taught and prone to procrastination and second-guessing,
which explains why it took me several months to do this pretty simple
project. But, you can see photos of the semi-finished project at:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Previous blog entries about this project are, in order:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/56...om/597986.html
(Somewhere in here, I switched to Oak, but took no photos.)http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Nice! And I've always empathized with Captain Nemo. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

"BrianSiano" wrote in message
I've been working on a glass display box for a Nautilus model I have.
I'm self-taught and prone to procrastination and second-guessing,
which explains why it took me several months to do this pretty simple
project. But, you can see photos of the semi-finished project at:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Previous blog entries about this project are, in order:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/564794.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/594931.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/596626.html
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/597986.html
(Somewhere in here, I switched to Oak, but took no photos.)
http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Brian,

Impressive work. You should be proud. :-)

You said you will find another way to make the 45 degree joints.
I've never built a case like that, but I think that a shooting board and
hand plane would make short work of it. You can adjust a miter with shims,
even a paper's thickness.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

On Mar 5, 2:22*pm, BrianSiano wrote:
I've been working on a glass display box for a Nautilus model I have.
I'm self-taught and prone to procrastination and second-guessing,
which explains why it took me several months to do this pretty simple
project. But, you can see photos of the semi-finished project at:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

Previous blog entries about this project are, in order:

http://briansiano.livejournal.com/56...om/597986.html
(Somewhere in here, I switched to Oak, but took no photos.)http://briansiano.livejournal.com/643709.html

It looks nice!

A friend of mine once told me something that I've taken to heart when
it comes to projects: The best time to start a project is right after
you finish it.

So far it's held true in every single thing that comes out of my
workshop.

For the base, which probably won't straighten out like you're hoping,
you can always just take some of the scrap oak and make some feet for
your case. Even 1" feet with some nice curves will help. Also, it
might help when you move it to another location. You can work to make
sure your boards are flat to 1/1000", but it won't do you any good if
the thing you're setting them on are wavy and warped. :-)

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Did you use the same amount of finish on the top and bottom? If the
number of coats is unequal, one side could adsorb more moisture than
the other which will cause it to warp.

Mitch