Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Vise Recommendation

I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 7:14*am, "tlc..." wrote:
I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

I would goto leevalley.com, I have one from them and its great.......

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tlc..." wrote in message
|I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
| recommendations.

My exact vise won't help since I bought it at Sears in August of 1972 ;-),
but I do have a recommendation for a feature that I've found invaluable over
the intervening 36 years: Quick release. A quarter-turn counter-clockwise
and the vise is free to travel in or out to the approximate position I need.
Also, for woodworking, I wouldn't accept anything that looked like a
machinist's vise, you need wooden jaws and as large as you can afford.
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/09 8:14 AM, "tlc..." wrote:

I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

What kind of woodworking do you do? Cabinets, turnings, carving, etc.?

Do you have a decent bench? The best vise arrangements are really a
component in a workbench system. Typical woodworking vises are either a
front or tail/end style. Both mount on the underside of a workbench, so you
need to know what kind of clearance is available for the mounting and the
motion of the screws.

That said, I would start with a a front vise like this one -
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4939

Or a tail vise like this
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=3077

Some features -
wide jaw, with a large opening
Quick release
Fold-up dog
Sturdy mounting on the underside off a bench

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 8:14*am, "tlc..." wrote:
I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

I am in the process of building a bench and after much research I
ordered this(large version) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...80&cat=1,41659
and these http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...34&cat=1,41659
from Lee Valley. They arrived yesterday and I can tell ya the vise is
a behemoth. It's made by www.york.cz and they have been in business
since 1921.

I started out to get the twin screw but couldn't justify the price.
Plus the covers are extra.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 05:14:15 -0800 (PST), "tlc..."
wrote:

I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

Get a quick release, you'll be glad you did. I have a Record brand,
no complaints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:31:25 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

but I do have a recommendation for a feature that I've found invaluable over
the intervening 36 years: Quick release. A quarter-turn counter-clockwise
and the vise is free to travel in or out to the approximate position I need.

I'd agree with that. I bought one without quick release and I wish
I'd done otherwise. Not having it isn't a disaster, but having it
would definitely be more convenient.

Reply-to address is real
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:14:15 +0000, tlc... wrote
(in article
):

I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

so - you are looking for a dvice?

:-)

Were you me, you'd have looked for the following dvice-
Used. Record. q.r. Biggest you can find....
No regrets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blackemmons wrote:

I started out to get the twin screw but couldn't justify the price.
Plus the covers are extra.

I think you misread. The original twin-screw came with a plastic cover,
the new one comes with an aluminum cover. The new cover is available as
a separate item for people wanting to switch.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

tlc... wrote:
I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
recommendations.

I have two Record 52's on my bench. They are quick release.
Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but
there are knockoffs as indicated in other posts.

I used a Jorgensen quick-release vise in woodworking class. It was
good, too, and if I buy another vise I'll buy Jorgensen.
http://www.adjustableclamp.com/v-40000.htm

Unless I'm feeling rich, then I'll try to get a patternmaker's vise, a
la http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=3516

Or an Emmert, or Tucker. http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
: tlc... wrote:
: I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
: recommendations.

: I have two Record 52's on my bench. They are quick release.
: Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but
: there are knockoffs as indicated in other posts.

: I used a Jorgensen quick-release vise in woodworking class. It was
: good, too, and if I buy another vise I'll buy Jorgensen.
: http://www.adjustableclamp.com/v-40000.htm

Intresting. I had a Jorgensen, and liked it, but the quick-release
I found a hassle sometimes -- the Record design seems easier to use.

Why do you prefer the Jorgensen?

-- Andy BArss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
scritch wrote:
: tlc... wrote:
: I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for
: recommendations.

: I have two Record 52's on my bench. They are quick release.
: Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but
: there are knockoffs as indicated in other posts.

: I used a Jorgensen quick-release vise in woodworking class. It was
: good, too, and if I buy another vise I'll buy Jorgensen.
: http://www.adjustableclamp.com/v-40000.htm

Intresting. I had a Jorgensen, and liked it, but the quick-release
I found a hassle sometimes -- the Record design seems easier to use.

Why do you prefer the Jorgensen?

-- Andy BArss

When I got my vises, it was kind of like the Stihl/Husqvarna chainsaw
choice, six of one, etc. At the time the Records were a bit cheaper,
and there was this cool promotion that sent me a free speed clamp with
my vise. That, along with free shipping, clinched the deal. Of course,
their promotions didn't work, and now Record is out of business, I can't
get any more speed clamps, and I would get Jorgensen again were I to get
another vise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

but I do have a recommendation for a feature that I've found invaluable over
the intervening 36 years: Quick release. A quarter-turn counter-clockwise
and the vise is free to travel in or out to the approximate position I need.

I'd agree with that. I bought one without quick release and I wish
I'd done otherwise. Not having it isn't a disaster, but having it
would definitely be more convenient.

Reply-to address is real
John

I'll third that. I have this one,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41659,41661,
and I'm happy with it, except I went cheap and didn't get the quick
release. I've regretted it ever since.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

but I do have a recommendation for a feature that I've found invaluable over
the intervening 36 years: Quick release. A quarter-turn counter-clockwise
and the vise is free to travel in or out to the approximate position I need.

I'd agree with that. I bought one without quick release and I wish
I'd done otherwise. Not having it isn't a disaster, but having it
would definitely be more convenient.

Reply-to address is real
John

I'll third that. I have this one,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41659,41661,
and I'm happy with it, except I went cheap and didn't get the quick
release. I've regretted it ever since.

Tanus

Yup, same one I have. Works fine, but the quick release would have
been better.
Reply-to address is real
John