Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No click Bic drill bit

Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Thanks,
Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Check Crafts Supply, Penn State or any of the woodturning tools and
supplies outfits - pen turners use what you're looking for - depending
on what you mean by Low Cost

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
A good hardware store has long drill bits. Mcmastercarr also has them.
$4-12 each depending on length. Just look for aircraft extension drill
bit

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:24:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Sears has 12 inch long drill bits in increments of 1/16 diameter from 1/8 up
to a half or so, or a set of six--price range is 6-16 bucks depending on
diameter, or 60 or so for the set. May have to order them though, they
don't seem to be an in stock item at any but the largest stores.

Home Depot and Lowes also usually have some in stock. If no joy there, then
try McMaster--they've got bits in a wide range of lengths, diameters,
materials, and designs.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

These would be readily available at Ace or any good tool store.
They are usually called bell bits.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put
a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic
type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Thanks,
Tom

Good Luck!, Typically a bit to do this needs to be a better quality bit
that can quickly and efficiently remove the debris. Also consider that you
need a drill press to make this hole. Your drill press needs to have the
travel that is long enough to complete the hole. Also consider that most
every pen has brass tubes inside. These tubes must fit over a 7 or 8mm
mandrel with the aid of bushings. Almost with out exception the drill bit
must be the size of the brass tubes, not the size of the pen workings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:24:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Thanks,
Tom

I bought mine at Home Depot.. whowooda thunkit..

They have 8" length in most small sizes, as I remember, I got the 1/8" for the
refill part and 3/16 for the recess?

Made a ton of them..
Ended up using them for Karaoke, since they didn't even sell.. Even when I
reduced them to $10..
Some we like the picture, most were "magic wands" or desk pens..

Even in "production" mode, they took about 1/2 hour each..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:09:03 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Good Luck!, Typically a bit to do this needs to be a better quality bit
that can quickly and efficiently remove the debris. Also consider that you
need a drill press to make this hole. Your drill press needs to have the
travel that is long enough to complete the hole. Also consider that most
every pen has brass tubes inside. These tubes must fit over a 7 or 8mm
mandrel with the aid of bushings. Almost with out exception the drill bit
must be the size of the brass tubes, not the size of the pen workings.

I agree with all but the drill press part, Leon..

I found that they were centered better when I drilled them on the lathe..
I would drill them all the way through and then turn then ON the drill bit with
a collet on each end, between centers..

Yeah, I'm lazy, but that way there was a lot less chance of doing the final
sanding and breaking through into the hole.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Good Luck!, Typically a bit to do this needs to be a better quality bit
that can quickly and efficiently remove the debris. Also consider that
you
need a drill press to make this hole. Your drill press needs to have the
travel that is long enough to complete the hole. Also consider that most
every pen has brass tubes inside. These tubes must fit over a 7 or 8mm
mandrel with the aid of bushings. Almost with out exception the drill bit
must be the size of the brass tubes, not the size of the pen workings.

I agree with all but the drill press part, Leon..

I found that they were centered better when I drilled them on the lathe..
I would drill them all the way through and then turn then ON the drill bit
with
a collet on each end, between centers..

I knew a regulat turner would mention that. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Lee Valley has some new drill bits designed for pen makers. They're 6" long.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50&cat=51&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Behning wrote:
A good hardware store has long drill bits. Mcmastercarr also has them.
$4-12 each depending on length. Just look for aircraft extension drill
bit

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:24:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?
An example of the finished project is he

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/12138

The main criteria for the drill bit: low cost .

Thanks,
Tom

For the main criteria, try Harbor Freight if you have one close by.
They have them in 18 inch length, you can cut to the length you need
if they have the right size. If you are going to do a lot of them,
disregard this message.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Parabolic drills export swarf out of the hole faster and easier.

Interesting point concept also.
Martin

Upscale wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Lee Valley has some new drill bits designed for pen makers. They're 6" long.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50&cat=51&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:01:32 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Good Luck!, Typically a bit to do this needs to be a better quality bit
that can quickly and efficiently remove the debris. Also consider that
you
need a drill press to make this hole. Your drill press needs to have the
travel that is long enough to complete the hole. Also consider that most
every pen has brass tubes inside. These tubes must fit over a 7 or 8mm
mandrel with the aid of bushings. Almost with out exception the drill bit
must be the size of the brass tubes, not the size of the pen workings.

I agree with all but the drill press part, Leon..

I found that they were centered better when I drilled them on the lathe..
I would drill them all the way through and then turn then ON the drill bit
with
a collet on each end, between centers..

I knew a regulat turner would mention that. ;~)

But I'm usually the first one to go to the DP, Leon..
When I first started turning pens, I drilled them on the lathe.. What a PITA,
crank, crank, crank..
Getting a pen drilling vise for the DP made a world of difference..

The challenge on the Bic type pens was having a 6" long hole dead center all the
way through the blank, with a very small blank, usually no more than 3/8 x 3/8"
or so..
Just less failures by turning them on the drill bit that made the hole, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I knew a regulat turner would mention that. ;~)

But I'm usually the first one to go to the DP, Leon..
When I first started turning pens, I drilled them on the lathe.. What a
PITA,
crank, crank, crank..
Getting a pen drilling vise for the DP made a world of difference..

The challenge on the Bic type pens was having a 6" long hole dead center
all the
way through the blank, with a very small blank, usually no more than 3/8 x
3/8"
or so..
Just less failures by turning them on the drill bit that made the hole,
IMO..

Good to know, I'll have to remember that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 26, 2:24*am, wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a drill bit long enough to put a hole
in a piece of wood that will receive the ink tube from a Bic type pen?

Drills don't reliably drill straight. Long floppy drills, in wood
endgrain, never drill straight.

Three ways to do this:
(1) drill into endgrain of a billet, frequently retracting the bit to
clear chips, then (when the hole goes through) mount the
billet on a mandrel, turn the exterior on a lathe to get the
hole into the center of the workpiece

(2) use two pieces of wood, groove each and glue them
together around a mandrel. Disassemble a wood pencil for
design insights...

(3) drill with something exotic, like a laser or hot poker, that
doesn't flex or bend.

The best kind of wood for cutting this kind of thing is fine-grained,
not very decorative. Lace bobbins are the classic item of this
sort.