Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tile+wood table top

Hi all,

I really like this end table I ran across while web surfing, and I
think I'll try to make my own version.

http://www.americanmissionfurniture.com/endtable.html

It seems that the differential expansion between the wooden part of
the top and the tile/grout part of the top could create cracks in the
grout or tile. Perhaps this could be avoided by:

1. Using enough latex additive in the grout so that it has a bit more
tensile strength and flexibility.
2. Using quarter-sawn oak, like they did, because qswo has little
cross-grain expansion.
3. Leaving a little gap between the grout and wood and fill with
matching caulk.

I'm hoping #1 and #2 would be suitable solutions.* #3 sounds ugly.
Anyone know if differential expansion in a piece like this is likely
to be a problem? If so, any solutions?

Thanks!

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi all,

I really like this end table I ran across while web surfing, and I
think I'll try to make my own version.

http://www.americanmissionfurniture.com/endtable.html

It seems that the differential expansion between the wooden part of
the top and the tile/grout part of the top could create cracks in the
grout or tile. Perhaps this could be avoided by:

1. Using enough latex additive in the grout so that it has a bit more
tensile strength and flexibility.
2. Using quarter-sawn oak, like they did, because qswo has little
cross-grain expansion.
3. Leaving a little gap between the grout and wood and fill with
matching caulk.

I'm hoping #1 and #2 would be suitable solutions. #3 sounds ugly.
Anyone know if differential expansion in a piece like this is likely
to be a problem? If so, any solutions?

I think that what I would do, Kevin, is use a plywood substrate and/or
some one quarter inch backer board under the tile.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

* * I think that what I would do, Kevin, is use a plywood substrate and/or
some one quarter inch backer board under the tile.

Dave in Houston

Thanks Dave, I guess my concern is whether the oak "frame" around the
tiles will move in and out, towards and away, from the tiles and crack
the grout.

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin, I built a buffet about 24 inches deep, 70 inches wide, and
put a tile top on. The top has a 3 inch oak border around, and a 4
inch divider piece in the middle. The tile is 6 inch square (matches
the entry hall), each half is 2 rows of 8 tiles I think. I stuck the
tiles down with some type of glue, and when dry, filled with the same
grout used in the hall. The border is white oak, 3/4 inch thick, and
the center where the tile is is about 1/4 inch thick. All glued up
before the tile went in. I built this 2 years ago, and it is in the
dining room at approx 70 degrees. Not a crack to be found anywhere.
I did the same thing for a backstop to the buffet, 12 x 70 inches, and
no problems there either.

Hope this helps.....