PC Gameplayer

Default Should I buy Jet 708436K from Rockler?

I've had some bonus money come my way, and I'm looking at upgrading my
tablesaw--to a cabinet saw, if I can swing it. I got a flyer from the
local Rockler stores yesterday, and I was very impressed with the Jet
saw they showed on the front. They don't give the model number, but
from poking around on the 'net it looks like it's the 708436K, which
sells on Amazon for about $1000. Now, what's got me interested is
that you can get the saw, plus the free mobile base, for $699.
SCHWEET.

But I have a couple questions...I've googled, and can't seem to find
answers.

1. Can I run this off 115V, assuming it's on its own circuit, or do I
have to go up to 220V?

2. It looks like the widest I can cut to the right of the blade is
27". In case I wanted something larger, is there an add-on extension
table (or would it be easy to build my own)?

3. Is this a discontinued model?

4. The most important question (c; Is there any glaring reason why I
should *not* immediately start buttering up SWMBO so I can get the
funds to buy one of these?

Thanks for any help/advice y'all can give me. And stay tuned--I may
have a BT3100 I'd be looking to offload for pretty cheap... (C:

Jim
Charlie Self

Jim asks:

I've had some bonus money come my way, and I'm looking at upgrading my
tablesaw--to a cabinet saw, if I can swing it. I got a flyer from the
local Rockler stores yesterday, and I was very impressed with the Jet
saw they showed on the front. They don't give the model number, but
from poking around on the 'net it looks like it's the 708436K, which
sells on Amazon for about $1000. Now, what's got me interested is
that you can get the saw, plus the free mobile base, for $699.
SCHWEET.

Good. But what Jet saw IS IT?

That's an Amazon or Rockler catalog number that tells me squat about the saw. I
checked out Amazon and saw nothing close to that number, but, then, I quit
after checking 3-4 pages of Jet saws. Check Jet yourself and let us
know...www.jettools.com and go on to "Woodworking Tools."

1. Can I run this off 115V, assuming it's on its own circuit, or do I
have to go up to 220V?

If we knew the model....

2. It looks like the widest I can cut to the right of the blade is
27". In case I wanted something larger, is there an add-on extension
table (or would it be easy to build my own)?

Any thousand buck saw that limits cuts to the right of the blade to 27" is way
over-priced.

3. Is this a discontinued model?

What model IS it?

Charlie Self
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
sure."
Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Stephen Meier

I doubt it.

There are razor thin magins on big machines. There is just no way that a $1K
saw can be marked down that low. I guess is that this is a differnt model
than you think.

"when it looks to good to be true, it probably is"

-Steve

"PC Gameplayer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bob Davis

Whoa, there Charlie. The part number is a jet number. You just didn't find
it. If you search for the part number on Amazon, you'll go directly to the
page for the saw. Its also listed on the jet website with that part number.
The model number is JWCS-10A-PF.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

That's an Amazon or Rockler catalog number that tells me squat about the

saw. I
checked out Amazon and saw nothing close to that number, but, then, I quit
after checking 3-4 pages of Jet saws.

Bob Davis

It comes prewired for 115V.

An addon extension table is available. See the Jet website. It is not
discontinued. I truly doubt anyone is selling this saw for $699. It sounds
to me like their printer inserted the wrong picture. If Rockler did not list
the model number, that's more than likely what happened.

If you actually find it for that price, let us know. There will be a run on
them.

Bob

[...]

grif

On 31 Jan 2004 09:09:07 -0800, (PC Gameplayer) wrote:

I've had some bonus money come my way, and I'm looking at upgrading my
tablesaw--to a cabinet saw, if I can swing it. I got a flyer from the
local Rockler stores yesterday, and I was very impressed with the Jet
saw they showed on the front. They don't give the model number, but
from poking around on the 'net it looks like it's the 708436K, which
sells on Amazon for about $1000. Now, what's got me interested is
that you can get the saw, plus the free mobile base, for $699.
SCHWEET.

=======================
I own a very similar saw JCS-10 that I purchased in the mid 80's from
jet after reading a comparison test of a few saws in a magazine.in
which it got terrific reviews.....BLUE in Color however

This is NOT really a true Cabinet saw...more like a contractors saw
with an enclosed base and the motor hung under the saw....and uses 3
belts like a cabinet saw would...

Mine came with a 2 HP motor pre wired for 220... ...and I purchased it
with a 50 or 52 in Biesmeyer fence (Delta did not own Biesmeyer at the
time and the fence was a factory option...and the motor cover also was
an extra cost option which I did purchase.

Mine cost a hair under a $1000 and that was over 20 years ago...so 700
bucks even with a 30 in fence is still a good price...

BUT what you most likely want to hear is is the saw a good one....

Well I have never been able to really push the saw past its
limits...NEVER !

when sawing 8/4 Maple yes I can honestly say I would love to have
another horsepower 3 instead of 2 (the model I think you are looking
at says the motor is 1 3/4 HP...) But ripping anything other then
Maple ..even in 8/4 thicknesses the saw just does not slow down...

Total DOWN TIME .... for any reason.... during the 15 or so years I
have owned AND USED the saw is limited to blade changes etc ... never
once had a problem with it...Gosh I can not even remember the last
time I even checked the alignment ..the cuts I made this morning
were perfect

Bob Griffiths
PC Gameplayer

Steve:

That's what I thought as well...that's why I asked the question about
whether it was a discontinued model. Someone else suggested looking
at jettools.com: the model number listed there is JWCS-10A-PF--at
least I think this is the right one. The number I quoted below is a
Jet *stock* number.

I'll probably call the Rockler store tomorrow to verify this is the
number, and I'll try to post an answer either way. Thanks, everyone,
for the help/comments...

Jim

Rockler Ron Woodworking 7 January 18th 04 11:35 PM
Freud SD208 8" Dado at Rockler for $69.99 Pops Woodworking 1 October 6th 03 08:59 PM