Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is my bandsaw blade screwed up?

To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the
points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks
like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle) at
the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is
this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong?
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the
points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks
like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle) at
the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is
this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong?
TIA
Norm

Sounds like it is turned inside out.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Murphy was an optimist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's in-side-out.

Turn the blade inside-out (from it's current state), then turn it around to
point the teeth forward.

(FWIW I had to try try it with a marked up rubber band to prove it to
myself)

-Steve

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the
points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks
like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle)
at
the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is
this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong?
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is my bandsaw blade screwed up? RESOLUTION

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
| To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the
| points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks
| like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle)
at
| the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is
| this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong?
| TIA
| Norm

Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was
inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!

Once again, proving the power of the web.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:19:22 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was
inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!

I've been working part time at the local Woodcraft. Don't feel alone -
you'd be surprised how many times we get that question :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:18:56 -0600, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:19:22 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was
inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!

I've been working part time at the local Woodcraft. Don't feel alone -
you'd be surprised how many times we get that question :-).

And they don't cut very well if the teeth are pointing up.. DAMHIKT

Also, gloves ARE recommended for handling the blades, especially when uncoiling
them or turning them right-side-out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:32:33 -0800, mac davis wrote:

And they don't cut very well if the teeth are pointing up.. DAMHIKT

Nicely polished kerf though.

Also, gloves ARE recommended for handling the blades, especially when
uncoiling them or turning them right-side-out..

You hold them while uncoiling? I thought throwing them on the lawn was
the approved technique?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:19:22 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was
inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!

I've been working part time at the local Woodcraft. Don't feel alone -
you'd be surprised how many times we get that question :-).

And they don't cut very well if the teeth are pointing up.. DAMHIKT

Also, gloves ARE recommended for handling the blades, especially when
uncoiling
them or turning them right-side-out..

One of the mills that I worked at years ago had a double band breakdown saw,
basically a sharp chain would carry a log through a right and left bandmill,
cutting
a slab from either side, leaving a two sided cant to pass through a gang
saw.

The bandsaws were sharpened in house and the sawfilers would occasionally
have to turn one of these bands inside out to use on the other side of the
mill.
These bands were 6 inches wide, 20 feet or so long and the filers made it
look
easy and as far as I know no one was ever hurt in the process.
Scary stuff with that much spring steel moving all at once.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was
inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!

Once again, proving the power of the web.

Man. Had I been a few hours earlier I could have answered this for you from
experience. The shop next door has a band saw and the guy comes over to us
two days ago and says, "Hey... This blade was manufactured backwards!"

It took us a few seconds to "fix" his blade and we didn't let him see how we
did it. He walked away 10 minutes later all confused at our magic trick.

Apparently, when they coil them up for shipment, it is either easy to flip
them or someone does it as a prank...

Glad you got yours fixed.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:32:33 -0800, mac davis wrote:

And they don't cut very well if the teeth are pointing up.. DAMHIKT

Nicely polished kerf though.

Also, gloves ARE recommended for handling the blades, especially when
uncoiling them or turning them right-side-out..

You hold them while uncoiling? I thought throwing them on the lawn was
the approved technique?

Strange enough the shorter blades can eat you if you are not careful, and
tossing them in the yard is a safe method. Longer blades, mine is 150"
long, are very easily opened and closed while holding them with 2 hands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

basilisk- Hide quoted text -

You like big blades? Try this

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/hull_oaks.html

Nahmie
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nahmie" wrote

You like big blades? Try this

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/hull_oaks.html

Finally ... a band saw blade bigger'n Leon's!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 10:29*am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the
points of the blade should point that way too. *I have a blade that looks
like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle) at
the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. *Is
this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong?
* * TIA
* * * * Norm

Trick for upside down and backwards (not as radical as the radial arm
saw guy) bandsaw blades or just backwards.

To get the look of rough cut cedar mill your lumber as you wood for
any project and dry fit all of the parts. Guide the faces of the cedar
that you want to look rough cut at an angle past the upside down and
backwards bandsaw blade.
I guess you could liken it to a big rasp that you use whatever
pressure you need against it to get the desired look.

Robb

Bandsaw blade help Chris Woodworking 5 December 2nd 07 10:19 AM
Bandsaw Blade Breakage Errol Caldwell Woodturning 13 February 8th 06 11:46 AM
bad bandsaw blade???????? Derstine Metalworking 3 January 30th 06 07:00 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM
Bandsaw Blade Zipper Metalworking 6 April 11th 05 05:31 PM