Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac For Oak Window Casing?

I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter. I need to replace the casing due to damage,
plus I need to paint the room.

Rather than going with painted casing, I was planning on using oak. My
preference is always clear shellac rather than poly, since the latter tends
to yellow.

Will shellac have any problem holding up to that environment? I guess I can
always try it, and if it doesn't work out, just sand it off and do poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I love shellac but I don't think it is right for this application. I
would go with white oak and seal it with a water based poly which will
have less of a yellowish cast than oil based. I would choose to go
with an exterior grade poly with UV protection. My two cents.

On Jan 15, 11:39*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter. *I need to replace the casing due to damage,
plus I need to paint the room.

Rather than going with painted casing, I was planning on using oak. *My
preference is always clear shellac rather than poly, since the latter tends
to yellow.

Will shellac have any problem holding up to that environment? *I guess I can
always try it, and if it doesn't work out, just sand it off and do poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 1:39*pm, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter. *I need to replace the casing due to damage,
plus I need to paint the room.

Rather than going with painted casing, I was planning on using oak. *My
preference is always clear shellac rather than poly, since the latter tends
to yellow.

Will shellac have any problem holding up to that environment? *I guess I can
always try it, and if it doesn't work out, just sand it off and do poly.

I agree with most of what has been said EXCEPT the part about Sherwin
Williams. I have used their Nitrocellulose
Lacquer in the past. It is the best! However, I have been trying to
use their water based lacquer off and on for about 2 years now. I am
not a happy camper. It is a real challenge to get a consistent
coating. Maybe I don't have the correct HVLP system,but I don't
recommend it for amateurs!

I just switched back to my old favorite Hydrocote. I have used their
water based Super Lac and their Polyurethane in the past with great
and EASY success. Even old stuff product works great and goes on
easily. I am just about to try their Resistane replacement for Super
Lac this weekend.

Len
to finish up a job.
success.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter.

Most of the replies seem, to me, to suggest repair of exterior
casings. Condensation on the windows and subsequent damage, to me,
implies interior casings. I'm supposing the poster is citing moisture
damage, not weather or sun damage.

Use a marine finish, if you are repairing the interior. Maybe even
apply tung oil or BLO, then topcoat after it dries very well. UV
light shouldn't affect the finish (through the window panes), too
much, except after several years, maybe.

Double posted?? Sorry if I did. I got an error message when I "sent"
before.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry Aynum wrote:

I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter. I need to replace the casing due to damage,
plus I need to paint the room.

Rather than going with painted casing, I was planning on using oak. My
preference is always clear shellac rather than poly, since the latter tends
to yellow.

Will shellac have any problem holding up to that environment? I guess I can
always try it, and if it doesn't work out, just sand it off and do poly.

It would seem to me the first step would be to repair the cause of the
cold air infiltration which is causing the condensation.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the interior casing around the
windows. The casings themselves don't get condensation, of course.

The windows, even though they're good quality low-e windows, still get some
condensation after a shower, especially when it is brutally cold as it is
right now.

Most of the replies seem, to me, to suggest repair of exterior
casings. Condensation on the windows and subsequent damage, to me,
implies interior casings. I'm supposing the poster is citing moisture
damage, not weather or sun damage.

Use a marine finish, if you are repairing the interior. Maybe even
apply tung oil or BLO, then topcoat after it dries very well. UV
light shouldn't affect the finish (through the window panes), too
much, except after several years, maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 11:39*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I have a north-facing bathroom window that gets a fair amount of
condensation in the winter. *I need to replace the casing due to damage,
plus I need to paint the room.

Rather than going with painted casing, I was planning on using oak. *My
preference is always clear shellac

Oak (and maple, and some other woods) mildew badly when wet
(making dark stains, aka "spalting"). Shellac can turn milky
with moisture absorbed.

Substitute other materials, it'll work better. How about spar
varnish on yellow cedar?

Window Casing Jerry V Home Repair 2 December 11th 08 06:13 PM
Shutter and Window Casing [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 15th 07 08:46 AM
Shellac or poly for window trim? Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 5 December 29th 05 12:31 PM
door casing [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 22nd 05 11:04 PM
Installing a new window without casing Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 June 7th 04 06:13 PM