Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 267

This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 11:19*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1516. Indian Push Dagger. http://www.trocadero.com/stores/101a...tem491190.html
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1513 Looks like an ammunition limber. Used to carry ammunition behind a gun
carriage on the move.

"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1518 Lead for a bull. It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the
animal
around by the nose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

My guesses:

1513 - Obviously a cart of some sort. I'll guess it's half of a set
used to transport telephone or telegraph poles around the turn of the
(previous) century. The poles themselves formed the body of the
vehicle, and animals the motive power. Similar (in the sense of
bodyless) trailers/dollies are still sometimes used for telephone poles
around here.

1514 - Knife sharpener, the knife blade being drawn lengthwise betwixt
the two interlocking ceramic wheels.

1515 - Possibly used to tie off a load; the lowest bit in the photo
could be stuck in an oblong hole in a corresponding mounting, and then
the toggle turned a quarter turn, and a rope tied to the tee handle
portion.

1516 - Folding heavy-duty letter opener, probably not legal to take
aboard an airplane these days.

1517 - Barrel sling for hoisting barrels (missing a rope or cable that
goes through the clips at the ends of the bows and is held in position
by their toggle action)

1518 - Pull handle for some sort of hand truck or cart, perhaps? The
teeth that resemble the comb on a chicken's head may engage some
steering mechanism on the truck, possibly connected to the back set of
wheels.

Now to read other guesses....

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Andrew Erickson wrote:
snip
1516 - Folding heavy-duty letter opener, probably not legal to take
aboard an airplane these days.

FWIW, it's a katar--there's even a wikipedia entry for them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar. I've seen one like it somewhere
but can't for the life of me recall where.

snip
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1513 has the doubletree and fotboards - if there was a place for the driver
to sit, it was on the equipment being towed. I don't think it was an
ammunition limber, for those had a chest for the ammunition and the
driver(s) sat on the to p of the chest.

1514 I could only guess insulator, but probbly not - the ceramics are too
close.

1515 A tool for removing the top of a home-heating oil tank. The "keyed"
affair at the bottom was inserted into a matching depression on a flat
(flush-fitted) lid and the "Tee" part was the handle. to unscrew the
male-threaded plug.

1516 and 1517 will remain until you post answers

1518 Looks kind of like an extension to put on the grate of a coal-fired
furnace, to shalke the grate without getting too close to the fire. You
probably pull the ring in the handle to open the laych in the eye.

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1513 might be a gatling gun limber?????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 8:49*am, "Bill Marrs" wrote:
1518 *Lead for a bull. * It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the
animal
* * * * * * around by the nose.

That's what it looks like to me. If you have a relatively calm or
"tame" bull, some people use a rope with a snap, . . . .

BUT . . you use this pole with a cantankerous bull. You can lead him
around, and if he takes a notion to charge you, the pole still gives
you control, as it will push his head down or off to the side.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Nahmie" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 8:49 am, "Bill Marrs" wrote:
1518 Lead for a bull. It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the
animal
around by the nose.

That's what it looks like to me. If you have a relatively calm or
"tame" bull, some people use a rope with a snap, . . . .

BUT . . you use this pole with a cantankerous bull. You can lead him
around, and if he takes a notion to charge you, the pole still gives
you control, as it will push his head down or off to the side.

-separator-
And this one even has little spikes to push against his nose to discourage
him coming after you.
Kerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:49:21 GMT, "Bill Marrs"
wrote:

1518 Lead for a bull. It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the
animal
around by the nose.

This sure looks right, an awful lot like patent 1,226,201.
See:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=1226201

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

1518 Lead for a bull. It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the
animal
around by the nose.

This sure looks right, an awful lot like patent 1,226,201.
See:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=1226201

Good job on finding the patent!! I knew what it was---have one on the
farm. Knew
it was called a "Bull Staff". But repeated googling only got me a bunch of
stuff
about Pit Bulls.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Still don't know for sure what the unidentified tool is, but the rest of the
answers can be seen at this address:

http://answers267s.blogspot.com/

Here are two more that were sent to me by people looking to identify them:

A. 3-12" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

B:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000021.jpg

The owner's description of it:

I found it on a windowsill in my living room. We have bought several things
like vacuum cleaner/garmin nav system/phone etc this last year but it doesnt
seem to fit anything.

It has four descriptive names/numbers molded on the bottom side----
POM

NF3
2B6N
2-591-688

I've tried to google these to no avail.

The item has a 10" nylon strap which adjusts through a slot in the plastic
item. The strap has a chrome eyelet to take the black machine screw. The
plastic piece takes the large machine screw with a large slot---looks like
it is designed so that it can be tightened with a coin. On the underside of
the plastic part, the hole which takes the machine screw projects out about
3/16" as an eight-sided star-like detent.

I'm guessing it's from some new contraption we've bought the last year or
two---but we're stumped.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Still don't know for sure what the unidentified tool is, but the rest of
the answers can be seen at this address:

http://answers267s.blogspot.com/

Here are two more that were sent to me by people looking to identify them:

A. 3-12" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

Looks like an old water key, used with an old style curb box. The
pentagonal socket fits the cover bolt. The flats are so you could use a
wrench on a rusty bolt and the pick end for prying up the cover or
breaking loose crap around the bolt. The hammer end for tapping the
cover back into it's recess.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 7:26*am, "Steve W." wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
Still don't know for sure what the unidentified tool is, but the rest of
the answers can be seen at this address:

http://answers267s.blogspot.com/

Here are two more that were sent to me by people looking to identify them:

A. 3-12" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

Looks like an old water key, used with an old style curb box. The
pentagonal socket fits the cover bolt. The flats are so you could use a
wrench on a rusty bolt and the pick end for prying up the cover or
breaking loose crap around the bolt. The hammer end for tapping the
cover back into it's recess.

--
Steve W.

NOW I know why it looked so familiar! Its a handle for a coal stove
shaker! We had one when I was a kid.
http://pzphotosan105t.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2009-01-16, Rob H. wrote:
Still don't know for sure what the unidentified tool is, but the rest of the
answers can be seen at this address:

http://answers267s.blogspot.com/

O.K. I was too late to dig into this set.

Here are two more that were sent to me by people looking to identify them:

A. 3-12" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

Hmm ... I would like a clearer look at the bottom, but it looks
to me as though it has a five-sided hole.

Was that three minus twelve inches long (-9 inches), or perhaps
intended to be 3-1/2" (three and one half inches?)

Aside from the size, the five-sided hole looks like what is used
on fire hydrants to keep the average wrench from being used on them.

Perhaps it is for access to fire valves in buildings or
something similar?

B:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000021.jpg

The owner's description of it:

I found it on a windowsill in my living room. We have bought several things
like vacuum cleaner/garmin nav system/phone etc this last year but it doesnt
seem to fit anything.

It looks like a strap for keeping some accessory near the
equipment with which it is used. The ponted screw goes through the
eyelet in the strap, and the thumbscrew holds down the plastic anchor.

[ ... ]

The item has a 10" nylon strap which adjusts through a slot in the plastic
item. The strap has a chrome eyelet to take the black machine screw.

Not exactly a machine screw, but perhaps a self-tapping sheet
metal screw.

The
plastic piece takes the large machine screw with a large slot-

The thumbscrew.

it is designed so that it can be tightened with a coin. On the underside of
the plastic part, the hole which takes the machine screw projects out about
3/16" as an eight-sided star-like detent.

Thus giving easier access to the knurled edge of the thumbscrew.

I'm guessing it's from some new contraption we've bought the last year or
two---but we're stumped.

Look for something with a color which matches the plastic piece,
and the color of the strap.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 5:19*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Here's a little gift for ya, Rob. Go through the pics on this
website....I think several of these have come across this site over
the years...

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-au...7/catalog.html

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Here's a little gift for ya, Rob. Go through the pics on this
website....I think several of these have come across this site over
the years...

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-au...7/catalog.html

--riverman

Wow, that's a lot of wrenches! I'll look through them over the next few
days.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

Looks like an old water key, used with an old style curb box. The
pentagonal socket fits the cover bolt. The flats are so you could use a
wrench on a rusty bolt and the pick end for prying up the cover or
breaking loose crap around the bolt. The hammer end for tapping the
cover back into it's recess.

--
Steve W.

Sounds like a good possibility.

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

NOW I know why it looked so familiar! Its a handle for a coal stove
shaker! We had one when I was a kid.
http://pzphotosan105t.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

--riverman

Yes, I remembered the stove shaker, but this is the first tool like this
that I've seen with the pentagonal socket. I haven't been able to confirm
any of the guesses for this tool yet.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

A. 3-12" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000020.jpg

Hmm ... I would like a clearer look at the bottom, but it looks
to me as though it has a five-sided hole.

Was that three minus twelve inches long (-9 inches), or perhaps
intended to be 3-1/2" (three and one half inches?)

Oops, that was supposed to be 3-1/2".

Aside from the size, the five-sided hole looks like what is used
on fire hydrants to keep the average wrench from being used on them.

Perhaps it is for access to fire valves in buildings or
something similar?

That's what I was thinking...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...9dsc000021.jpg

It looks like a strap for keeping some accessory near the
equipment with which it is used. The ponted screw goes through the
eyelet in the strap, and the thumbscrew holds down the plastic anchor.

Look for something with a color which matches the plastic piece,
and the color of the strap.

Good ideas, I'll pass them on to the owner.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2009-01-17, Rob H. wrote:

Here's a little gift for ya, Rob. Go through the pics on this
website....I think several of these have come across this site over
the years...

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-au...7/catalog.html

--riverman

Wow, that's a lot of wrenches! I'll look through them over the next few
days.

I've got some of the weird ones in there (e.g. #31 in the third
photo in the "pictures of all" grouping.

And there are others which I have and which I did not see in
there.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 7:18*am, "Rob H." wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking that it attaches to something cloth-like. The 'star'
pattern on the back of the plastic piece would sink into the cloth and
keep the strap from rotating...like a sling on a pack or something.
The other end would screw onto the lid....ask them if they bought
anything that would fit into a tube-like case....like a fishing rod
tube or something.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

humunculus wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:19 pm, "Rob H." wrote:
This week's set of photographs has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Here's a little gift for ya, Rob. Go through the pics on this
website....I think several of these have come across this site over
the years...

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-au...7/catalog.html

--riverman

0007: Wrenches made in Worchester are rare!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I'm thinking that it attaches to something cloth-like. The 'star'
pattern on the back of the plastic piece would sink into the cloth and
keep the strap from rotating...like a sling on a pack or something.
The other end would screw onto the lid....ask them if they bought
anything that would fit into a tube-like case....like a fishing rod
tube or something.

--riverman

I passed along the suggestions from this thread to the owner of the strap,
but he still hasn't found the answer, I'll let everyone know if I hear from
him again.

Rob