Posted to rec.woodworking
pat pat is offline

Default Work Sharp 3000

The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. Sharpening for me is really a chore. This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. Pat
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 3:41*pm, pat wrote:
The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. *I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. *Sharpening for me is really a chore. *This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. *Pat

I have tried many other sharpening systems, I wasn't patient enough I
guess for hand sharpening and I wasn't rich enough for the big
machines...Tormek,etc. Anyway, when I saw the WorkSharp it seemed to
be a good machine at a good price. And when I got it, I sharpened all
my hand tools, and what a difference it made... it made junk planes
that could barely cut styrofoam cut oak really nice. It made
sharpening my plane blades, my chisels, quick and easy. Now I only
have to touch them up. The blades are like mirrors.

My recomendation is, if youre not good at hand sharpening, and can't
aford the big machine...try this first, you'll probably be very happy
with it.

BTW, if you buy it...you easily use self stick sand paper, instead of
buying it from Work Sharp...ie you can save some money.

Good luck!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 2:41*pm, pat wrote:
The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. *I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. *Sharpening for me is really a chore. *This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. *Pat

Hi,

I too am a big fan of the work sharp 3000, I used wet stones in the
past and it was always ac hore to get them out get everything set up
and them sharpen everything, Now I use this when ever I want and can
touch up tools easily vs the much longer process I used before.
I do alot of carving and the worksharp 3000 is great on my chisels.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 05:20:00 -0800 (PST), randyswoodshoop
wrote:
Hi,

I too am a big fan of the work sharp 3000, I used wet stones in the
past and it was always ac hore to get them out get everything set up
and them sharpen everything, Now I use this when ever I want and can
touch up tools easily vs the much longer process I used before.
I do alot of carving and the worksharp 3000 is great on my chisels.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Thanks, Randy... You answered a question that I was about to ask.. (I think)

You say "touch up" tools, which leads me to believe that in most cases, it's an
"after the grinder" tool, right?

I'm guessing that in my case, mostly turning, I'd still sharpen on the grinder
but touch up/hone on the Work Sharp?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

Thanks, Randy... You answered a question that I was about to ask.. (I think)

You say "touch up" tools, which leads me to believe that in most cases, it's an
"after the grinder" tool, right?

I'm guessing that in my case, mostly turning, I'd still sharpen on the grinder
but touch up/hone on the Work Sharp?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

With 120 grit sandpaper on the WS3000 restoring a badly damaged edge of
a chisel or plane iron takes less than a minute.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
mac davis wrote:
I'm guessing that in my case, mostly turning, I'd still sharpen on the
grinder but touch up/hone on the Work Sharp?

mac

With 120 grit sandpaper on the WS3000 restoring a badly damaged edge of
a chisel or plane iron takes less than a minute.

Yes, I though one of the benefits of the system was the ability to very
quickly change grits and work through sharpening, from very course
to very fine.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
With 120 grit sandpaper on the WS3000 restoring a badly damaged edge of
a chisel or plane iron takes less than a minute.

I have the Wolverine jigs for my lathe tools.
Can the Wolverine be set up on the 3000, or is it unnecessary?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Nova wrote:

With 120 grit sandpaper on the WS3000 restoring a badly damaged edge
of a chisel or plane iron takes less than a minute.

I have the Wolverine jigs for my lathe tools.
Can the Wolverine be set up on the 3000, or is it unnecessary?

The Wolverine jigs are designed to be used with a vertical wheel. The
WS3000 plates are horizontal. I imagine you could somehow adapt the jig
but it wouldn't be an easy task.

I still use my grinding wheel for gouges as it's easier. I use the
WS3000 for skews, scrapers, bedans, etc.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"randyswoodshoop" wrote in message
I too am a big fan of the work sharp 3000

Just a quick question to anybody reading this thread. Can the workshop be
adapted without too much difficulty to sharpening kitchen knives?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"randyswoodshoop" wrote in message

I too am a big fan of the work sharp 3000

Just a quick question to anybody reading this thread. Can the workshop be
adapted without too much difficulty to sharpening kitchen knives?

I've tried sharpen a pocket knife freehand using the top of the disk.
I'm not good at freehand sharpening and the results I got were poor.
The "Work Sharp" is really designed for flat blades. In my opinion
there are better sharpening systems available for knives.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In my opinion there
are better sharpening systems available for knives.

beltsander/grinder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjFj...ext=1&index=24
Posted to rec.woodworking
pat pat is offline

On Jan 9, 12:41*pm, pat wrote:
The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. *I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. *Sharpening for me is really a chore. *This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. *Pat

Thank you all who contributed to this post. You were very helpful. I
ordered it from Amazon on Saturday and it arrived today. I unpacked
it and found it to be very well packed with cardboard and no foam.
( what is this no foam deal? our town has forbidden foam cups and foam
food take out things. This isn't going national is it?) It seems to
be solidly built, I haven't used it yet. Thanks again Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking

pat wrote:

On Jan 9, 12:41Â*pm, pat wrote:
The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. Â*I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. Â*Sharpening for me is really a chore. Â*This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. Â*Pat

Thank you all who contributed to this post. You were very helpful. I
ordered it from Amazon on Saturday and it arrived today. I unpacked
it and found it to be very well packed with cardboard and no foam.
( what is this no foam deal? our town has forbidden foam cups and foam
food take out things. This isn't going national is it?)

Mistaken notion that this saves landfill space. The geniuses don't
realize that foam compresses to practically nothing; I think they have
these visions of cup-size spaces for each cup thrown in a landfill.

It seems to
be solidly built, I haven't used it yet. Thanks again Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Mistaken notion that this saves landfill space. The geniuses don't
realize that foam compresses to practically nothing; I think they have
these visions of cup-size spaces for each cup thrown in a landfill.

Well, I'd be perfectly happy if the banned foam in my neck of the woods. 50%
of the deliveries I get are packed with peanuts. Takes two minutes to open
the package and 15 minutes to get all the static filled peanuts back in the
box and sealed for disposal in the garbage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Mistaken notion that this saves landfill space. The geniuses don't
realize that foam compresses to practically nothing; I think they have
these visions of cup-size spaces for each cup thrown in a landfill.

Well, I'd be perfectly happy if the banned foam in my neck of the woods.
50%
of the deliveries I get are packed with peanuts. Takes two minutes to open
the package and 15 minutes to get all the static filled peanuts back in
the
box and sealed for disposal in the garbage.

I have a private mail box that accepts deliveries for me. I pack all my
peanuts, air filled plastic bags, etc. and give it to them. This effectively
recycles it and makes me points with my delivery/mail people.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita writes:
pat wrote:

On Jan 9, 12:41Â*pm, pat wrote:
The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work
Sharp 3000. Â*I would like to hear more from other owners or users of
this machine. Â*Sharpening for me is really a chore. Â*This sounds like
it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big
production deal that I just put off doing. Â*Pat

Thank you all who contributed to this post. You were very helpful. I
ordered it from Amazon on Saturday and it arrived today. I unpacked
it and found it to be very well packed with cardboard and no foam.
( what is this no foam deal? our town has forbidden foam cups and foam
food take out things. This isn't going national is it?)

Mistaken notion that this saves landfill space. The geniuses don't
realize that foam compresses to practically nothing; I think they have
these visions of cup-size spaces for each cup thrown in a landfill.

It has absolutely _nothing_ to do with landfill space. Most foams
(those made from corn starch excepted) don't biodegrade over time
and being made from petrochemical feedstocks, are both an inefficient use
of a limited resource (thus should be recycled) and a potential ground
water toxin.

1 square mile in kansas[*] could hold all the trash generated in the US
for the next couple of centuries without becoming full. Space is only
an issue in some localities.

scott
[*] just an example kansasians.