Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Radial saw chain mortiser attachment???

Anybody have or used one of these and any comments on how it did/does?

I have a bunch to do on the barn door restoration on end of the
crossbucks and frames. Did first few w/ the benchtop puppy reversed
on the stand and rigged up horizontally, but was _exceedingly_ slow.
But, don't really want the expenditure of a stationary dude so thought
perhaps the $250 or so from Wooddorker's Supply might not be too bad a
deal...

Any input or leads appreciated...

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...%20Saws&smode=

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I have never seen anything like this. It seems pretty limited in what it
can do. You would have to be doing something pretty specific to use it.

One problem I see is that you would need a sturdy table on the radial arm
saw. You would need a way to support the timbers. And a fair amount of
space around it as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Timber barns were several hundred feet long and often had branches.
They were at saw mills. The massive beams laid out for craftsmen
space to cut as needed. Massive bars and chisels were the tool.

Now the 'modern' barn builder and large earth quake buildings can chop
out deep holes and make repeatable (with more instruments) holes that
are tight.

The beam barn at San Lorenzo lumber in Felton Ca is an old example of
Red Wood beam barn.

Martin

Lee Michaels wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lee Michaels wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Space and support aren't a problem in this case and the size of pieces
is moderately small-2x8 (full dimension) 9-ft max length. The problem
is there's no convenient way w/ a conventional mortising machine and
there are a bunch of them (14/door if I'm counting right X 12 doors).

If it were reasonably well fabricated, w/ the radial arm flexibility
of angle and height I have no trouble envisioning to cut the variety
of positions needed so what I'm looking for is whether anybody has
actual experience on this or knows a reasonably-priced alternative.

As I noted in the original post, I dismounted the benchtop mortiser
from it's stand, rigged up a horizontal arrangement for it for the
first door. It worked but was only marginally faster than just hand
drilling and chopping cleanup by hand.

I'd love a full-blown chain mortiser, but just can't justify it...

Junior Member

I am looking at the same unit for a medium size project. Did you try it?
Did it work out well?