Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building the spruce goose OT and revisited

I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago. IIRC, he
and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were
wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does
anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it?
(or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimmy Mac wrote:
I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago.

"Cosmo Lengro". His brother was Mongo. One had the impression that
his other brothers were Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo.

IIRC, he
and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were
wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does
anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it?
(or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Jimmy Mac wrote:
I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago.

"Cosmo Lengro". His brother was Mongo. One had the impression that
his other brothers were Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo.

IIRC, he
and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were
wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does
anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it?
(or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

All I know is what I find with Google. Search google groups finds a
lot of messages ending in 1999. Doubt the Spruce Goose 2 ever flew.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Social Security: World's biggest Ponzi Scheme.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Jimmy Mac wrote:
I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago.

"Cosmo Lengro". His brother was Mongo. One had the impression that
his other brothers were Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo.

IIRC, he
and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were
wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does
anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it?
(or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

All I know is what I find with Google. Search google groups finds a
lot of messages ending in 1999. Doubt the Spruce Goose 2 ever flew.

Spruce Goose 1 barely flew.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 9:58*am, Jimmy Mac wrote:
I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago. *IIRC, he
and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were
wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. *Does
anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it?
(or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) * LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

Whenever anyone mentions the Spruce Goose, the discussion often ends
up with the Mosquito RAF bomber. AKA as 'The Timber Terror' or 'The
Wooden Wonder'.
One of my all-time favourite aircraft and one of the reasons wood is
my blood. (Those and the Morgan cars.) What you can't do with timber,
ply, and canvas.

Angela bought me a nice coffee-table book all about Ford's history of
'Woody's'
This one, although a Plymouth, is one of my favourite:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...thWoodness.jpg

Anyway, I digress. The Mosquito, equipped with 57 mm cannons , towards
the end of the war, would even take out submarines.
IMHO, de Havilland's best work (aside of course from the AVRO
Arrow...damned politics...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 3:00*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

By any chance, are you from Canada?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 10:28*pm, JohnD wrote:

By any chance, are you from Canada?

Give the winner here a banana!
Posted to rec.woodworking

JohnD wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:00 pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

But the Arrow was from Avro, not the DeHavilland. Not that it
matters, they're all gone now.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

Ah, I believe you mean "Due South"

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Stutzman wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named
Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

Ah, I believe you mean "Due South"

You're right. At least I remembered that there was a direction in the
title.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

I loved that show, but wasn't it called "Due South"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named
Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

I loved that show, but wasn't it called "Due South"?

At least I didn't confuse it with "Northern Exposure".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named
Diefenbaker.
Terrible name for a dog.

Entirely wrong kind of dog for that name.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/diefenbaker_cp_4738336.jpg

Geez, I may print that one out and use it for a Halloween mask.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking