James Brown

Default Varnishes

Mike G

Tried and True finishes work well but I don't find them any better or worse
then most other products on the market.

As for resisting poly, well, I'm not sure how to break this to you but poly
is just a super resined varnish.

Judging from the question, if I were you, I would be really careful how you
toss around the words "antique restoration". Someone with a really
expensive antique may become more then a bit miffed if they were to find,
based on the level of the question, that your restoration was merely a
refinishing that reduced the value of the antique to next to nothing.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"James Brown" wrote in message
I've about given up trying to find a decent Alkyd Oil Varnish any
more (thanks to our benevolent government), and I really resist the
switch to (bite my lip) polyurethanes. Anyone out there familiar with
the Tried and True line of finishing products? My interest is mainly
antique restoration, which I pursue as a Self-employed business. They
sound closer to a traditional finish, which is what I'm looking for, but
I've never used them.Any comments?

----

Swingman

"Mike G" wrote in message

Judging from the question, if I were you, I would be really careful how

you
toss around the words "antique restoration".

Not to mention that more than a few of the "antique restoration" folks I
know actually use shellac on a good deal of their work.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

Frank McVey

"James Brown" wrote in message
I've about given up trying to find a decent Alkyd Oil Varnish any
more (thanks to our benevolent government), and I really resist the
switch to (bite my lip) polyurethanes.

snip

You might also look at the Liberon range of finishing products.

http://www.rosiniantiques.com/catalog_c6567.html

Cheers

Frank