Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: 50 Strange Buildings of the World

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 03:54:38 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

How could they not include the Sydney Opera House?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built
these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

How could they not include the Sydney Opera House?

I guess that it wasn't unusual enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Walter" wrote in message
When I tried to send the site address to friends, AVAST detected a virus.
Anyone else have that problem?

No problem here.

I copied the addy directly from the website.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 1:05*pm, Walter wrote:
When I tried to send the site address to friends, AVAST detected a
virus. Anyone else have that problem?

W.

.. .
wrote:

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built
these
structures. *I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. *But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/
How could they not include the Sydney Opera House?

I guess that it wasn't unusual enough.

No. I'm on a Mac.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 3:54*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these
structures. *I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. *But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the
'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there
are the plug-ugly ones.
All were interesting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built
these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the
'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there
are the plug-ugly ones.
All were interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the
'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there
are the plug-ugly ones.
All were interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

I thought most were brilliant. It's nice to see the art having such
free expression.

You want to see expression, check out Dubai.
If I were a young architect, I would move there, now.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built
these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the
'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there
are the plug-ugly ones.
All were interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

The one in North Korea has never been completed. It was apparently to be
a monument to the first dictator. However, it has never been finished and
is not expected to ever be habitable. The estimated cost to finish it
would be 10% of North Korea's GDP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 9:28*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

* The one in North Korea has never been completed. *It was apparently to be
a monument to the first dictator. *However, it has never been finished and
is not expected to ever be habitable. *The estimated cost to finish it
would be 10% of North Korea's GDP. *

There was one from Russia with an interesting typo - the Wooden
Gagster House. They really meant the Wooden Gangster House, as it was
built by a notorious gangster, but gagster is also fitting.

The NeverWas Haul is listed as Berkley, CA, but the picture was taken
at Burning Man in the Nevada desert.

The Gehry's Stata Center at MIT is the subject of a $300 million
lawsuit.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._300m_complex/

Posted to rec.woodworking

The one that I liked was 43. National Theatre (Beijing, China) in part
ii. Generally, I don't like artsy fartsy buildings. I know I'd hate to
have to run a new phone line, cable line, or repair about anything in
most of those clap traps. Not that I don't appreciate the work and
artiness off the owners/builders/architects but I'm far happier looking
at it than having to build or live in any of it.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

-MIKE- wrote:
http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the
'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there
are the plug-ugly ones.
All were interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

I thought most were brilliant. It's nice to see the art having such
free expression.

You want to see expression, check out Dubai.
If I were a young architect, I would move there, now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 3:54*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these
structures. *I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. *But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Heh, heh. I didn't need any more reasons not to go to Pigeon Forge,
but that structure gave me one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these
structures. *I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. *But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

How could they not include the Sydney Opera House?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.nethttp://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

They missed the new Taubman Museum in downtown Roanoke, VA too. Talk
about out of place. I think two out of three Roanokers don't know
whether to shoot the architect or themselves after looking at it.

Kind of rough stuff for a guy who is still have trouble getting used
to Queen Anee Victorians.

I did like that Indian houseboat, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:54 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built
these
structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough
mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some
of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...-of-the-world/

Part 2

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-b...world-part-ii/

Heh, heh. I didn't need any more reasons not to go to Pigeon Forge,
but that structure gave me one.

You mean pancake houses, go kart tracks, 5 for $2 t-shirt shops and "as seen
on TV" stores aren't enough of a draw for you??? what kind of person *are*

jc