Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Power tools in the Kitchen?

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some cookies today and could not find any in the house.
How hard can it be to bake cookies? I like peanut butter cookies, I thought
I would give making them a try. Turns out, it is a lot more work than I
thought. If I had baked before, I might have been able to deduce that the
recipe was sized to make four thousand cookies and I could have reduced it.
I do remember watching my Mom make cookies when I was a young boy, and only
when it was too late did I realize I should have mixed the butter and sugar
first and not added the butter last. I broke the wooden spoon trying to mix
the butter with the peanut butter, sugar and eggs. I got out Katarina's toy
mixer, but it has no torque and was starting to give off a funny smell. I
was running through my mind what power tools I had that could help with
this. My DeWALT 300 RPM mixer drill was out on loan and my mortar mixing
paddle would take too long to clean anyway. Probably for the best, the
mortar paddle was not stainless steel, and who wants yellow paint in their
cookies. I found my Makita cordless drill. I blew it off with the compressor
and wiped it down. The mixer paddle was easy to chuck in the drill. I was
able to keep the RPM low and after trying unsuccessfully to mix in the
butter by hand for 15 minutes, I had it mixed in about three minutes. Since
the mixture was quite thick, I also used it to mix in the flour and other
dry ingredients.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/pbmix.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/pbbake.jpg

I filled the baking pan a number of times, and when all was said and done,
instead of trimming windows today, I spent 5 hours baking cookies. It would
have been slightly shorter if I had made sure I had all the ingredients
before I started and didn't have to run to Mom's for "Magic Baking Powder".

I took a couple containers of cookies to my folks tonight for them and my
sisters' family. I will be taking bags of them to work for the next little
bit, so free cookies will be on the counter at Fed Tool for the next several
years.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
news
[...]

If I tried something like that at my house I would be SHOT!

David, I am dissapointed with you. Using some fancy, cordless drill to mix
cookies. Aren't you the guy who rehabilitates big iron? Surely you could
have converted some big WW I machine to do this task! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Send some to Baltimore.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi de Hi there friends and neighbors
I too have brought power tools to the food service, first using a
sawzall to split and quarter deer. In the last year I started making
venison sausage and balogna, it started getting so darn spendy to get
the stuff made, so I made a smoker outta an old fridge (also used for
smoking salmon and trout) had a electric meat grinder but didn't do a
very good job at stuffing
so last fall purchased one with a little more h.p.
next problem how to mix the meat with spices and pork cut in. meat mixer
was kinda high priced so I pulled out my 1/2" variable speed drill with
a mud paddle and 5 gal bucket, maybe not the greatest method but cost
effective. I do about 25 lbs to batch, did 6 batchs for self and others
this passed season.
can't wait til summer so's I can go catch some trout and salmon again.
happy new year everyone
Ross (aquahalic)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in
[...]

I threatened several times to buy my mother a drill press to use as a
mixer. The way I see it, those kind of tools are designed to run for 15
minutes straight to mix marshmallows (you're sorely deprived if you
haven't had homemade) unlike the cheap ones you get everywhere anymore.

Got her a Kitchenade stand mixer a few years ago, and she's enjoyed it
ever since. No holes have been drilled yet, though. ;-)

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

A spokeshave with a little elbow grease would have sufficed, methinks ...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

[...]

Why bother with the kitchen? Drag the mixing bowl over to the Bridgeport.
Fire 'em in the glazing kiln.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When the Pharmacology Lab next to mine wore out their expensive "LAB
GRADE" tissue homogenizer drive unit I recommended that they replace
it with a drill press so I went to the local Delta dealer and selected
one with the speed range they needed and they bought it. Saved a lot
of money and I think it looks a lot more impressive than the official
machinery. Also, the drill press was much easier to use.
Marc
(who still wants cookies)