DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/267482-where-keep-tiny-allen-wrench.html)

Lowell Holmes December 25th 08 05:21 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

-MIKE- December 25th 08 05:38 PM

Lowell Holmes wrote:
Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

I don't know about something that little, however, it may be possible to
replace whatever it is with something that can be hand/finger tightened.

For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made. Allen wrenches, box wrenches, whatever is
needed to make any adjustment is there so i don't have to go looking for
it. I also mark with a sharpie, the size of the nut or set screw for
each adjustment, right next to it on the machine.

It's amazing how much time and frustration that can save.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Lew Hodgett[_5_] December 25th 08 05:58 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

Subject

In the shelf box labeled "Allen Keys" where all the other allen keys
are kept so they don't get lonely.G

Lew

Swingman December 25th 08 06:24 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
Subject

In the shelf box labeled "Allen Keys" where all the other allen keys are
kept so they don't get lonely.G

Exactly! ... Every Allen wrench for the last 30 years has gone into one box,
and, as a result, I know where every Allen wrench for every tool I own, or
have ever owned, is.

It takes some sorting on occasion to grab the right one, but at least I know
it's in that box, and nowhere else.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Lew Hodgett[_5_] December 25th 08 06:45 PM

"Swingman" wrote:

Exactly! ... Every Allen wrench for the last 30 years has gone into
one box, and, as a result, I know where every Allen wrench for every
tool I own, or have ever owned, is.

It takes some sorting on occasion to grab the right one, but at
least I know it's in that box, and nowhere else.

I forgot.

These days the box is divided into two compartments.

One is for metric.

Lew

Nova December 25th 08 07:12 PM

Lowell Holmes wrote:
Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

It depends...

Are you into body piercing? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Mark & Juanita December 25th 08 09:48 PM

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden
spokeshave (Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or
sharpening is required?

What I did with the Allen wrench that came with my Knight smoothing plane
was to shape a wood shoe on which to store the plane that had a notch cut
out to keep the blade from contacting the surface and a hole drilled in one
end into which I put the Allen wrench. You could probably do something
similar for the spokeshave

Lowell Holmes December 25th 08 10:31 PM

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden
spokeshave (Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or
sharpening is required?

What I did with the Allen wrench that came with my Knight smoothing plane
was to shape a wood shoe on which to store the plane that had a notch cut
out to keep the blade from contacting the surface and a hole drilled in
one
end into which I put the Allen wrench. You could probably do something
similar for the spokeshave

That might work. Thanks.

B A R R Y December 25th 08 10:37 PM

Lowell Holmes wrote:
Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

In the drawer with the rest of the allen wrenches that came with tools.

;^)

Father Haskell December 25th 08 10:39 PM

On Dec 25, 12:38*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Lowell Holmes wrote:
Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

I don't know about something that little, however, it may be possible to
replace whatever it is with something that can be hand/finger tightened.

For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. *Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made. *Allen wrenches, box wrenches, whatever is
needed to make any adjustment is there so i don't have to go looking for
it. *I also mark with a sharpie, the size of the nut or set screw for
each adjustment, right next to it on the machine.

It's amazing how much time and frustration that can save.

Magnetic bases from old CB antennas make good
tool hangers / parts holders.

B A R R Y December 25th 08 10:42 PM

-MIKE- wrote:

For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made.

I do the same with dollar store baskets:

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

-MIKE- December 25th 08 11:16 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made.

I do the same with dollar store baskets:

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets
alone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Lee Michaels December 25th 08 11:58 PM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made.

I do the same with dollar store baskets:

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets
alone.

There a whole catagory of school supplies called "locker organizers". They
are usually made of plastic and designed to hang off of the side of a metal
locker with internal magnets. I got a bunch of them. Some for the shop and
others in my office attached to the file cabinet next to my desk.

-MIKE- December 26th 08 12:45 AM

Lee Michaels wrote:
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets
alone.

There a whole catagory of school supplies called "locker organizers". They
are usually made of plastic and designed to hang off of the side of a metal
locker with internal magnets. I got a bunch of them. Some for the shop and
others in my office attached to the file cabinet next to my desk.

How are the magnets, strength-wise?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

John O. Kopf December 26th 08 02:28 AM

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden
spokeshave (Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or
sharpening is required?

If the handle is wooden, drill an axial hole (i.e., along the length) of
the handle, that's a press fit for the Allen wrench shaft.

John Kopf

Lee Michaels December 26th 08 02:36 AM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets
alone.

There a whole catagory of school supplies called "locker organizers".
They are usually made of plastic and designed to hang off of the side of
a metal locker with internal magnets. I got a bunch of them. Some for
the shop and others in my office attached to the file cabinet next to my
desk.

How are the magnets, strength-wise?

Pretty strong considering they were only intended to hold up school
supplies. I am sure that they are are good for a pound or two. Depends on
the manufacturer, of course. Quality varies widely for items like this. I
picked mine up at a big box office supply store.

If you want to test them, just take the item over to a metal file cabinet
and try it out. These aren't going to hold up heavy items. But small tools,
etc., they should do just fine.

I am looking at a pencil/misc. holder right now. It has two big scissors,
about twenty pens and a couple big rulers in it. I still have to tug it a
bit to get it off the file cabinet.

Lowell Holmes December 26th 08 03:28 AM

"John O. Kopf" wrote in message

Lowell Holmes wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden
spokeshave (Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or
sharpening is required?

If the handle is wooden, drill an axial hole (i.e., along the length) of
the handle, that's a press fit for the Allen wrench shaft.

John Kopf

I've had that in mind, but have been hesitant to drill holes in my new toy.
The Allen wrench is 1/16 or so, the hole would not have to be large. I can
experiment with a scrap to determine the proper hole size.

-MIKE- December 26th 08 06:23 AM

Lowell Holmes wrote:
I've had that in mind, but have been hesitant to drill holes in my new toy.
The Allen wrench is 1/16 or so, the hole would not have to be large. I can
experiment with a scrap to determine the proper hole size.

Do you have a military mindset in your workshop: "A place for
everything, and every thing in its place?"

If so, just keep an extra 1/16 allen wrench in/on the same drawer,
shelf, box, right next to the spokeshave.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

B A R R Y December 26th 08 01:53 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls
stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every
adjustment that can be made.

I do the same with dollar store baskets:

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/428

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets
alone.

They can... G

The magnets often need to glued, as the Chinese factory can be hit and
miss. I had some that fell off the tool, leaving all the magnets still
stuck on the tool.

Larger holes, to allow a screwdriver shaft or wrench handle to hang
through, are easily made with wire cutters.

Phisherman[_2_] December 26th 08 02:44 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:21:12 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

If you find you need that allen wrench everytime you use your
spokeshave, make a wooden custom storage box for both items. In the
meantime, keep both spokeshave and wrench in the orginal box. It
might help to mark the special wrench with a dab of bright nail
polish--small allen wrenches can hide.

Lowell Holmes December 26th 08 02:52 PM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Do you have a military mindset in your workshop: "A place for everything,
and every thing in its place?"

If so, just keep an extra 1/16 allen wrench in/on the same drawer, shelf,
box, right next to the spokeshave.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

No military mindset here. Everything does have it's place though. The
problem is that items that while rarely used items are always in their
place,that my age I don't always remember where that is. :-)

I'll keep an extra wrench around just in case.

mac davis[_5_] December 26th 08 04:38 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:21:12 GMT, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave
(Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is
required?

I use a lot of stuff on the lathe that use different size allen wrenches, so I
have a dedicated magnetic tool holder over the workbench for them..

I try to either label the place they go or stick the extra bits or whatever near
them, so I can just reach for the one that I need..
The other option is to open the drawer on the tool chest and find the right size
in the pile of allen wrenches, but that just takes too much time if it's a tool
that you use often..
For things that I use a LOT, like the olan tools or hollowing tools, I stick
those wrenches on rare earth magnets on the lathe stand.. YMWV

Did Santa bring those spoke shaves for trimming your Baltic birch? lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

-MIKE- December 26th 08 05:29 PM

Lowell Holmes wrote:
No military mindset here. Everything does have it's place though. The
problem is that items that while rarely used items are always in their
place,that my age I don't always remember where that is. :-)

Last time I cleaned my shop, I couldn't find a darn thing. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Upscale December 26th 08 06:42 PM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Last time I cleaned my shop, I couldn't find a darn thing. :-)

Of course not! The only time a workshop gets cleaned up is when someone is
tired of looking for something and that's exactly when you're most unable to
find it/them.

MikeWhy December 26th 08 06:54 PM

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Do you have a military mindset in your workshop: "A place for everything,
and every thing in its place?"

If so, just keep an extra 1/16 allen wrench in/on the same drawer, shelf,
box, right next to the spokeshave.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

No military mindset here. Everything does have it's place though. The
problem is that items that while rarely used items are always in their
place,that my age I don't always remember where that is. :-)

I'll keep an extra wrench around just in case.

Clip one to each tape measure? That way, you'll be sure to find a tape
measure, the one missing the allen key, when you want to adjust the shave.

B A R R Y December 26th 08 07:28 PM

Upscale wrote:

Of course not! The only time a workshop gets cleaned up is when someone is
tired of looking for something and that's exactly when you're most unable to
find it/them.

Confession time... I used to work that way, not really bad, but messy
enough. Then, my wife became a fan of the show "Clean House"!

Over the last several years, I've gotten myself into the habit of
putting _everything_ away at the end of _every_ session, and normalling
(slipping in a little sound mixer speak! G) all stationary tools.

I've rearranged the shop into short and long term storage (hot and
cold), with the short term storage as close as possible to where the
item is used. Why was my HVLP rig stored in the main work area? I even
got rid of stuff I'll honestly never use again, including some tools.

All the scraps get picked up and filed, and in-progress parts get
grouped, shrink wrapped, and labeled. I leave myself to-do lists for
the next session.

I used to call people who did this "anal". Now I realize how little
time it takes to do, 5-10 minutes per session (one to two beers!), and
the extra time the habit creates.

I'm not anal, though! 'cause I only vacuum once a month! G

Nova December 26th 08 07:52 PM

B A R R Y wrote:

[...]

I like to try and keep things neat as I work, but when you're up to your
neck in alligators...

I've just spent four hours putting away and organizing the top of my
workbench. I can now use the bench. I'm going to have to come up with
a better storage system as I've run out of room to put thing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Upscale December 26th 08 08:05 PM

"Nova" wrote in message
I've just spent four hours putting away and organizing the top of my
workbench. I can now use the bench. I'm going to have to come up with
a better storage system as I've run out of room to put thing.

My most enduring problem is the myriad of nuts, bolts and screws that hide
in little pill bottles all over the place. Yup, I've got several of those 64
drawer mini storage things, but the little plastic bottles still multiply
exponentially because there's always more categories of things to store than
there are drawers.

My current plan is to buy some storage that could be considered a little
more along the professional line. The ones I have in mind are more solid,
have better partition capabilities and the best part is that they nest
together. I can buy and add to them as I wish and they'll all match, unlike
my four different versions of 64 drawer thingies that stand out so much
because they're all so different.

Puckdropper[_2_] December 26th 08 08:37 PM

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

-MIKE- wrote in news:gj349q$v6t$2
@news.motzarella.org:

Last time I cleaned my shop, I couldn't find a darn thing. :-)

Cleaning (verb): (a) Removing the dust from something, such as your short
term memory. (b) Hiding things from yourself. (c) The act of moving things
in order to destroy one's short to medium term memories of item location.

See also: Organization

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Robatoy[_2_] December 26th 08 08:54 PM

On Dec 26, 2:28*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Upscale wrote:

Of course not! The only time a workshop gets cleaned up is when someone is
tired of looking for something and that's exactly when you're most unable to
find it/them.

Confession time... *I used to work that way, not really bad, but messy
enough. *Then, my wife became a fan of the show "Clean House"!

I am in the countertop business. Yes.. shock to all.
What that means, is that when I am on my back, popping screws upwards
into the bottom of a countertop, that the screw I reach for, from the
container, is indeed the length of screw I want. There has been a $
500 difference between the 1-1/4 and the 1-1/2 before. The 1-1/2
popped right through the laminate. OR so I'm told.

When I pick up a screw from the floor, it goes into the garbage....
NOT back into the screw box. My guys are instructed in no uncertain
term to do the same.
In fact, the 1-1/4 screws live between the 2 and 3 inch screws. All by
themselves.
The 1-1/2 screws live between the washers and 3/4" screws.
It all makes sense when you think about it. If I can buy 1000 screws
for $ 20.00, why gamble with a $ 1000.00 countertop?

I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the
router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next? (If it
isn't, you still haven't wasted any time.) If there is a bit that
constantly get switched back and forth.. I buy another router. They're
cheap enough and that way the precision routers get less work and let
the HF crap do the dirty work.

When a router gets used, it goes back to where it came from. That way
EVERYbodyin the shop knows where it is and it stops that
'wherethefukkizzit' look... which annoys me because I PAY for that
look.

When I reach for a tool that is supposed to be in a certain place and
it is not...that is okay if it is being used. If it is not being used,
I get real ****y. And when I am ****y, it doesn't take long for the
rest of the guys to start feeling ****y, because it only takes minutes
of my day to ruin somebody else's rest-of-the-day.

In all fairness, they are all getting it now.

The one thing I still have a real problem with, is cut-offs. At what
point do I keep it, in what configuration, in what colour...yadda
yadda. "Wow, this is a nice colour to make a pen out of."
Then, in my best Lewis Black imitation; " But Nobody IS going to MAKE
a PEN out of THIS!"
It then hits the garbage can. Invariably followed by: "Are you
throwing that out??"

B A R R Y December 26th 08 09:09 PM

Upscale wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message
I've just spent four hours putting away and organizing the top of my
workbench. I can now use the bench. I'm going to have to come up with
a better storage system as I've run out of room to put thing.

My most enduring problem is the myriad of nuts, bolts and screws that hide
in little pill bottles all over the place.

I gotta' admit...

I gave a bunch of that stuff away. What nobody wanted got recycled.

B A R R Y December 26th 08 09:12 PM

Robatoy wrote:

I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the
router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next? (If it
isn't, you still haven't wasted any time.)

A very interesting concept!

We leave the NY Sectional Chart out in the airplane...

Upscale December 26th 08 09:26 PM

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the
router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next?

Depends on how much time is wasted looking in the drill index for a bit that
is still in the drill or having to remove the existing drill bit, put it in
the drill index and chucking a different size. Guess it depends on how often
a particular size is use AND how ****y your are with your rules.

Then, in my best Lewis Black imitation; " But Nobody IS going to MAKE
a PEN out of THIS!" It then hits the garbage can.

Bet you have an IP camera permanently trained on that garbage can ~ don't
you?

Robatoy[_2_] December 26th 08 09:49 PM

On Dec 26, 4:26*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the
router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next?

Depends on how much time is wasted looking in the drill index for a bit that
is still in the drill or having to remove the existing drill bit, put it in
the drill index and chucking a different size.

But if you look in the drill first?

Guess it depends on how often
a particular size is use AND how ****y your are with your rules.

Very ****y. I pay for that right. And ****y does not equal
unreasonable.

Bet you have an IP camera permanently trained on that garbage can ~ don't
you?

Naa.. I trust my guys.

Upscale December 26th 08 09:53 PM

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Bet you have an IP camera permanently trained on that garbage
can ~ don't you?

Naa.. I trust my guys.

Yup, and I trust my cat not to go rummaging in the garbage can, but I still
put the lid on it. :)

Upscale December 26th 08 09:54 PM

I guess that all depends on whether you're the ****er or the ****ee.

[email protected] December 26th 08 10:51 PM

On Dec 26, 3:54 pm, Robatoy wrote:

When I pick up a screw from the floor, it goes into the garbage....
NOT back into the screw box. My guys are instructed in no uncertain
term to do the same.

I measure them against one from the bin before putting them back.

The one thing I still have a real problem with, is cut-offs. At what
point do I keep it, in what configuration, in what colour...yadda
yadda. "Wow, this is a nice colour to make a pen out of."
Then, in my best Lewis Black imitation; " But Nobody IS going to MAKE
a PEN out of THIS!"
It then hits the garbage can. Invariably followed by: "Are you
throwing that out??"

I have half a wall of stacking bins, up to workbench height. For my
most common species I have one for 3/4" and up and one for thins.
Less common have one bin, and really uncommon get mixed together into
one. If it doesn't fit in the bin either it goes in the trash or
something else has to come out of the bin into the trash to make it
fit. I sometimes bend the rules and pile up some scraps on the floor
or somewhere until it's time to clean up, but when I clean up that's
it. It also makes a good place to stack up some boards on top out of
the way.