DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to make a standard thread hole in wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/267445-how-make-standard-thread-hole-wood.html)

[email protected] December 24th 08 08:24 PM

How to make a standard thread hole in wood

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

[email protected] December 24th 08 08:51 PM

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:24:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

the standard broomstick thread (in the U.S., at least) fits perfectly
into a standard 1/2" PVC threaded pipe.

see
http://www.snakegetters.com/equip/pinners-howto.html

Nova December 25th 08 12:31 AM

How to make a standard thread hole in wood

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:24:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

The standard for wood threading is the Beall Wood Treader. It works
best with harder woods.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/th...g/threader.php

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

BobK207 December 25th 08 01:12 AM

On Dec 24, 12:24*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. *Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? *I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. *There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. *Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. *Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

As mentioned by the other post a 1/2" pipe thread might work
but..............

broom handle threads are ACME style threads, the most common being
3/4"

of course being broom handles & not going on the space shuttle the
care & tolerances in mfg are pretty sloppy so fit up between devices
is pretty "hit or miss"

here's a link to a handle company

http://www.whitleyhandle.com/whitley..._products.html

and a discussion on an engineering forum
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=153052

cheers
Bob

dadiOH[_3_] December 25th 08 11:21 AM

wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Assuming you can't find a proper thread tap...

1. Drill an oversized hole in your block of wood

2. Fill hole with Bondo (auto body filler)

3. Rub vaseline on the threads of a pole

4. Stick threaded pole in center of hole

5. Let Bondo harden

6. Unscrew pole

7. Enjoy your new threaded hols

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Jay Pique December 25th 08 02:02 PM

On Dec 25, 6:21*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

1. Drill an oversized hole in your block of wood

2. Fill hole with Bondo (auto body filler)

3. Rub vaseline on the threads of a pole

4. Stick threaded pole in center of hole

5. Let Bondo harden

6. Unscrew pole

7. Enjoy your new threaded hols

That's a very slick method - I've never heard of it, but will
definitely try it.

My thought was that if he can just cut off an inch or so of pole and
rethread it to match whatever tap he goes with.

JP

[email protected] December 25th 08 10:16 PM

How to make a standard thread hole in wood

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:24:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

Not much help, but many years ago, a friend bought a machine at an
estate sale for under $100 that was able to make a standard threaded
hole as well as thread the end of a pole to match. He bought it just
because he thought it was a clever little machine.

The machine was slightly larger than a sawhorse.

I wish he still had it, as I could find uses for it.

Father Haskell December 25th 08 10:33 PM

On Dec 24, 3:24*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. *Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? *I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. *There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. *Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. *Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Make a "helicoil" insert from wire.