Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood working plans

I decided to quit procrasting and build my daughter a spinning wheel.
Looked over the internet and saw a nice Saxon type wheen at
WoodCraftPlans.com. The price was not bad ($14.95) so I ordered the small
wheel and the larger one. Two things about these plans

1) They are not plans just two pages of mechanical drawings. There is no
parts layout (though there is a parts list, which has an error in it), no
detailed pictures of how things go together and no full size layout of the
indiviudal pieces AND SOME OF THIS STUFF IS CRITICAL.

2) When you call for help, Dad is willing and helpful - to a degree. Son,
who evidently now owns the business, is somewhat less so. Neither are
fully up to speed on their plans.

Just a word to the wise.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

1) They are not plans just two pages of mechanical drawings. There
is no
parts layout (though there is a parts list, which has an error in
it), no
detailed pictures of how things go together and no full size layout
of the
indiviudal pieces AND SOME OF THIS STUFF IS CRITICAL.

2) When you call for help, Dad is willing and helpful - to a degree.
Son,
who evidently now owns the business, is somewhat less so. Neither
are
fully up to speed on their plans.

As a guy, who in another life, spent a fair amount of time on the
drafting board, I'm a little puzzled.

If you were provided with mechanical drawings having at least 3 views,
you have a full set of plans.

If you were expecting exploded view isometric drawings, now that is a
different can of worms.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

[...]

Yes to the latter. I was expecting a set with all parts shown full size -
but have enough experience to figure most things out. But some things are
not intuitive, like the wheel. The joint on the wheel rim is a miter, but
the pieces are cut at 14 3/4" to make a 20 3/4" wheel. What you need to do
is lay the pieces on the drawing and figure out where to clip the corners
(which I did on the "second" set of rim pieces I cut :-( )

The first of what you refered to is correct, except on this set there are
not full drawings of some critical points and you have to stop, study,
figure and guess. Sometimes the most critical items are the least clear.
But it is not something that you cannot work through, by taking it slow and
easy.

The whole reason for the original post was for to alert beginning
woodworkers who might be looking for a set of "plans." (i.e., full size
parts layout, etc.). These ain't them.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

The first of what you refered to is correct, except on this set
there are
not full drawings of some critical points and you have to stop,
study,
figure and guess. Sometimes the most critical items are the least
clear.
But it is not something that you cannot work through, by taking it
slow and
easy.

The whole reason for the original post was for to alert beginning
woodworkers who might be looking for a set of "plans." (i.e., full
size
parts layout, etc.). These ain't them.

Way back when, courses in "blue print reading" were considered as an
integral part of industrial arts training.

Mechanical scale drawings were considered to be a means of written
communication between the designer and the builder.

The advent of computer technology has brought major changes to the
medium.(Isometrics and exploded views are much easier to produce)

As far as full size drawings are concerned, be pretty difficult for
anything other than small items.

OTOH, full size cross section detail drawings can be very useful.

Hope you had fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

[...]

Yes, and I have learned a thing or two. So, all in all, it has been a
benefical experience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem reading the drawing, it is just
that it could use a few more views for clarity.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem reading the drawing, it
is just
that it could use a few more views for clarity.

Think of it as grunt workG.

You learn to appreciate it after the factG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
The whole reason for the original post was for to alert beginning
woodworkers who might be looking for a set of "plans." (i.e., full size
parts layout, etc.). These ain't them.

Deb

You have to read (and understand) the fine print. If you see "measured
drawing) it is not a full size plan and will have to be scaled up using grid
paper. Like you, I prefer full sized when practical, for odd shaped or
intricate parts.

HINT: If you think you will ever make a second copy of the project, make
templates from 1/8" hardboard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a heads up...

Even though you have the parts right, and all the subassemblies
constructed to fit together....

There is a lot of art to making and using a spinning wheel. My siste
did a lot of spinning, and had to do a lot of tuning of a boughten
wheel, that was supposed to be a good one.

If you can, might be a good idea to have a spinner review the
critical parts with you.

Old Guy