Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 262

In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100%
sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 5:05*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100%
sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

OK, here we go!

1483: I think its either for holding lab materials (test tubes etc) or
else 16 little shot glasses and four small decanters of whisky.

1484: A throwing blade

1485: Coal tongs? Probably not....

1486: This looks like a tool from the movie industry for triming the
sides of movie reels to a standard width.

1487: OOh, I know this one. Its for aerating the grass on golf greens.
You put these on and walk around the green. I suppose you could ruin
the day of a mole or two along the way....

1488; Hmmm nice one. No idea at all...at first I thought it was some
sort of device for packing the thread tight when weaving, but the
threads throw me off. I look forward to discovering this one.

OK. let the games begin.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not
100% sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1484 looks like a throwing knife.

1487 is a lawn aerator (I have a pair exactly like it, in better shape than
that one g)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not
100% sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1483 is called a Tantalus. It's a sort of Victorian liquor cabinet that is
meant to keep your servants out of your Sherry.
1484 as already mentioned, is a throwing knife.

I think 1486 is a rag slitter for cutting up strips of cloth to make rag
rugs.

And I believe 1488 is the squeegee that Superman uses to clean the windows
at the fortress of solitude.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 11, 10:46*pm, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

1483 is called a Tantalus. It's a sort of Victorian liquor cabinet that is
meant to keep your servants out of your Sherry.

He's right, by golly! :-) How'd you know that?

http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_...t/tantalus.htm (halfway
down)

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

1483 is called a Tantalus. It's a sort of Victorian liquor cabinet that is
meant to keep your servants out of your Sherry.

He's right, by golly! :-) How'd you know that?

http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_...t/tantalus.htm (halfway
down)

--riverman

I repair antique metalwork for a living.
The hinges on these are invariably made out of 32 ga sheet brass folded
around a pin. They don't last too long.

The keys are usually missing as well.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

1483 is called a Tantalus. It's a sort of Victorian liquor cabinet
that is meant to keep your servants out of your Sherry.

He's right, by golly! :-) How'd you know that?

http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_...t/tantalus.htm (halfway
down)

--riverman

I repair antique metalwork for a living.
The hinges on these are invariably made out of 32 ga sheet brass
folded around a pin. They don't last too long.

The keys are usually missing as well.

Paul K. Dickman

Looks like one might be a fun project sometime.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100%
sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Well, I hope somebody else can provide some help, as I'm fairly certain
I cannot. These are my guesses, some far less educated than others.

1483 - The circular cutouts would seem to hold small bottles, and the
squared sections could hold larger bottle or some sort of random
implements. I'd guess that this may be for apothecary supplies, for one
who might have need of compounding their own medications or have to
serve as a doctor in some rather limited capacity. I'd assume a
full-time druggist would have a wider selection of ingredients and
require larger quantities than would fit in here.

1484 - A throwing knife

1485 - Tongs for, ummm...maybe holding e.g. a goat's horn while
dehorning? It doesn't appear that the blades could possibly close
together enough for crimping something.

1486 - Rotary shear, presumably for sheet metal, perhaps specialized to
also put some sort of a folded edge on the metal for something like
forming seams on roofing.

1487 - Shoe attachment for aerating lawns as one walks about doing
chores. Probably very annoying to use, especially to one not accustomed
to it.

1488 - Rather a strange implement. It may be used for some decorative
application (wood graining, etc) by putting various brushes or scribers
in selected holes. It does seem that if e.g. a brush with merely
replaceable bristles was desired, there would be far simpler and less
fiddly ways of achieving that than to have some many individually
threaded holes.

Now to read the other ideas....

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100%
sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

1483: Jewelry box

1484: letter opener

1485: Barbed wire tongs

1486: Single-slice bread slicer

1487: Glacier-walking sole piece

1488: World's most overengineered squeegee handle.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1483 is called a Tantalus...

Thanks! I thought it was either an apothecary box or for holding alcohol
but I wasn't sure which, and thanks to riverman for the link, I'll use that
on the answer page.

-----

I've got a number of photos that I don't plan to post on the web site for
one reason or another, and figured I would go ahead and post some of them
here on the newsgroups.

A. 30" tall x 14" wide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA2.jpg

B. Someone sent this in looking to find out what it is, 8" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageBa.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-11, Rob H. wrote:
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100%
sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1483) Hmm ... I *think* that there should be a balance in the
housing. It looks to me like something which would be used to
carry the ingredients and tools for making medications. Small
glass bottles in the racks on the side doors, and packets of dry
chemicals in the bottom square compartments, while the long ones
under the side racks are probably for mixing tools.

If it were taller, and if the rack holders were a bit smaller, I
would suggest that it was for a microscope, with the racks to
hold spare eyepieces of differing strengths.

1484) I think that is a balanced throwing knife -- perhaps as used
in theatrical productions.

1485) Looks like a tool made by a blacksmith. Perhaps for holding
a hot piece as he works on it.

I know that I don't want it holding any part of *me*. :-)

1486) For cutting cloth to make ribbons of a constant width, I think.

1487) For traction in very muddy soil? It looks as though it straps
on over the user's toe, and has a clamp in the back to hold the
heel in place.

1488) I think that a series of pointed pieces screw in, but exactly
what it is to comb I don't know.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 9:40*am, "Rob H." wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1483 is called a Tantalus...

Thanks! *I thought it was either an apothecary box or for holding alcohol
but I wasn't sure which, and thanks to riverman for the link, I'll use that
on the answer page.

-----

I've got a number of photos that I don't plan to post on the web site for
one reason or another, and figured I would go ahead and post some of them
here on the newsgroups.

A. *30" tall x 14" wide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA2.jpg

B. Someone sent this in looking to find out what it is, 8" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageBa.jpg

Rob

The second one is an asian porcelain pillow. I haven't seen one
exactly like it (with the holes) but the size and shape are very
consistent. Probably this is for summertime use (the holes make it
cooler).
Google 'porcelain pillow' and see lots of examples.

The other seems like a display case for something...the seafaring
motif makes me think of a big ship in a bottle or something. The
rather dull base throws me off, though.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

The second one is an asian porcelain pillow. I haven't seen one
exactly like it (with the holes) but the size and shape are very
consistent. Probably this is for summertime use (the holes make it
cooler).

I believe this is correct, and I think you are right about the holes making
it cooler, though I did some searching and couldn't find any similar ones.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 10:05*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
The second one is an asian porcelain pillow. I haven't seen one
exactly like it (with the holes) but the size and shape are very
consistent. Probably this is for summertime use (the holes make it
cooler).

I believe this is correct, and I think you are right about the holes making
it cooler, though I did some searching and couldn't find any similar ones..

Rob

I also can't find any examples. But it might also be for allowing
incense fumes out.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message

-----

I've got a number of photos that I don't plan to post on the web site for
one reason or another, and figured I would go ahead and post some of them
here on the newsgroups.

A. 30" tall x 14" wide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageA2.jpg

B. Someone sent this in looking to find out what it is, 8" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageBa.jpg

Rob

Don't know what the first one is for, but I can tell you that it isn't old.
The stand isn't from it. It's a cast iron lamp base, probably off a bridge
lamp from the 20's.
The top is investment cast with no chasing done afterwards and a crappy job
of removing the sprues.
This indicates manufacture with a high level of technical sophistication but
no concept of craftsmanship.
Definately post war, probably post 70's, possibly last week.

As for the second one, I concur that it is probably a headrest of some sort.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not
100% sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1483 I would guess its a box for storing pipes and other pipe smoking
articles.
1484 It looks like the kind of throwing knife that the entertainment people
use.
1485 obviously some kind of gripper but couldn't guess its precise use.
1486 looks like a tin cutter (I used to make something similar but without
the fence) I would say from the highly polished surfaces though that its
probably for cutting leather or other material other than metal.
1487 snow grip for strapping onto your shoe.
1488 no idea

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1488 no idea

Best suggestion that I've heard on this tool is that it's a carpet stretcher
that is missing the sharp points that would fit into the holes, but I
haven't been able to verify this guess.

The rest of the answers have been posted:

http://answers262a.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 4:24*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
1488 no idea

Best suggestion that I've heard on this tool is that it's a carpet stretcher
that is missing the sharp points that would fit into the holes, but I
haven't been able to verify this guess.

Can you find out the spacing between holes? Are the marks in the
center of the holes, or the center-to-center distance *between* the
holes? Or offset from the center - just can't tell from the
pictures. Also - what is the threading of the holes? Is this made
from aluminum?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Best suggestion that I've heard on this tool is that it's a carpet
stretcher
that is missing the sharp points that would fit into the holes, but I
haven't been able to verify this guess.

Can you find out the spacing between holes? Are the marks in the
center of the holes, or the center-to-center distance *between* the
holes? Or offset from the center - just can't tell from the
pictures. Also - what is the threading of the holes? Is this made
from aluminum?

Both the holes and lines are spaced at 1/4", in the photo below you can see
that the lines are centered on the holes, in reference to the photo the
owner says "seems like it's supposed to be held like this":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/pic1488d.jpg

I'm starting to back off of the carpet stretcher idea, if that were the case
I don't think the lines would server any purpose. Others have suggested
that the missing parts could have been markers for drawing lines on paper or
a blackboard, there are sufficient spaces to make the lines any distance
apart needed.

I'll ask the owner about the threading and what the tool is made from.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:44:55 -0500, Rob H. wrote:

I'm starting to back off of the carpet stretcher idea, if that were
the case I don't think the lines would server any purpose. Others
have suggested that the missing parts could have been markers for
drawing lines on paper or a blackboard, there are sufficient spaces
to make the lines any distance apart needed.

I'll ask the owner about the threading and what the tool is made
from.

I don't think it would be for writing on a chalkboard. The music staff
liners I've seen don't use threading, as this would be murder on the
chalk. See
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Grossman-Music-Chalkboard-Staff-Liner?sku=910017
for an example.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 10:19*pm, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking that its for scoring some sort of lines. I imagine the
holes being fitted with little pointed inserts, and as they wear down
the user can adjust them by turning them in the threaded inserts.

Either that, or maybe some sort of squeegee that has a screw-on blade.
I figure its made of aluminum so as to be non-conductive...maybe a
specialized tool for working on high rise buildings. I'm imagining a
scenarip where all the tools are made of nonconductive materials in
case of a storm.

These are just guesses....I'm lost on this one. Are there any more
clues? What does the other side of the handle look like (is it
possible that there is a different way to hold it?) How about the base
of the handle, and I could use a good look at the screw holes to see
if there is any evidence of damage from a screwdriver bumping the
holes while adjusting the inserts.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
humunculus wrote:
[...]

You'd lose on -that- "figuring". Aluminum is actually quite a _good_ conductor
of electricity. Most high-voltage power transmission lines are made of
it, in point of fact.

...maybe a
specialized tool for working on high rise buildings. I'm imagining a
scenarip where all the tools are made of nonconductive materials in
case of a storm.

These are just guesses....I'm lost on this one.

An off-the-wall guess -- a hand-forming tool for making corrugated cardboard,
or similar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Are there any more clues? What does the other side of the handle look like
(is it
possible that there is a different way to hold it?) How about the base
of the handle, and I could use a good look at the screw holes to see
if there is any evidence of damage from a screwdriver bumping the
holes while adjusting the inserts.

--riverman

The person who sent the photos has posted them on Flickr, they can be seen
he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guero/3...7610521433922/

I think I've posted all but the last one, but you might be able to see
larger versions than what was on my site.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-13, humunculus wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm thinking that its for scoring some sort of lines. I imagine the
holes being fitted with little pointed inserts, and as they wear down
the user can adjust them by turning them in the threaded inserts.

That may be -- and possibly you can remove inserts to make skips
in the pattern.

Either that, or maybe some sort of squeegee that has a screw-on blade.
I figure its made of aluminum so as to be non-conductive.

Umm ... where did you find non-conductive aluminum? At best,
the very thin layer of oxide on the surface is non-conductive, until you
get to a high enough voltage. And an anodized surface is also
non-conductive -- again until you get to a high enough voltage. Past
that, it conducts very well. I've had a 240 VAC difference break down
the anodize coating on a chassis thanks to a mis-wiring.

And remember -- aluminum house wiring was used for a period,
until it started starting fires as the wiring aged. So yes, aluminum
conducts quite well.

For that matter -- the leads from the meter to the breaker box
in this house are aluminum, so if it were non-conductive, I would not be
able to run the computer on which I am typing this, and would be sitting
here in the dark.

..maybe a
specialized tool for working on high rise buildings. I'm imagining a
scenarip where all the tools are made of nonconductive materials in
case of a storm.

Even a very thick anodize on aluminum would not protect against
the voltages present in a thunderstorm. Forget that theory.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Wow! I'm the guy who sent these pictures to Rob & just found this
thread.

I had no idea this would be such a tough nut to crack. Yes, I've tried
holding it different ways. The way shown in the picture (http://
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1488d.jpg) just
seemed the most "natural" but I guess it doesn't have to be like that.
I'm leaning towards the line scriber or scorer theory myself. The 1/4"
spacing would accommodate making lines of various spacings. But, that
still doesn't explain what it's actually used for.

Maybe it's a kitchen tool? Pasta cutter?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-13, humunculus wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

[...]

Well, we can forget the non-conductive component (so it won't be for
lightning protection on high rises), but not that a blade of some sort
could be screwed on.

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 9:27*am, "Mr. Shiv" wrote:
Wow! I'm the guy who sent these pictures to Rob & just found this
thread.

I had no idea this would be such a tough nut to crack. Yes, I've tried
holding it different ways. The way shown in the picture (http://
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1488d.jpg) just
seemed the most "natural" but I guess it doesn't have to be like that.
I'm leaning towards the line scriber or scorer theory myself. The 1/4"
spacing would accommodate making lines of various spacings. But, that
still doesn't explain what it's actually used for.

Maybe it's a kitchen tool? Pasta cutter?

I was leaning toward a masonry scarifier of sorts. Is there any
writing of any sort on it, or any scratches that might provide clues?

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

humunculus wrote:
On Dec 14, 9:27 am, "Mr. Shiv" wrote:
Wow! I'm the guy who sent these pictures to Rob & just found this
thread.

I had no idea this would be such a tough nut to crack. Yes, I've tried
holding it different ways. The way shown in the picture (http://
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1488d.jpg) just
seemed the most "natural" but I guess it doesn't have to be like that.
I'm leaning towards the line scriber or scorer theory myself. The 1/4"
spacing would accommodate making lines of various spacings. But, that
still doesn't explain what it's actually used for.

Maybe it's a kitchen tool? Pasta cutter?

I was leaning toward a masonry scarifier of sorts. Is there any
writing of any sort on it, or any scratches that might provide clues?

--riverman

It reminds of the serrated edge on a spreading tool for floor adhesive,
to get the right depth?

How about applying stucco, plaster, or adhesive? You could screw in
rounded points and use lock nuts to set the depth you want, and you
could space them at intervals of your choosing in 1/4" increments. You
slap the material on the surface, drag this tool across, and end up with
the depth you want with grooves at the interval you want, ready for the
next step.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-14, Mr. Shiv wrote:
Wow! I'm the guy who sent these pictures to Rob & just found this
thread.

I had no idea this would be such a tough nut to crack. Yes, I've tried
holding it different ways. The way shown in the picture (http://
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/pic1488d.jpg) just
seemed the most "natural" but I guess it doesn't have to be like that.
I'm leaning towards the line scriber or scorer theory myself. The 1/4"
spacing would accommodate making lines of various spacings. But, that
still doesn't explain what it's actually used for.

Hmm ... perhaps it is for decorative grooving of wood paneling,
in which case you might want to change the groover inserts to various
sizes for various groove widths.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
1488 no idea

Best suggestion that I've heard on this tool is that it's a carpet
stretcher that is missing the sharp points that would fit into the
holes, but I haven't been able to verify this guess.

The rest of the answers have been posted:

http://answers262a.blogspot.com/

Rob

I spent over 15 years installing floor coverings , and this is not a
carpet stretcher .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 9:10*pm, "Terry Coombs" wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
1488 no idea

Best suggestion that I've heard on this tool is that it's a carpet
stretcher that is missing the sharp points that would fit into the
holes, but I haven't been able to verify this guess.

The rest of the answers have been posted:

http://answers262a.blogspot.com/

Rob

* I spent over 15 years installing floor coverings , and this is not a
carpet stretcher .
--
* Snag
* every answer
* leads to another
* question

Besides, it seems to be traditional here that any unexplained item is
either a carpet stretcher or a wire tightener. :-)

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

humunculus fired this volley in news:3ad52c30-
:

http://answers262a.blogspot.com/

After all that, I think I remember what 1488 is...

The replacable tips are a clue. The lightweight cast handle is
another.

I believe this is a plasterer's "scratch coat rake", for back in the
day when they did two-coat plaster work over lath.

The first coat was done on the lath -- the "brown coat" or "scratch
coat". It had a nasty, organic odor to it.

When it was just to the "cheezy" stage of cure, the surface was
"scratched" to give some tooth for the finish coat.

There appears to be some nomenclature stamped on the left side of the
handle. ??

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

There appears to be some nomenclature stamped on the left side of the
handle. ??

The writing on the handle (which I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't
noticed until now) says "McBee Patent Pending".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1488: For making grooves in concrete?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

OK
I've got it.

It is a handle for sorting punched cards
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hfd...q=mcbee+handle

It is supposed to have several rods that poke out of the threaded holes.
You put the rods that match the alignment of the mounting holes for your
card set (cards like old business forms with mounting holes for a binder).
Then you can manually sort them and stack them on the rods.

Paul K. Dickman

"Mr. Shiv" wrote in message

There appears to be some nomenclature stamped on the left side of the
handle. ??

The writing on the handle (which I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't
noticed until now) says "McBee Patent Pending".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
OK
I've got it.

It is a handle for sorting punched cards
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hfd...q=mcbee+handle

It is supposed to have several rods that poke out of the threaded holes.
You put the rods that match the alignment of the mounting holes for your
card set (cards like old business forms with mounting holes for a binder).
Then you can manually sort them and stack them on the rods.

Paul K. Dickman

Thanks! That would have been very difficult to guess.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message

-----

[...]

The answer for A: it was marked "fish bowl stand".

Here is one mo

C. The metal part is about 12" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m10/imageC.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...10/imageCa.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-14, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
OK
I've got it.

It is a handle for sorting punched cards
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hfd...q=mcbee+handle

It is supposed to have several rods that poke out of the threaded holes.
You put the rods that match the alignment of the mounting holes for your
card set (cards like old business forms with mounting holes for a binder).
Then you can manually sort them and stack them on the rods.

Bingo! Except that the cards have holes all the way along one
or more edges, and to encode something, a notch is punched from the hole
to the edge. To select everything which matches something (e.g. an
expiration date in month and year, you have one month out of twelve
punched, and one of ten holes for the last digit of the year (and
perhaps one of two or three for near decades). Then, to find those
which expire in that year and month, you line up all the cards, run the
rods into the holes corresponding to the month and year, then lift and
shake. Those which match will fall free, while the rest will be
attached by at least one rod.

I used a similar system (without the fancy handle, just using
knitting needles for the sort) to handle the membership files of an
organization to which I belonged -- until I wrote computer programs to
handle it much more quickly. (Especially getting things sorted back into
alphabetic order after several extractions and updates. I forget who
sold the system (it was quite affordable), but it worked amazingly well.
And I would have liked to have the handle shown with the rods (assuming
that the spacing was right for the pre-punched cards. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Mr. Shiv" fired this volley in news:06ef1f01-
:

1488: For making grooves in concrete?

nah... not plaster, either G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 3:47*am, "Rob H." wrote:
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in ...

"Rob H." wrote in message

-----

[...]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...0/imageCa.jpg- Hide quoted text -

This looks like something that goes below a downspout to distribute
the water and avoid erosion

--riverman